BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite Pistons
BritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Velo-Felo
Velo-Felo
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire UK
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Which die would be suitable for Lucas bullets?
#720105 12/27/17 4:31 am
btour Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I think I found a versatile crimper. It has multiple dies.

Stuart, Co Ax crimper is hex. I think the number A06 would be suitable for Lucas bullets. What do you think? There is also a die to make it a flag crimper. Price is 18.00 US.
Each die is 3.00.

What would be the cross section of the wire core for wire for the Lucas bullet?

Last edited by btour; 12/27/17 5:00 am.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Which die would be suitable for Lucas bullets?
btour #720111 12/27/17 6:55 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi Bob,

Originally Posted by btour
I think I found a versatile crimper. It has multiple dies.
Co Ax crimper is hex. I think the number A06 would be suitable for Lucas bullets.
What would be the cross section of the wire core for wire for the lucas bullet?

The maximum o.d. of a standard bullet is 3/16"; however, the section/s that is/are crimped are slightly smaller. I won't be able to measure for a few days.

The o.d. of "Lucas bullet[s]" are always the same irrespective of the i.d. for different conductor cross-sections; modern ones are for certain metric conductors, 'original' ones were for British Standard Wire Gauge conductors.

Originally Posted by btour
There is also a die to make it a flag crimper.

Ime, there are two flag terminal types:-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Hth.

Regards,

btour #720138 12/27/17 3:43 pm
btour Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
HI Stuart,

Thank you. I hope your dad's health improves for the New Year.

Right now I am frustrated. I wrote you a detailed post with all kinda numbers, and my browser crapped out before I could save it to memory. The browser wars my be over but the devastation remains. All these sites are, not this one, but most trying to cram all kinda stuff into browsers and they were never intended to have this junk. Update the browser, update the OS, and each time open yourself to hacks. Idiots writing stuff with Java that they have no clue what its underlying functions do. Thus endless loops and crashes. And they try to cram these gigantic strings generated by automation into cookies, and the cache was never intended to accommodate those strings. ARGHHH. They don't give a damn about quality, anymore. They got you hooked and dependent.

Rant over. One of your pictures was in weird format that did not load. The other is Flag I am talking about. Uninsulated. Some call those 90 degree quick disconnects. Some flags. Yes there is a die for those, both insulated and uninsulated.

I would think on of those Coax sizes would suit the Lucas bullet.

Most of the cost of the tool and dies is shipping. So if someone ordered in bulk there is profit to be made. In fact people are doing that. The cost of the tool directly ordered is 15.00 and guy is selling them for 18.00. Same prices at e-bay and amazon. Some other companies selling the same tool for 3 times as much. Different color handles. No idea what his cost is. There is a tremendous mark up on these crimping tools for a very long time. It is basically a ratcheting vise grip with forged dies. There might be some clean up machining for the best quality ones, but for the hex crimp and the flag I don't expect the highest quality is necessary.

The other company I visited had a tool with dies, but the advantage was the dies fit by magnet and not screws to change dies.

Flags, A07Fl and A06FL. The hex is A06. It is just a matter or finding out what the Coax cable formats are. Whether the number refers to the actual OD of the cable or not, what the crush is. At these prices, it worth a shot. One of these sizes should work. Might require some filing or grinding. Or the guy might forge a correct one. I don't know how ticklish the hex crimp would be. (This spell check sucks too, and I don't care anymore). I don't expect the hex of an uninsulated terminal would be too prone to over crimping. I think it is worth a shot. I would like a score of the bullets in hand to test it, and I would go ahead and order it.

Stuart, these are all in metric. You already know the answer in metric, unless you don't know the measurement of the crimping area of the Lucas bullet itself.

3D printing is here, and any die could be easily printed in carbon fiber, at incredible quality, and low cost..

The research I have done showed me that our military has spec out all crimps to take a four sided crimp of one kinda or another. This crimping and termination thing has become a system in itself equal to the overall connectivity, over the decades. I found a great link to this. For example when one designs an airplane on must start with the terminations and wiring that will be its backbone. Plugs have empty spaces for changes and upgrades that might occur.

All this has nothing to do with our old bikes. The proper die could probably be forged in the back yard. Or a talented machinist could build it with a lump of steel, a file and a chisel.

Bob, Lifetime bike: '71 T120R, bought in '71 at Ken Heanes, England.
btour #720324 12/29/17 2:12 am
6T Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
..I made a crimper for the bullet connectors by grinding a 'hex' into the jaws of a pair of 8" wire cutters...if you just take your time you'll get the perfect crimp.Yes I know there are different Lucas bullets but you can grind a couple of different sizes in the same jaws with a 'dremel.'

...I do not and cannot accept the principal that incompetence justifies dismissal...
T120R '67
6T 1965
T110 1958

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership