BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
v8doog
v8doog
Montreal, Qc, Can.
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (998John), 246 guests, and 439 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Geofft, WJS, Trondgv, Jonathan Ytterli, hunterjim00
10331 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 127
reverb 83
Lannis 61
Popular Topics(Views)
657,913 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,672
Posts657,380
Members10,331
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Frame number location #725532
02/14/18 3:58 am
02/14/18 3:58 am
Omaha, NE, USA
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Omaha, NE, USA
Hi all,
my apologies, but I am a brand new Ariel owner - purchased a nice, partially restored, 1958 Square Four. Unfortunately, the PO had the frame powder coated and it completely obliterated the frame number. I will not be able to register the bike in my state without the number being evident. All I know about the location is it is somewhere under the seat. Since I do not wish to blindly sand off parts of the frame looking for the number, I wonder if someone could please give me the precise location of the frame number on a plunger frame. Is it on the horizontal member, downtube, upper part, right side etc.?

Also, I have the owner's manual and the parts book, but there is a dearth of good diagrams, especially of the cycle parts - is there the equivalent of a Hayne's manual out there?
Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Frame number location [Re: Paul Sammut] #725582
02/14/18 5:18 pm
02/14/18 5:18 pm
CALIFORNIA
S
slow learner Offline
BritBike Forum member
slow learner  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
CALIFORNIA
I have '53 and '56 mk2 sq 4 frames. The frame # for the '53 is stamped on the top rt side of the large lug below the seat. There is another number stamped on the bottom of this lug but that is something else. On the '56 frame the frame # is stamped on the steeringhead lug on the right side adjacent to the side car mount. Ariel seems to have been obsessed with inventory control so lugs have a number of different #'s stamped into them. You need to know the prefix of the # you are looking for. I believe your frame should be like my '56 frame. The Ariel parts books really suck when compared to BSA, Triumph and Velocette books I'm familiar with. Lots of parts are not illustrated. I refer to photos in the book "Ariel, the post war models" and look at friends bikes when I need a go-by.

good luck

Larry

Laurence Luce
Re: Frame number location [Re: Paul Sammut] #725610
02/14/18 7:57 pm
02/14/18 7:57 pm
Omaha, NE, USA
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Omaha, NE, USA
Many thanks, Larry, I’ll keep looking. I found evidence of a number on the horizontal (uppermost) portion of the large lug under the seat, but that’s not long enough and I cannot see having to remove the seat to look at your frame number. There is also a flat portion on the right side of the lug immediately below (connected to the rear “horizontal” tube that goes back to rear plunger - might this contain the elusive number. Otherwise, i’ll Need to start removing the paint on the front down tube.
Paul.

Paul

'74 Commando
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four
Re: Frame number location [Re: Paul Sammut] #725625
02/14/18 9:59 pm
02/14/18 9:59 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
Paul,
Before you remove paint, try rubbing the suspected areas with chalk, it may reveal the numbers.

Ed from NJ

Re: Frame number location [Re: Paul Sammut] #725665
02/15/18 4:43 am
02/15/18 4:43 am
Omaha, NE, USA
Paul Sammut Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Paul Sammut  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Omaha, NE, USA
Thank you, Ed. Did just that with talcum powder - and found the number! On the right side down tube below the steering head, as suggested by Larry. I'll now try polishing it just enough to make th number more visible - and arm myself with talc when I go to the DMV.
Cheers all.

Paul

'74 Commando
'15 R1200 GS Adv
'51 Vincent Rapide
'58 Ariel Square Four

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership