BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
sawtooth
sawtooth
New York
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (Alan_nc), 186 guests, and 425 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mums, MyrtleBeezer, Crockermc, mpotter78, Frezz
10485 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 97
franko 89
Triless 65
Popular Topics(Views)
752,359 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,895
Posts671,100
Members10,485
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Project Planning #727684
03/06/18 12:51 am
03/06/18 12:51 am
Oklahoma
T
Tracey Spear Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tracey Spear  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T

Oklahoma
I'm making progress on my 69 Thunderbolt project.

Tools:
I scored tools on Craigslist, picked up a set of offset box wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, and a full set of 3/8 drive sockets. All Craftsman from the 60's back when Craftsman made a good tool. Also included was a set of short combination wrenches, Gordon, made in Sheffield England. Those clearly have the most use. Got them all from an old Triumph guy who hasn't had a bike in years, but kept his tools all these years. They look nearly new!

Knowledge: I'm reading Building Budget Brits, this will be helpful. The section on rust removal will be helpful. The part about positive ground electrics was an eye opener I didn't see coming. My 75 Triumph and 74 Norton were all negative to ground.
I've been reading old post on the forum and I still need to order the factory service manual.

Table: I built a heavy table to use for some disassembly and probably all of the reassembly.
\
Parts: I'm building a spreadsheet of parts I know I will need just from external inspection, Pretty much everything rubber, At some point someone put stupid ape hangers on the bike so I'll need new bars and new cables for brake, clutch, and choke. Rt foot peg, Shifter lever, Exhaust, handlebars, cables, Timing primary cover and cap, fork boots, fork seals.

Planning: Given that this bike is low miles, 5997, but has been asleep for 40 years, What other parts should I consider replacing simply due to age?
I learned from an old post that valve springs compressed for 40 years will need to be replaced, hadn't thought of that but, it makes sense.

I read a post that suggested replacing main bearing due to age. Not sure I understand why. In building budget brits, the author suggest measuring everything for tolerance. THAT makes sense. Do bearings die of age? What am I missing?

I expect the top end to need a bore due to corrosion where the rings have set for so long.
I also learned from the book that I will have to get new rod cap bolts, didn't realize they were one time use only.

In the book the author advises checking pistons, crank journals, and rod journals for out of round. Should I expect such conditions given the mileage?

What else do I need to watch for in the head, valve train, bottom end, transmission or clutch simply due to age?

What about swing arm bushings, headstock bearings, wheel bearings? Valve guides, Valves?

Thanks

Tracey

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Project Planning [Re: Tracey Spear] #727697
03/06/18 2:31 am
03/06/18 2:31 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
I don't see where time, rather than mileage, would affect crank main bearings, unless they're developed rust, which would be visible on inspection.

"What else do I need to watch for in the head, valve train, bottom end, transmission or clutch simply due to age?"

You should remove, inspect, and, if necessary, clean out the sludge trap in the crank.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Project Planning [Re: Mark Z] #727704
03/06/18 4:07 am
03/06/18 4:07 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I don't see where time, rather than mileage, would affect crank main bearings, unless they're developed rust, which would be visible on inspection.

"What else do I need to watch for in the head, valve train, bottom end, transmission or clutch simply due to age?"

You should remove, inspect, and, if necessary, clean out the sludge trap in the crank.

Balls and rollers develop flat spots from sitting a long time with a load on them.
The actual contact patch on a ball is about the same area as the head of a std sewing pin and normally all of the weight ill be on eother one oor two of them.
For rollers the contact area is about the same as an old fashion razor blade.

So just like indenting the steering races / balls when you over tighten the steering stem, time does exactly the same thing.
Weather there is enough deformation to require replacement is up to the owner.
Shafts slump a tiny amount which puts a dent in the oil seals which ever if they have not dried out & gone hard will have a spot where they are not as tight as everywhere else so they need replacing.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Project Planning [Re: Tracey Spear] #727745
03/06/18 3:36 pm
03/06/18 3:36 pm
Oklahoma
T
Tracey Spear Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tracey Spear  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T

Oklahoma
Thank you for sharing BSA_WM20. I wondered about the flat spot theory, but didn't know if it would hold water.

Interesting comment as well regarding crank flex. Is that flex enough to warp the crank? or is it merely misshaping the oil seals?

This is going to be fun, 1. I've never tore into an engine like this before, and 2, it's forcing me to think about engine mechanics in way's I haven't for a very long time.

Re: Project Planning [Re: Tracey Spear] #727746
03/06/18 3:45 pm
03/06/18 3:45 pm
Oklahoma
T
Tracey Spear Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Tracey Spear  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
T

Oklahoma
I've added 67-674, Crancase Oil Seal, drive side, and 68-625, Crankshaft bearing, drive side to my parts list. Looking at the Crankshaft parts diagram I don't see any oil seal on the timing side.

Now it's starting to come together! There is no timing side oil control because the crank terminates at the bushing. THAT's why the discussion regarding lateral crank tolerance of .001-.003 at the bushing for oil flow is so important!

Now, do the same precautions apply to the bushing? Do I need to just plan on replacing bushing for the same reason? That it becomes misshapen over time?

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership