BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Huntmaster
Huntmaster
Ottawa, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (Alan_nc), 243 guests, and 473 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 60
TBolt72 46
Popular Topics(Views)
609,192 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,120
Posts651,371
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grimeca brake on BSA #728028
03/08/18 8:12 pm
03/08/18 8:12 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
So my B50 special runs along pretty well and stops nicely. It has a stock front end and a WM2 19" rim and the big conical hub off a OIF twin. I recently picked up a 230mm double sided double leading shoe front brake laced into a WM2 19' Borrani rim for an extremely good price that would look pretty sweet on the bike. I have not measured anything up yet, but I am sure this has been done before (I seem to recall IOM TT marshall' s Triumphs with these brakes). Does anyone know whether the stock BSA/Triumph axle is typically modified to fit the brake, or the Grimeca axle is modified to fit the forks? Alternatively, I have a set of Ceriani's and a set of Betor's I could use with the Grimeca axle with little or no modification, but would then have to figure out mating them to the bike. Finally, I could put it on my '66 Spitfire. The advantage there is that the stock brake doesn't stop worth a damn.

Ed from NJ

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Grimeca brake on BSA [Re: edunham] #728085
03/09/18 11:20 am
03/09/18 11:20 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Scotland
Hi Ed,

Originally Posted by edunham
I recently picked up a 230mm double sided double leading shoe front brake laced into a WM2 19' Borrani rim
I am sure this has been done before (I seem to recall IOM TT marshall' s Triumphs with these brakes).

Uh-uh, IOM TT Marshalls' Triumphs had 250 mm. magnesium Fontanas - Triumph 'listed' these for production racing.

Failing anyone reading knowing for definite, as I posted for you in the Triples On Line forum, after Trevor Gleadall took over L.P. Williams from the eponymous Les and his colleagues, Trevor produced something along the lines of Les's T160-based 'Legend' although one major difference was Trevor used those 230 mm. Grimeca drums instead of the Legend's twin discs. Regrettably, only two of Trevor's bikes were built and either one or both was/were acquired by John Young after Trevor sold LPW. Whether John still has it/them I don't know but, if you can contact him, he can tell you any mods. made?

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Grimeca brake on BSA [Re: edunham] #728091
03/09/18 12:38 pm
03/09/18 12:38 pm
Near York, UK
J
JonnyD Offline
BritBike Forum member
JonnyD  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Near York, UK
I have looked at, and tried to lift, these types of double-sided brakes at shows like Stafford. They weigh about half a ton and would do nothing for the amount of time the bikes' front wheel would actually be in contact with the road when in motion. I was once warned off heavy front brakes years ago for that reason by a well known racer. Disc brakes, with their low unsprung weight are so much better. Re the poor brake on your Spitfire: if it's a 190mm this can be made into an excellent brake. Get the shoes skimmed on a lathe or grinder while they are mounted on the brake plate. Because the shoes on this brake are so wide, unless this is done, they never settle well into the drum and the result is a spongy weak brake. Once the shoes are skimmed in this way, you just need 2 fingers to work the brake and it has excellent feel too.

Re: Grimeca brake on BSA [Re: edunham] #728104
03/09/18 2:45 pm
03/09/18 2:45 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
Thanks Stewart. Jonny, I have not weighed the brake and wheel, but when I picked it up it was not noticeably heavier than the stock conical hub brake wheel, nor did it feel any heavier than the disc brake wheel on my Trident (which is admittedly non-stock: dual disc with alloy rim). In any event I am not going to put a disc on the B50, and the Grimeca is way cool! On my Spitfire, yes it has the 190mm brake. I have not tried skimming the shoes on the brake plate on a lath. I did try the poor man's version, lining the drum with sandpaper and working the plate back and forth with the cams turned. The results were underwhelming. Used to be a local guy who was a wiz with setting up brakes. He has since passed on. I will have to find someone else. Meanwhile, I just plan ahead!

Ed from NJ

Re: Grimeca brake on BSA [Re: edunham] #728182
03/10/18 3:07 am
03/10/18 3:07 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Geroge Heggie raced A 75's & Tridents.
They were all fitted with comicals and were not short of stopping power.
Trick is to put a B50 rear spring on the outer cable arm to stop it trailing on the drum and overheating the brake.
He used a pair of them, a left & a right on the arms with a very light spring between to stop the drum falling out.

Then set them up properly with the rear of each shoe adjusted as close to the drum as possible.
The brake is self energising so a shor sharp jab can lock the front wheel at 80 mph
A slow pull will allow the back of the shoe to move and give you a gradual slow stop ( from lower speeds )
The cable adjustes do nothing but remove slack from the cable.
Cable must be a good one with a tightly wound outer.
removing the front brake light switch improves them no end.

Bike Beesa
Trevor

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership