BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop JRC Engineering dealers
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
ludwig
ludwig
belgium
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Alan_nc), 182 guests, and 409 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mums, MyrtleBeezer, Crockermc, mpotter78, Frezz
10485 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 97
franko 89
Triless 65
Popular Topics(Views)
752,359 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,895
Posts671,100
Members10,485
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Sump Plate Studs [Re: eelmgren] #728221
03/10/18 5:07 pm
03/10/18 5:07 pm
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
"BSA converted from British Standard to Unified threads, not "SAE";"

Yes, I know. But I don't have a set of Unified thread gauges, nor is Unified hardware readily available here. So I use SAE gauges and hardware whenever possible, and they double nicely for most Unified applications.

"As I found with BSC and UNEF at larger diameters, the more-likely reason you couldn't fit a "SAE 7/16" X 20 stud" is the female thread was BSA standard 7/16" BSC?"

Ok, that may be helpful to know at some time. But not having 7/16" BSC OR UNEF hardware on hand, it didn't matter, as I was able to measure and make it work with SAE gauges and hardware.

I didn't mean to come off as being astute about thread forms, because I'm not. My message all along, for us Yanks at least, is to get a comprehensive set of thread gauges and not get bogged down in the alphabet soup. I've been able to maintain my A65s for many years with this approach. When I do have to employ British hardware, I order from from British Tools and Fasteners by diamter and thread density, and I always seem to get the right stuff. For those of us with multiple marques, perhaps older and/or more exotic, a more academic approach may be required.

Last edited by Mark Z; 03/10/18 5:22 pm.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Sump Plate Studs [Re: eelmgren] #728255
03/11/18 3:25 am
03/11/18 3:25 am
Owego, NY, USA
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mark Z  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Owego, NY, USA
I've been having second thoughts about some of the things I wrote. Stuart, I don't mean to disparage your vast knowledge or the time and effort you spend in sharing this knowledge with others. I get it, you can't determine thread forms with thread gauges; sometimes you just have to know. While my somewhat cavalier approach has worked for me over the years, it may not be good advice to share. Perhaps I've been lucky in some cases with good guesses. But be it known I'm not a hack either; I'm very fussy about having all my hardware clean and in good shape. When replacing hardware, I test fit everything (with fingers, never a wrench), and never force anything together that doesn't feel right.

And eelmgren, sorry if I've taken this thread off-course, and I hope you got your sump plate question resolved.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Sump Plate Studs [Re: Mark Z] #728276
03/11/18 9:43 am
03/11/18 9:43 am
Scotland
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
Stuart  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Scotland
Hi Mark,

Originally Posted by Mark Z
eelmgren, sorry if I've taken this thread off-course, and I hope you got your sump plate question resolved.

I think we answered ("eelmgren") Erik's question, the rest of the thread's Tracey's fault ... grin

My message all along, for us Yanks at least, is to get a comprehensive set of thread gauges and not get bogged down in the alphabet soup.

Problem is, I don't think we can get away from the fact that the alphabet soup comes with owning and maintaining a British vehicle made fifty or more years ago. Not helped by either different abbreviations for the same thing or the same word having different meanings in different parts of the world. frown It isn't going to become any easier to persuade people to become interested in these old heaps. Good or bad, the internet has become the first place people look for knowledge they don't have. When someone like Tracey is interested, if those of us with the knowledge want to pass it on, it's a fine line between over-complication and over-simplification ime.

While my somewhat cavalier approach has worked for me over the years,

Fwiw, I didn't think it was cavalier. Even when not forced, I don't think I'm any less guilty of 'inspired engineering' as anyone else who's had one of these old heaps for any length of time, just I don't commit mine to print. grin

Regards,

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership