BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
c caspary
c caspary
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
32 registered members (Andrew Dunham), 178 guests, and 380 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Konaflyer, Begbie, Andrew Fallo, Zack Banks, 1966g10
10418 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
btour 89
Rohan 81
Triless 79
reverb 76
Popular Topics(Views)
710,119 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,304
Posts665,011
Members10,418
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1966 BSA Hornet Blue [Re: DFlint] #720078
12/26/17 11:37 pm
12/26/17 11:37 pm
arkansas
L
leon bee Offline
BritBike Forum member
leon bee  Offline
BritBike Forum member
L

arkansas
But yer the one pointed out it has a 689 on it.

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 1966 BSA Hornet Blue [Re: DFlint] #720159
12/27/17 7:01 pm
12/27/17 7:01 pm
Illinois
Spitfire Ken Offline

BritBike Forum member
Spitfire Ken  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Illinois
BASED ON THE GAS TANK, SEAT AND OTHER DETAILTHE PICTURES THE HORNET APPEARS TO BEMOSTLY 66 WHILE THE WASP APPEARS TO BE MOSTLY 65.
THE CARBURETORS WITH BOTH FLOATS INBOARD DID NOT APPEAR UNTIL 1966 AND WERE ONLY UESED ON 1966-67 A65'S WHICH IS ANOTHER REASON THAT THESE PICTURES WERE MOST LIKELY TAKEN IN 1965 AND THE BIKES ARE A HOMALOGATION OF PARTS FOR A PUBLCIITY SHOOT.

I AM CURIOUS ABOUT THE BLUE FIBERFGLASS, WHIE I DO THINK A FEW BLUE HORNETS WERE PRODUCED NO ONE HAS ASKD THIF THE FG PARTS ON THIS BIKE WERE EVER PAINTED. WHICH I BELIVE IS A VALID QUESTION.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under rstoration)
2001 Kawasaki W650
Re: 1966 BSA Hornet Blue [Re: leon bee] #721137
01/05/18 9:57 am
01/05/18 9:57 am
Sydney Australia
B
BSA_WM20 Online content
BritBike Forum member
BSA_WM20  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B

Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by leon bee
So...........those are just promo illustrations BSA threw together, right? Would be very curious if they really shipped a wasp with two 689s on it.

Yes and no.
Small Heath mocked up this years bikes to make next years bikes and in most cases the catalogues from the UK were painted images and in many cases, nothing like what the factory made months latter.
Next seasons catalogues had to get to the dealers by the end of this seasons sales to generate orders for next seasons bikes thus they depicted bikes that had not been made yet.

Second edition catalogues and in particular those printed in the USA were generally photos of actual bikes but again some license was taken with the fitting of non standard parts or changing the colours.

The first editions of the 1962 catalogues show all pre unit bikes
The second edition, printed 2 months latter shows the A 50 / A 65 , ( suggesting the release was pushed forward )

UK versions of catalogues would oft show one colour while the USA version shows the alternative colour.
The B25 / B40 range were usually opposite colours in the UK & USA catalogues.

Note closely the line at the bottom of the catalogue, regarding
Minor variations to East & West versions.

In general the USA got all the new stuff first and the UK versions got the older parts till the stock ran out then they fitted current model parts.
Also the higher profit 650 cc variant will always get the new higher performance parts while the less profitable 500 cc variant got the old bits that used to be fitted to the 650, till they ran out.

This is one of the massive problems when trying to do a concorse judgment on a BSA

FWIW dealers would also fit whatever parts the purchaser wanted ( for a price ) so very likely that the blue parts were substituted at dealer level.
Both red & blue tanks are listed in the BSA accessory catalogue and if it was a factory authorised part, no problems with the dealer changing them pre sale.

The only definate way to check is to get a certificate from the BSAOC UK from the despatch records which generally ( but not aways ) list non standard parts factory fitted and colours.

AS for paint or gel coat, the fiberglass B 25 tanks & side covers were blue fiberglass, not overpainted red and they are also listed as "Saphire Blue" so making a very dangerous assumption ( for what BSA did ) one might be led to think that the Wasp glasswear was blue all the way through.

Last edited by BSA_WM20; 01/05/18 10:02 am.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Re: 1966 BSA Hornet Blue [Re: DFlint] #721175
01/05/18 5:49 pm
01/05/18 5:49 pm
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Offline

BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline

BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
Originally Posted by DFlint
My father passed away leaving me his 1966 BSA Hornet. Just wondering if anyone has info on the bike. I understand that most were a red/orange color, but his was blue. He was the original owner and it was not painted.

[Linked Image]

That is a beautiful bike . Thanks for sharing !!

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership