BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Ian Clifton
Ian Clifton
Rotherham, UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
38 registered members (bill50cal), 226 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tacet, Joe Bruney, Chip, Froger, Calthorpe
10413 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 83
Rohan 81
Triless 81
reverb 76
Stuart 72
Popular Topics(Views)
703,407 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,265
Posts664,595
Members10,413
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #720673
01/01/18 12:32 am
01/01/18 12:32 am
Central Virginia
Lannis Offline

Life member
Lannis  Offline

Life member

Central Virginia
That's great of you guys to be lining up bikes for the visitors! I'll wager it's going to be a great rally.

I ran the numbers, though, and I'm not going to be able to make it. Fay and I will have JUST gotten back from about 6 weeks on the bike in the USA, and we'll have too much going on at home to be able to head out again so soon.

We thought about putting our "see the USA on your Triumph" trip off, but we've already put it off three or four times, and if we don't go ahead and do it we might NOT do it. So as much as we'd like to see Australia, and partake of your BSA hospitality there, I'll have to put off my next International visit until Wales 2019 ....

Lannis

I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is really going to be upset.
Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Lannis] #720687
01/01/18 2:03 am
01/01/18 2:03 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
From my rather limited experience of the USA, April/May or September/October seem to be the best time to do it.The NZ Triumph riders who came along to the big photo shoot at the 2014 rally spent another 2 or 3 weeks riding over to the east coast and back seemed to have a fun trip. It makes sense to do the cold country in warmer weather and warm country in cooler. You could always bring it forward and do both trips, but no politics stirring smile

For those that can make it and can be away from home, work, etc for more than just the week or so for the rally, our current plan is to take around 3 days to ride down via the coast from Penrith and across the Snowy Mountains (which definitely aren't snowy in November), and about the same coming back inland. According to Google Maps, it's 250 - 300 miles (around 6 hours travel time) per day avoiding highways, which gives time for tourist spots, decent lunch stop, etc.

Down:
  • Penrith - Bega
  • Bega - Myrtleford
  • Myrtleford - Halls Gap.

Return:
  • Halls Gap - Hay
  • Hay - Cowra
  • Cowra - Penrith

That's the current draft, anyway. It's subject to revision as better ideas come up.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #720714
01/01/18 11:00 am
01/01/18 11:00 am
Stafford, UK
Andy Lorenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Andy Lorenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Stafford, UK
Shane. are you offering to lend bikes to people for the rally, or just for a run (Musket Ball ?)

People both here in the UK and in other countries would be very interested in a loan bike, and I can put you in contact with them if you wish.

Insurance would of course need to be watertight.
regards
Andy Lorenz
BSA International Rally Secretary (BSAOC UK)

Thrash, Bang, Re-Build...
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Andy Lorenz] #720792
01/01/18 8:24 pm
01/01/18 8:24 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by Andy Lorenz
Shane. are you offering to lend bikes to people for the rally, or just for a run (Musket Ball ?)

People both here in the UK and in other countries would be very interested in a loan bike, and I can put you in contact with them if you wish.

There are constraints imposed by the number of bikes I can dig up and transport. We're just over 1,000 km from the rally site, so the limiting factor really is being able to get everything back home. I'll know more later, but at this stage the provisional maximum is 8 bikes total - 6 loaners. The Britbike crew are like extended family (arguments and all) and some of the guys here were very helpful with our Petaluma trip, so BB-ers get first dibs. If we can round up more bikes, utes, trailers, etc, we can manage a few more.
The Musketball run is our smaller version of Magneto Man's Cannonball, involving fewer, newer bikes ding a shorter distance smile
... and a lot less preparation, it must be said.

regards
Andy Lorenz

Our NSW Conditional Registration includes third party injury cover, and the bikes will have Comprehensive property insurance as well - things can go wrong despite best intentions.
On that front, warn everybody to be very careful of the terms of any travel insurance. Most policies only cover riding motorcycles under 200cc, but the "adventure" or "extreme sports" policies will often extend to risky activities like riding old BSAs.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #720794
01/01/18 8:49 pm
01/01/18 8:49 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz

There are constraints imposed by the number of bikes I can dig up and transport. We're just over 1,000 km from the rally site, so the limiting factor really is being able to get everything back home. I'll know more later, but at this stage the provisional maximum is 8 bikes total - 6 loaners. The Britbike crew are like extended family (arguments and all) and some of the guys here were very helpful with our Petaluma trip, so BB-ers get first dibs. If we can round up more bikes, utes, trailers, etc, we can manage a few more.
The Musketball run is our smaller version of Magneto Man's Cannonball, involving fewer, newer bikes riding a shorter distance smile
... and a lot less preparation, it must be said.

regards
Andy Lorenz

Our NSW Conditional Registration includes third party injury cover, and the bikes will have Comprehensive property insurance as well - things can go wrong despite best intentions.
On that front, warn everybody to be very careful of the terms of any travel insurance. Most policies only cover riding motorcycles under 200cc, but the "adventure" or "extreme sports" policies will often extend to risky activities like riding old BSAs.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721103
01/04/18 9:49 pm
01/04/18 9:49 pm
Stafford, UK
Andy Lorenz Offline
BritBike Forum member
Andy Lorenz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Stafford, UK
Shipping Agents required in Melbourne Area

I’m organising the shipping of bikes from the UK to Melbourne.
We are going to have a container full, however we have a problem.

The shipping company I normally use Oakbridge International can ship the bikes, however their Melbourne agent has declined to handle the container.
He would do individual motorcycles, but not a job lot.

Does anyone know of any agents in the area who we could use ?
regards
Andy Lorenz
BSAOC UK

Thrash, Bang, Re-Build...
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721122
01/05/18 3:00 am
01/05/18 3:00 am
Brisbane, Australia
BrizzoBrit Offline

Life member
BrizzoBrit  Offline

Life member

Brisbane, Australia
Hi Andy and Shane,

I used a company called Secon. They were very flexible and let me do my own documentation and unpack my own container.

http://www.secon.com.au/DAFF-AQIS.asp

That was some time ago but worth a try.

I was going to mention the asbestos requirements, but going back to an earlier thread I see that Shane you are fully conversant with this and have more knowledege then me in this area.

Shane keep the updates on the ride down coming through. Seriously considering joining up for the leg down or back. Working on get my bike trip-worthy at the moment.

Cheers
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: BrizzoBrit] #721237
01/06/18 3:39 am
01/06/18 3:39 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit
Hi Andy and Shane,

I used a company called Secon. They were very flexible and let me do my own documentation and unpack my own container.

http://www.secon.com.au/DAFF-AQIS.asp

That was some time ago but worth a try.

I was going to mention the asbestos requirements, but going back to an earlier thread I see that Shane you are fully conversant with this and have more knowledege then me in this area.

Shane keep the updates on the ride down coming through. Seriously considering joining up for the leg down or back. Working on get my bike trip-worthy at the moment.

Cheers
Ray

You can always trailer down to here then ride the rest of the way.
At the moment the big limiting factor is getting the bikes back if riders do a one way.
I should be able to carry 5 but another car & trailer won't go astray.
We have some members near the Vic border and due to time constraints usually trailer to there then ride the balance
Not sure if they both will be attending but both are usually happy to be used as a way station.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Morgan aka Admin] #721238
01/06/18 3:42 am
01/06/18 3:42 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Morgan aka Admin
It would be great if we could be able to go Anki and me but we have not even discussed it yet. She hates flying and its on the oppisite side of the globe so I better start thinking of the pitch... wonder if it would be posssible..

Nice time of the year for a cruise

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Kent Shaun] #721240
01/06/18 3:46 am
01/06/18 3:46 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
As I don't get out from the Rod & Tappet much, I never see this thread..!

But I'm hoping to be there, as I never did the California rally, best I do THIS one. Knowing what them customs are like, I'll start cleaning the A10 now, it's going to take me at least two years to get it so they'll let it in the country.. wink

You should be able to get a pre clearance inspection in the USA then ship with some one who can bomb the container so agriculture will be happy.
If you want to join in on the ride / drive from here Shane & I have a very reliable & reasonable shipping agent who ships a box of old bikes/cars & trucks out of Longbeach once a month or so depending upon demand.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Rich B] #721241
01/06/18 3:51 am
01/06/18 3:51 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Rich B
Shane,

That shocks me that a bike is available. Let me look into which city I can fly into on United......I have tons of FF miles I can burn. No doubt this will be something you have to request a year in advance in their program shocked

United fly to both Syd & Mel.
From memory they used to go Auckland - Syd - Mel.
We used to get our NZ freight satchels via united cause they had earliest landing slot

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Rich B] #721242
01/06/18 3:57 am
01/06/18 3:57 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Damn, November would work well for me. The bike thing, likely gonna be a problem cry

Wonder if I could survive driving chase van on the wrong side of the road........

Never a problem when you are chasing a group.
We won't be travelling particularly quickly, just fast enough to make the ride enjoyable .
Most of the "wrong side" collisions happen early morning or late night.
Shane was planning to do a rotation ( just so long as I don't have to ride lead ) so every one will have a spell behind the wheel & the bars.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Andy Lorenz] #721243
01/06/18 4:05 am
01/06/18 4:05 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Offline
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia

regards
Andy Lorenz

Don't be shy, give Roy a buzz, after all they are the host club.
There are a few Mexicans ( south of the border ) who delight in having their extra bikes ridden by others but very few of them are on Britbike ( shame on them ).
Hopefully there will be more bikes than riders on the trip down so there will be a few spares .

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: BrizzoBrit] #721244
01/06/18 4:22 am
01/06/18 4:22 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit

That's a good point about the asbestos. I know they're being very strict with asbestos for anything which is being imported permanently, to the point where shippers are removing brake shoes, head gaskets and exhaust manifold gaskets. One would hope things are more lenient for temporary imports, but it's certainly something to be very aware of for the clubs who are shipping bikes for the rally.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: BSA_WM20] #721245
01/06/18 4:25 am
01/06/18 4:25 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
As I don't get out from the Rod & Tappet much, I never see this thread..!

But I'm hoping to be there, as I never did the California rally, best I do THIS one. Knowing what them customs are like, I'll start cleaning the A10 now, it's going to take me at least two years to get it so they'll let it in the country.. wink

You should be able to get a pre clearance inspection in the USA then ship with some one who can bomb the container so agriculture will be happy.
If you want to join in on the ride / drive from here Shane & I have a very reliable & reasonable shipping agent who ships a box of old bikes/cars & trucks out of Longbeach once a month or so depending upon demand.

That's not a lot of use for Shaun in England, but could be useful for anybody in southern California or the US southwest in general

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: BSA_WM20] #721246
01/06/18 4:33 am
01/06/18 4:33 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by BSA_WM20
Damn, November would work well for me. The bike thing, likely gonna be a problem cry

Wonder if I could survive driving chase van on the wrong side of the road........

Never a problem when you are chasing a group.
We won't be travelling particularly quickly, just fast enough to make the ride enjoyable .
Most of the "wrong side" collisions happen early morning or late night

The biggest trap for the wrong side of the road is turning into a quiet road with no traffic. DAMHIK,IJK. It takes a little while to acclimatise when you get home as well.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721297
01/06/18 8:18 pm
01/06/18 8:18 pm
SE Ohio
No Name Man Offline

Life member
No Name Man  Offline

Life member

SE Ohio
I have found that what I have to be most careful of is staying in the center of the lane in city driving. I tend to drift to where my head is in a left-hand drive car without constant vigilance. Motorcycle...no problem. Well, as long as you're paying attention. Look the correct way when pulling into traffic...

Bill E

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: No Name Man] #721365
01/07/18 10:37 am
01/07/18 10:37 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Originally Posted by No Name Man
I have found that what I have to be most careful of is staying in the center of the lane in city driving. I tend to drift to where my head is in a left-hand drive car without constant vigilance. Motorcycle...no problem. Well, as long as you're paying attention. Look the correct way when pulling into traffic...

Bill E

Yes, I forgot about lane drift. That was quite "interesting" on the Golden Gate bridge with road works in progress.

Do you still think you'll make it to the rally?

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721392
01/07/18 3:50 pm
01/07/18 3:50 pm
SE Ohio
No Name Man Offline

Life member
No Name Man  Offline

Life member

SE Ohio
Certainly hope to...with a little help from my friends. Something pretty bad would have to happen for me to cancel.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721410
01/07/18 8:11 pm
01/07/18 8:11 pm
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
Cool. Are you joining our little run down from Sydney, or planning to fly into Melbourne?

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721413
01/07/18 8:29 pm
01/07/18 8:29 pm
NC
J
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member
J

NC
Planning on making this rally too.

Details stilt work in progress... but I have been religiously dumping spare change and some not so spare - into the rally jar since Petaluma to save for this one.

So... same as Bill....barring an unforeseen event...see y'all down under.

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721453
01/08/18 1:43 am
01/08/18 1:43 am
SE Ohio
No Name Man Offline

Life member
No Name Man  Offline

Life member

SE Ohio
I was hoping all along to join you in Sydney if the bike loan is still available. If things stay like they are I will fly over with Rich.

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #721505
01/08/18 7:02 pm
01/08/18 7:02 pm
NC
J
JiminNC Offline
Life member
JiminNC  Offline
Life member
J

NC
Bill - when you know your flight details, or rough plans for you & Rich, let me know.

I will try to synch up my Sydney arrival with yours as best I can - planning to join in Shane's musket ball run to Melbourne with you all.

Jim

'67 WD-B40
'71 A65L
'71 TR25T
Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #726935
02/27/18 6:11 am
02/27/18 6:11 am
Medford, Oregon, USA
S
Spitfiregary Offline
BritBike Forum member
Spitfiregary  Offline
BritBike Forum member
S

Medford, Oregon, USA
I have been looking for the riders that plan to travel south to the rally. I am coming from Oregon, USA and will have both a modern bike and BSA to ride. My plan is to ride the modern one north from Melbourne and join up with the riders travelling south to the rally. The BSA will be transported by my friend Thomas Weitacher as he has given me a great favor. (I was the bouncer who let people "know the time" in Petaluma a couple of years ago) so made some good contacts. If I could have more details regarding the ride, I will be able to book my flight and make plans. Also, is anyone planning a trip over to NZ before or after the BSA rally as I would like to see that country also.

Re: 2018 Internation Rally Australia - who's in? [Re: Shane in Oz] #726946
02/27/18 9:56 am
02/27/18 9:56 am
Sydney, Oz
S
Shane in Oz Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Shane in Oz  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
S

Sydney, Oz
We currently plan a trial run of the "down" part of the route in April when we ride down the the All British Rally (about 150 km short of Halls Gap).

Dates are a little up in the air - either Tuesday - Thursday or Wednesday - Friday to ride down, but that's largely determined by our overseas guests.
For planning purposes, it's probably best to assume we're leaving Penrith around 8 am Tuesday.

I recommend allowing at least 1 day to get over jet lag and sleep deprivation. You can ride from Melbourne to Penrith in a day on a modern nike, but that's up a boring expressway and is still a long day.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Andy Lorenz 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership