BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
Jwood & co JRC Engineering dealers Jwood & co
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Huntmaster
Huntmaster
Ottawa, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
40 registered members (Alan_nc), 244 guests, and 472 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
hondapete1950, Gaspare, eberhard, Norman Woollons, LandoLando
10257 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Stuart 76
Lannis 60
TBolt72 46
Popular Topics(Views)
609,192 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,120
Posts651,371
Members10,257
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726674
02/24/18 6:59 pm
02/24/18 6:59 pm
Scotland
kommando Online content
BritBike Forum member
kommando  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Scotland
I fitted a choke to my VS, it does help on cold starts plus perversely on warm starts, on the warm starts I am guessing it is helping with warm fuel but carb is cool as I have a long alloy manifold and a double thickness tufnol spacer. On warm starts it 8 strokes as soon as it catches so you have to be quick turning the choke off.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726688
02/24/18 9:21 pm
02/24/18 9:21 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
On my B44 Shooting Star I'm using a JRC carb which has an enrichment circuit to help with cold starts, this info won't be of any use to you as you're getting a brand new AMAL carb which is a good move.

IMHO the choke mechanism on AMAL Concentric carbs is a crude mechanism which I have never felt to be necessary for cold starts unless in extreme cold circumstances. My A65 uses twin AMAL 930 Concentric carbs without any chokes fitted. I can easily start this bike in the coldest South UK winter months by simply using the tickler and maybe up to five kicks. In the summer it usually needs one kick.

I feel that cold starts are dependant on the ambient conditions and choke slides only really help in very cold climates. I would imagine that in Brisbane the climate would be favourable to easy starting without needing a choke if everything is set up ok.

Some ideas to help with cold starts as follows:-
- you need to use fresh fuel no more than 2 months old, modern fuels contain alcohol which will evaporate and/or absorb water which will reduce the potency
- spark plugs seem to be more prone to fouling with modern petrol so check and change as required
- AMAL and other carbs are prone to the idle circuits gumming up if the bike is not run for a while, so try to clean out and use fresh fuel
- I have found that the AMAL carb jetting & configuration as originally specified by BSA usually works well if everything else (e.g. exhaust etc.) is standard.
- My starting procedure is to stand on the right side of the bike with the bike on the centre stand or side stand. I use my right leg to bring the piston up until compression is starting to be felt, I then kick hard which brings the piston past TDC and usually starts the engine. I rarely the the de-compressor.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by gunner; 02/24/18 9:33 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: gunner] #726952
02/27/18 12:41 pm
02/27/18 12:41 pm
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Gunner and others, My carby arrived today. It has a fixed pilot jet, 220 main, 106 needle and clip in middle slot so I installed it just like that. It has a choke but I have no cable so I blocked off the hole. It did not even look like starting using my usual technique. So I fitted the choke using a temporary cable. Still no good. Not even a backfire. Turned the fuel off. Then for some reason it started and ran perfectly so after letting it cool down and I removed the choke and it would not start. I think I know the problem now. I must never use the tickler. And I might have told you I fitted an extended stop screw and this is the secret. (in my case anyway). This is my latest procedure. Fuel on, find compression, pull decomp lever and push piston down a bit, never tickle, no throttle and kick. If it does not start give a full turn on the stop screw and try again. And it will start. I took it for a ride and it performed perfect and of course I had to wind the stop screw back once it had warmed up. I think my whole problem from the start was I had a 3.5 slide instead of a 3 which is why the air screw had to be so far in, and I used the tickler, flooding the engine. I will do more tests tomorrow and hopefully confirm the above is true. Now when it is hot I can now adjust the air screw to 1.25 turns out for a nice even tick over.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726963
02/27/18 2:25 pm
02/27/18 2:25 pm
Kent, England
J
John Alexander Offline
BritBike Forum member
John Alexander  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Kent, England
Just an observation, seems your technique is ok, especially with the new carb but when you say air screw, shouldn't it be the mixture screw, sorry to be pernickety. Also in normal cases the throttle stop screw for tick over, once the mixture has been correctly adjusted should only be adjusted once and and then left alone, but good news after all your frustration.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726970
02/27/18 4:21 pm
02/27/18 4:21 pm
Oregon
D
Dana_twin Offline
BritBike Forum member
Dana_twin  Offline
BritBike Forum member
D
Oregon
just saw this thread, I've had the same issue hard start issue on my 67 VS as can be seen from the other thread, and had a similar experience,

I changed out the carb and the bike runs, but is still bloody hard to start.

I've had it on good authority to put in a new 12 volt stator and fresh rotor, new coil and Podtronics regulator/rectifier +swap out the ET AAU for a 12 degree one and put in a later 6CA AAU points plate, but that's about $500 US in parts and I'm done sinking dosh into the bike.

So... I've got the bike on eBay right now for $1500 with best offer... when it runs it does run fine, but the buyer must expect a good work out -- at least until the ignition issue is addressed!

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726989
02/27/18 9:01 pm
02/27/18 9:01 pm
Farnham, Surrey, UK
gunner Online content
BritBike Forum member
gunner  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Farnham, Surrey, UK
Hi Creaky,

some further thoughts on your starting problems:-

I think I know the problem now. I must never use the tickler.

Something is not right if this is your approach. Cold starting uses two techniques to help enrich-en the mixture as follows:-
- The tickler is intended to flood the float chamber and supply additional fuel for cold starts
- The choke is intended to restrict air flow and increase vacuum causing more air/fuel through the idle circuit

The above can be used independently of each other or together. As mentioned I believe simply tickling will work in warmer climates whilst both tickling and choke are more appropriate for cold climates. If you're finding the choke helps with starting but the tickler doesn't, this may be an indication of other issues.

Even though your carb is new its still possible the idle circuit could be partially blocked with crud. This can happen since the pot metal carb material can oxidize even a few months after manufacture, so maybe worth cleaning out. Also set the air screw to 1 1/2 turns out, this is the default setting.

Your point about only starting after raising the slide are revealing. This would also seem to show that the idle circuit is not working as intended.

Regarding the air slide, looking at the parts lists for 1968 B44's shows a No 3 slide was used whilst 1970 used a No 3 1/2 slide, I dont know why there was a difference.

Something else to check is the throttle cable slack. I've been confounded a couple of times by throttle cables which are slightly too short and dont let the air slide fully bottom. This can cause all manner of starting problems so worth a check.

There's a great article on AMAL Carb Tuning by John Healey, see page 6 At this Link

I would also be checking the ignition timing, compression and valve train as these can also have a big affect on starting.

Anyway sounds like you have made good progress so far, keep at it smile

Last edited by gunner; 02/27/18 9:10 pm.

1968 A65 Firebird
1967 B44 Shooting Star
1972 Norton Commando
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #726991
02/27/18 9:13 pm
02/27/18 9:13 pm
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
John, No I did mean the idle speed adjust screw............ (give a full turn on the stop screw).............. Now it's going well I won't touch the mixture screw. It will remain 1.25 turns out. The reason I screw the idle speed adjust screw in is I don't trust myself not to flick the throttle as I am kicking it so I hold my right hand on the handlebars somewhere else. But it needs a small amount of throttle to start so I use the screw instead of trying to hold the throttle at that small amount. I don't wind it back till the engine is well warmed up. I have an extended stop screw and have pushed a piece of rubber fuel pipe over the end so I can turn it by hand. I wish it was the knurled type you can get for the monoblocks,(I think)............ and Dana, Don't give up. Try what I have done. Jet the carby as per original specs, never use the tickler, wind up the stop screw and keep your hand off the throttle. It may work for you too. I am now fairly sure my original problem was technique and the reason for the mixture screw having to be so far in was that it had a 3.5 slide, (too lean) instead of the recommended 3. Having said all that I will do more testing today and make sure I am not leading you all up the garden path. (PS Never using the tickler could be fine provided your float level is right and the needle and seat are perfect)

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Dana_twin] #726992
02/27/18 9:14 pm
02/27/18 9:14 pm
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member
Central Virginia
Originally Posted by Dana_twin

So... I've got the bike on ebay right now for $1500 with best offer... when it runs it does run fine, but the buyer must expect a good work out -- at least until the ignition issue is addressed!

Looks like a great deal for a 441 enthusiast! And an honest description ...

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727001
02/27/18 10:15 pm
02/27/18 10:15 pm
Ewing. NJ
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
edunham  Offline
BritBike Forum member
E
Ewing. NJ
I mentioned before that I had a similar experience with my B50. No tickling and it starts right up. Tickle it and it won't start. All my other Brit bikes like a good tickle when cold (like me!), including my 441, but not my B50. It has a fresh top end and a new AMAL Premier with the correct float level. Took a while to figure out. If it hasn't been started in a while, I flick the tickler down for an instant (force of habit), but not enough for any fuel to come out, use the compression release to cycle the motor through and get a little fuel in the cylinder, then use the old kick starting ritual I learned on my Velo, confident that it will start on the first kick. It usually does.

Ed from NJ

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727270
03/02/18 9:29 am
03/02/18 9:29 am
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I went for a good long ride today and the bike performs perfectly. It starts first kick using my method described above. The new carby probably solved the problem but now I think about it I could have saved a lot of money by just buying a new No. 3 slide and the extended stop screw. And, of course perfected the method of starting. This may not work for all of you as all bikes are different but my method is: don't use the tickler, no choke (I don't have one), little bit of throttle (with the stop screw), get the piston in the right position and it starts every time, hot or cold. Also as my needle and seat are new I never turn the fuel off unless I'm not using it for a while. Now I have dis-proved the myth that B44s are hard to start I will start a thread on my next project about the clutch. I am told they are always very heavy to pull in. See me in that thread and thanks to you all for your help. Best make this the last of this one as 3 pages is almost a record. And PS I very nearly wasted more money on electronic ignition.Nothing wrong with points.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727315
03/02/18 8:34 pm
03/02/18 8:34 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S
Sydney, Oz
Jeff Skillon in Maitland sells extended, knurled, throttle stop screws amongst other goodies for AMAL Concentrics.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727322
03/02/18 10:29 pm
03/02/18 10:29 pm
Bolton Lancs UK
A
Andy Higham Online content
BritBike Forum member
Andy Higham  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A
Bolton Lancs UK
One of the shortcomings of Mk1 concentrics and earlier carbs is the lack of a starter circuit. The choke arrangement does not help starting as the choke slide is inside the throttle slide. Tickling the carb raises the fuel level to momentarily richen the mixture by an indeterminate amount.
More modern carbs use a starter circuit with its own air intake, fuel jet and slide to deliver a precise mixture for starting

1955 BSA B31 500cc "Stargazer"
1962 Greeves 200cc "Blue Meanie"
1962/67 Greeves 350
1967 Greeves 360 Challenger
1984 Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500cc sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500cc "Llareggub"
2003 Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727325
03/02/18 11:14 pm
03/02/18 11:14 pm
Isle of Wight, UK
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
koan58  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
Isle of Wight, UK
"The new carby probably solved the problem but now I think about it I could have saved a lot of money by just buying a new No. 3 slide and the extended stop screw."

This doesn't necessarily follow because:

#1 the pilot jet is now in a better position for your application

#2 the new carb is unworn in respect of air leakage around the slide

The only way to come to the above conclusion would be to put the 3 slide in the old carb and see.

I wouldn't expect you to waste your time doing this, purely for science, but it is obvious that the engine wanted a richer (and more atomised) mixture at (very near to) closed throttle.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727541
03/04/18 9:24 pm
03/04/18 9:24 pm
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Koan58, I agree with you and I would try the 30 slide in the old carby except I drilled out the part where the mixture screw would go in the opposite side to double check there was no obstruction and seeing it all ok I then drilled out the brass piece under the body (inside the float chamber area) to expose the mixing chamber and check out those 2 tiny holes. All was ok there also. The first drillout is easy to repair but not so the brass plate. BTW I did this after I got my new carby on the bike and running well. And, Shane, I'll try to track down that bloke in Maitland.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Shane in Oz] #727542
03/04/18 9:29 pm
03/04/18 9:29 pm
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Shane, Have you any contact details for Jeff Skillon

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727547
03/04/18 9:59 pm
03/04/18 9:59 pm
Isle of Wight, UK
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
koan58  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K
Isle of Wight, UK
Good result Cranky, that's what's important, enjoy!

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727597
03/05/18 7:46 am
03/05/18 7:46 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Creaky,
PM me ( bsansw1attpgdotcomdotau) with your email address & I will have a ferret around in the obsolete parts box.
I am fairly sure I came across a Walbro or Nikki welch plug that looks about the right size for a Concentric primary mixing chamber.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 03/05/18 7:48 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727699
03/06/18 3:39 am
03/06/18 3:39 am
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
C
Creaky Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Creaky  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
C
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hey Koan, I'm Creaky not Cranky, but sometimes........ and Trevor, I have just PMd you, thanks.

Re: Victor Special hard to start [Re: Creaky] #727706
03/06/18 4:12 am
03/06/18 4:12 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B
Sydney Australia
Excellent.
That is an obsolete address I set up for the BSA BSA club before we bought our own domain and it resides on an old computer I keep for doing artwork on so I fire it up tonight, ferret around the workshop and post you out some.
And the shops you are looking for are BJ Bike Bits & Mikes Classic Parts , both a short ride from Brissie.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership