BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
v8doog
v8doog
Montreal, Qc, Can.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (998John), 246 guests, and 439 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Geofft, WJS, Trondgv, Jonathan Ytterli, hunterjim00
10331 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 127
reverb 83
Lannis 61
Popular Topics(Views)
657,913 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,672
Posts657,380
Members10,331
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725543
02/14/18 9:26 am
02/14/18 9:26 am
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarcti...
Tasman Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tasman  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Tasmania - Gateway to Antarcti...
I've been running 6v on my old pre unit Triumph since forever with zero issues. I have a H4 headlight insert and got 6v halogen headlight and parking light globes from Paul Goff in the UK. I use the parking light (10w) as a daytime running light and have it on whenever I'm riding - Like I said, zero issues.

I use the cheap crimp on connectors strip the plastic and solder them on and then replace the insulation with heat shrink.

2 hours a day is a good idea. A friend told me to try and do at least one thing each day, even if it's as small as cleaning up a bolt. That plan worked for me.

"Live the life you love, find a god you trust and don't take it all too seriously"

Pre-units rule!

Mid fifties Triumph T100
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725716
02/15/18 6:01 pm
02/15/18 6:01 pm
U.S.
Magnetoman Online content

BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman  Online Content

BritBike Forum member
U.S.
Posted 10 Feb.:
Originally Posted by Lannis
I’ve got projects in my shop that have been there waiting for me for 17 or 18 years. … I have plenty of “My wife she … My dog it ….” excuses as to WHY I’m not getting it done (gardening, hobby-farming, traveling, cutting firewood, charitable volunteer work, grandchildren, etc.), but I’m not even fooling myself any more that I don’t have any time for the bikes.
- If I DON’T spend those two hours in the shop, I’ll post WHY I didn’t, and see if it looks like a sad and pitiful excuse when I look at it in writing, or if it’s real and a good reason.
Posted 11 Feb.:
Cold and nasty outside but the shop is bright, even warm, so did my first Two Hour Session.
Posted 13 Feb.
Nasty and cold today,didn't feel like heating up the shop, ran into town, did some errands
OK, since it seems no one else is going to say it, I will. Your plan lasted all of two days before your first pitiful excuse, i.e. you didn't feel like changing the setting on the thermostat.

If you don't change your mindset and force yourself to spend time in the shop until it becomes a habit, you'll always find something you'd rather be doing at that moment. And, it won't be another 17 or 18 years before you get to those projects, it will be never.

Reset the clock. Tomorrow is Day 1 of your plan. However, if you can't stick with it this time, it's time to think about facing reality and come up with a new plan.

You can do what you want to do. If you don't spend time working on those projects it's not because you can't, it's because you don't want to. That's fine if it's the case, but there's no use fooling yourself if it is.

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Magnetoman] #725720
02/15/18 7:30 pm
02/15/18 7:30 pm
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Netherlands
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
If you don't change your mindset and force yourself to spend time in the shop until it becomes a habit, you'll always find something you'd rather be doing at that moment. And, it won't be another 17 or 18 years before you get to those projects, it will be never. .

I have to agree with MM here, the point is that if one always find an excuse for not doing anything in the workshop you must ask yourself "do I realy like doing this?", As a pensioner, "I have no time" can rarely be accepted as an excuse anyway.
I personally would not own any old bike or car if I did not like wrenching on a regular basis, particularly during wintertime when the possibilities for riding are limited.
More often than not, my wife has to drag me out of the shop, and tell me that it's been enough for today. grin

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725725
02/15/18 8:10 pm
02/15/18 8:10 pm
Elko, Nevada USA
dave - NV Offline
BritBike Forum member
dave - NV  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Elko, Nevada USA
Wintertime in the garage/shop ... Many years ago I decided it was ridiculous to be wearing a parka while working on my bikes in the winter time. At that time money was short (kids) and I tried various portable heaters with poor results. So I scrounged up enough for a natural gas heater that hangs from the ceiling with a on/off switch on the thermostat and went to the effort of piping the gas and fitting a thru the roof vent. Nice. When we moved to a larger home (kids) I took the heater along and fitted it as I have now and will be using it in comfort this PM.
Why am I telling this? Because that heater is one of the nicest items supporting my motor bikes (disease?) and I strongly suggest any of you without shop heat in the cold northern areas to eliminate that excuse, "It's too cold to work today".

Last edited by dave - NV; 02/15/18 8:11 pm.

dave - NV
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725738
02/15/18 9:35 pm
02/15/18 9:35 pm
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Netherlands
Don't know what winters in Nevada are like, but I have to admit that I have a heated wokshop, so I can spend my time there in comfort there during winter.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725744
02/15/18 10:31 pm
02/15/18 10:31 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa
ohio, usa

So after a two-hour fettling session, I’ve made a little list of things that need replacing … maybe one of our vendors will have an order blank already filled up for me! Or not.

peter quick did that for me for my 441.

i tolsd him what i was doing, he made a list, and bought like three of everything so i could do it twice more.

i have no idea what i'm doing.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725764
02/16/18 2:09 am
02/16/18 2:09 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member
Lannis  Online Content OP

Life member
Central Virginia
Tonight was all WD-40, degreaser, rags and brushes. Worked about an hour and a half on the Guzzi transmission, realized that I was going to need some Q-tips to get all the grunge out of the recesses and exterior webbing (this is an assembled transmission), so came into the house, got a handful of said Q-tips, had a cup of tea, went back out, and realized that I'd forgotten and left a 6-gallon can of gasoline syphoning into my 55-gallon drum of non-ethanol stabilized gasoline - I had miscalculated what I needed and 3 gallons of gasoline were on the floor of the garage.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. First for not measuring correctly (I'd already put 20 gallons in). Second for leaving the syphon running unattended while I came in. Like putting the kettle on "High" and walking away and doing something else until it burns up ....

Now careful careful careful, sopped up all the liquid gasoline with two rolls of shop towels and an old terry-cloth towel, and carefully left the shop open, lights on, radio playing, and it's going to stay that way while the fumes dissipate, I'm not throwing any switches in there tonight. OR snapping any flash pictures!!

Probably next 2 sessions will be the same (minus the spilled gas). I want the motor, clutch housing, and transmission CLEAN so that I can assemble them with no gritty residue on threads or stud holes, no grimy hands, no cracks hidden under dirt.

Plan is 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, 500 hours a year. So far so good, 3 of the last 5 days, gotta do the next 5 with only one break. Softly softly catchee monkey.

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725776
02/16/18 6:42 am
02/16/18 6:42 am
Christchurch NZ
R Moulding Offline
BritBike Forum member
R Moulding  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Christchurch NZ

Well Chaps, I don't mean to jump to Mr Lannis's defence. However for 25 years (I'm 40) I've been in the motor trade working year round in open unheated garages, I even remember a point in my late teens when I was building a wind break from snow so I could do a clutch, outside on a coach. That sort of rubbish is all well and good when your being paid but I don't get cold for fun. If the work shop is to cold then sit indoors with the Missus and a Baileys coffee and make a parts list.

Rod

So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth;
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: R Moulding] #725795
02/16/18 12:33 pm
02/16/18 12:33 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by R Moulding

Well Chaps, I don't mean to jump to Mr Lannis's defence. However for 25 years (I'm 40) I've been in the motor trade working year round in open unheated garages, I even remember a point in my late teens when I was building a wind break from snow so I could do a clutch, outside on a coach. That sort of rubbish is all well and good when your being paid but I don't get cold for fun. If the work shop is to cold then sit indoors with the Missus and a Baileys coffee and make a parts list.

Rod

Rod - Actually, my shop is heated with a 7500 watt electric heater ... BUT being fairly large and with a high ceiling, it takes a while for it to warm up, like a couple of hours. If you don't plan ahead a bit, it's bedtime before you warm up, so the advice about "morning work" being more effective is good. 7500 watts x 10 hours = 75 KwH x $.10/KwH = $7.50 a day to heat it up good. Just part of the cost of winter, I suppose .... No excuse today, Fay's just going to have to understand that I've got work to do on HER BIRTHDAY ... laughing facepalm

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: R Moulding] #725801
02/16/18 2:10 pm
02/16/18 2:10 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by R Moulding

Well Chaps, I don't mean to jump to Mr Lannis's defence....
Rod

Hey, WAIT a minute. What kind of way is that to start a post .... ? frown wink

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725805
02/16/18 2:28 pm
02/16/18 2:28 pm
Springfield Nebraska
Richrd Offline

BritBike Forum member
Richrd  Offline

BritBike Forum member
Springfield Nebraska
yeah really, I would never jump to his defence.

Rich (member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725807
02/16/18 3:12 pm
02/16/18 3:12 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
melbourne florida
Mite want to add a large assortment of different size shrink tube to the list. I've always on big projects done the chassis & suspension first and get a jamup roller ready for a power train.
Good on ya to start plugging away, and the A-10 will be a happy motorbike to be back out this spring.

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #725960
02/18/18 2:16 am
02/18/18 2:16 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Lining up for two hours of shop work, and a tornado hit … consisting of my three grandchildren and their parents. We had a great day together, and when Mom and Grandma were putting the 5,4, and 2-year-old to bed, I said “Come on son, I’ve got a commitment to meet” and we went out to the shop.
Sat down and had a very social time with brushes, rags, Qtips, solvent, 80’s music on the radio, talking of old times, and scrubbing up the Guzzi clutch cavity. We discussed how best to remove the rear main crank seal, and I also realized I’m going to need to replace the front transmission mainshaft seal. These dry clutches are a bugger to deal with …. !
But at the end, we got all the horrible black grunge (see past pictures) off and ready to do some actual engine and transmission work …
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
So that feels good, and I promise you I never would have done it if I didn’t know I had to account to the thread here. But my son and I had a great time talking old days over, and progress has been made ….
Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726210
02/20/18 2:39 am
02/20/18 2:39 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Well, the grandkids went home last night .... today was cleaning up, doing my 2017 taxes, and Fay and I going to see our financial adviser (you retirees know who I mean, I hope!) for our annual review, which came out pretty good with only a few changes in plans. We have only about a 30% exposure to the stock market, which means that we did pretty good but not as well as the market recently. ON THE OTHER HAND, when the inevitable correction comes ... we'll still be in good shape.

Shop time tonight was spent on my Ryobi backpack leaf blower (broken throttle linkage, and that with only 5 hours on the silly thing). I knew I should have spent an extra $150 and bought a Stihl or Echo. Throttle pieces on order.

[Linked Image]

The rest of the time was spent poring over Dave Richardson's "Guzziology" book, the definitive Bible on Moto Guzzi repair. Just because I've pulled the transmission from a Tonti-framed Guzzi doesn't mean I know what to do with it now that I've got it, so I'm checking to see what I need to do. I've found that I need to replace two seals and the shift-return spring while I've got it in my hands, and I've got to figure out how to do that without springs and things flying all over the shop when it opens .....

[Linked Image]

More anon ....

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726386
02/22/18 2:46 am
02/22/18 2:46 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Busy day today .... son took off early from work so we could go out in the woods and cut up some downed oak, spent quite a bit of time fooling with the saws, sharpening chains, replacing a ruined chain, etc ...

In the shop this evening, tackled removing the rear main crank seal from the Guzzi. Had to grind a tool from an old screwdriver to get it, and it still took a good 30 minutes of careful prying to get it out. It was tight ... the usual dodge of putting a couple sheet-metal screws into the seal and pulling on those would never have worked. Softly catchee monkey, and even more softly make sure you don't damage the crankcase sealing surface or the crank itself, or the leaks will never end. No pics, I'll photo putting in the new seal next session ....

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726389
02/22/18 4:09 am
02/22/18 4:09 am
Back on the mainland!
JubeePrince Offline

Life member
JubeePrince  Offline

Life member
Back on the mainland!
Stay on it Lannis, I'm counting on seeing that Guzzi assembled soon...

I pulled the head on the Jubilee back before Xmas, had it soda blasted and there it's sat since. I want to put a little paint on the cylinder.....the warm day today would have been perfect to paint, but I decided to ride the modern bike instead!

I'll get 'er done in the next day or two....thanks for the motivation and see you tomorrow!

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726506
02/23/18 2:38 am
02/23/18 2:38 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Picking up where I left off last night, where I had pulled the rear main crank seal on the 1000cc Guzzi engine, not because the old one was leaking but because it’s an enormous pain to get here and might as well replace the rubber bits while you’re here.
A half-hour’s careful prying and pulling had left me here, with the seal out:

[Linked Image]

I had been VERY smart in this case and bought the proper seal-installing tool for this application! It’s the same main seal for every big-block Guzzi from the 60’s to now, so I’ll probably actually use it more than once …

[Linked Image]

It seats the seal exactly where it should be, so you don’t have to guess at the fraction of a millimeter that it should sit into the casting …

[Linked Image]

I decided I need a transmission mainshaft seal too … so I figured as long as I have to send off an order to the Guzzi shop, I may as well get my Guzzi Stelvio front end sorted too, and get those parts on the same order. Something went wrong with it on my last ride … lost all compression damping (boingy, boingy, not very good on bumpy turns) and spraying oil out the top of the fork.

So roll it to where I can get to it …. Those kind of headlights is why I sometimes ride my modern bikes at night, but not my old ones …. !

[Linked Image]

and get out the proper tools .. and a clean comfy place to roll my shop stool ...

[Linked Image]

And take off the brakes and wheels and free up the forks and WHOA!

[Linked Image]

No, that’s not supposed to happen on these forks any more than it’s supposed to happen on your late model Triumph or BSA forks ….
Something’s broke!
[Linked Image]

Well, that seemed like all I needed tonight. For those of you wondering what I’m doing with a Crescent wrench when I’m supposed to have proper tools, the Guzzi front axle nut is 26 mm, and I don’t have one … but it’s only a few foot-pounds, so there’s no strain on the nut or wrench ….

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726512
02/23/18 3:43 am
02/23/18 3:43 am
Trenton, New Jersey
royaloilfield Offline
BritBike Forum member
royaloilfield  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Trenton, New Jersey
Thanks for the motivation!!!

Brian
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726552
02/23/18 3:44 pm
02/23/18 3:44 pm
melbourne florida
B
bodine031 Offline
BritBike Forum member
bodine031  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
melbourne florida
Small slide hammer with a sheet metal screw can make seal removal less of a pain. Is that a Morgan behind the Norty???

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: bodine031] #726558
02/23/18 4:40 pm
02/23/18 4:40 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by bodine031
Small slide hammer with a sheet metal screw can make seal removal less of a pain. Is that a Morgan behind the Norty???

Small sheet metal screw and a slide hammer was the original plan. This one was WAY too tight for a sheet metal screw to hold in the rubber seal body, and I didn't want to take a chance nicking the casting sealing surface, so I did it the hard but safe way ...

Yes, that's a '66 Morgan 4/4 ...

[Linked Image]

which has been sitting awaiting new wiring for many a year until I get the motorcycles done. Maybe this plan will allow me to get to it! It's too nice a car to just be sitting around ....

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726616
02/24/18 1:39 am
02/24/18 1:39 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Solid two hours in the shop tonight … Fay was even with me, she was doing something she HATES but volunteers to do anyway (we’re in love, you know), which is clean up as much of the shop as she can …

[Linked Image]

This is the back part, with books, camping stuff, and a place for us to “Work Out” if we’re ever so inclined (so far, not so much).
I spent time getting my Ryobi backpack blower back together successfully and off the workbench, it’s up and running.

[Linked Image]

I’ve learned something over the years. Buying cheap on-line or big-box equipment just because it’s half the cost of a Stihl or Echo is a false economy in the end. I usually reason thus: “I’m not a professional landscaper/woodsman/farmer, so I won’t put many hours on this and a cheap one will do fine.” HOWEVER, the cheap ones go bad faster just sitting there, plastic bits break off for a nothing, and they’re a lot harder to work on than the good stuff. I’ve got nothing against Ryobi, they’re OK machines for what they are, but if this were an Echo I wouldn’t have spent 2 hours changing out a cable and wiring harness after 4 running hours of service, I’ll betcha.

Trying to get back to working on the bikes, I found a bunch of stuff in my way. So I took some photos, weighed the boxes, packed it up, and a few things are going to eBay and OUT OF MY WAY!

[Linked Image]

It’s slow but it’s all gotta be done …

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726637
02/24/18 4:33 am
02/24/18 4:33 am
Beautiful North Carolina
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
HughdeMann  Offline
BritBike Forum member
Beautiful North Carolina
When it comes to buying tools of any kind, I follow my son in law's advice. Always buy the best available.

That way he'll inherit good stuff!

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #726729
02/25/18 2:15 am
02/25/18 2:15 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
No pics tonight .... took apart the leaking, something's-wrong front fork leg from the Stelvio on the bench (spilling oil everywhere, I'd forgotten how much oil is in those big 50mm fork legs). I haven't figured out what's wrong yet, but have the manual in hand and will go through it step by step. Coming down with a cold that I caught from Fay, hope I get it over with quick while it's raining out .... !

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: NickL] #726767
02/25/18 2:35 pm
02/25/18 2:35 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by NickL
The Morgan is lovely, but it needs a set of chrome wire wheels with knockoff hubs.

As the old Hindu proverb says, "I will change my clothes and my religion ... but you must pay for it!"

If it's really bothering you, I'll certainly accept a donation of some appropriate hubs and wheels! whistle

Lannis

Re: Two Hours A Day .... [Re: Lannis] #727020
02/28/18 2:55 am
02/28/18 2:55 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Online content OP

Life member

Life member
Central Virginia
Shop and me are offline for a couple of days, I've got a drippy nose, sore throat, and headachy since Sunday ... first cold I've had in years.

Should be back to normal in a day or two ....

Lannis

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Richrd 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership