BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
57nortonmodel77
57nortonmodel77
Concord Township, Ohio
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Fenders from India
#718112 12/08/17 5:00 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
My 38 RH fenders will need a lot of repair and with Ross Thompson retiring I have been looking at the bare metal fenders made in India posted online. Does anyone have experience with them as they do not look too bad and the price is ok. Some mods might be needed from what I see.

Thanks

Gordo

The roadside repairs make for the best post ride stories.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Fenders from India
Gordo in Comox #718144 12/08/17 6:14 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Gordo in Comox
My 38 RH fenders will need a lot of repair and with Ross Thompson retiring I have been looking at the bare metal fenders made in India posted online. Does anyone have experience with them as they do not look too bad and the price is ok. Some mods might be needed from what I see.

Thanks

Gordo

The Indian folks, bless their hearts, are just like anyone else producing things to sell to people. If the buyers will pay good money for cheaply-built, ill-fitting, non-functional parts, and continue paying good money as if they are happy and satisfied with it, well, that tells the manufacturer that his customers are satisfied with the level of quality they are producing, and will continue doing that.

If, however, bargain-seeking buyers do NOT continue buying cheap junk, and instead pay more money for something that actually works, that's a message to the manufacturers that they are NOT producing something that their customers want, and they will up the quality level (which will up the price, but maybe not too high) so that THEY can sell parts and feed their families.

And then everyone's happy! So buyer beware, we'll share information about whether we're getting our money's worth from the places we buy from ..... and act accordingly!

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Gordo in Comox #718181 12/08/17 11:37 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I agree with you Lannis, however I am up against the problem of "the Indian fenders are the only ones available for the bike I am working on"
1948 AJS Model 18.
I have tried several of the usual places, they all have the same answer, "Oh those are going to be hard to source, new or used."
eBay shows an Indian manufacturer making a copy, quality is untested, fit untested, but I do need them, just been putting off pulling the trigger in hopes another better option comes along.
Fullminator.

Gordo in Comox #718189 12/09/17 1:01 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Yup, any port in a storm, as they say.

Let us know how they work out!

Lannis

Gordo in Comox #718207 12/09/17 9:24 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
At the risk of telling something you already are aware of , Autocycle engineering offer a wide selection of different fenders, here a link to their website : http://www.auto-cycle.co.uk/#mud

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Peter R #718208 12/09/17 9:37 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
There is a quality option, out of Western Australia.
www.vintagesteel.com.au

Not cheap, but you will never complain about the quality!

Richard

Gordo in Comox #718210 12/09/17 9:51 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Another option

http://www.cwclassic.co.uk/gallery-bike-parts/

Can't find the link to his site but there is a guy doing a range of Chainguards in North America who would have the skills to make mudguards.

Gordo in Comox #718233 12/09/17 3:02 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Thanks guys for those links. I was wondering where I was going to get a rear fender for my old Matchless ... now I know!

Lannis

Gordo in Comox #718237 12/09/17 3:42 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The guy in North America (Vancouver?) concentrates on chain guards (he is a Brit apparently).
He did one for me for a BSA B33---- he did a really nice job.
Don't know if he does fenders (mudguards).
I got my chain guard via Mike Partridge of Walridge Motors in Canada.
Suggest that you start there with your enquiry.
HTH

Gordo in Comox #718372 12/10/17 10:47 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks for all the inputs. Richard the Vintagesteel product looks beatiflul but for a modest 'reconditioning' project paying around $1600 Aus for a pair plus packing and shipping is fairly steep. However they are very tempting given that they are making actual replicas of the Ariel fenders.

A set from one of Indian suppliers would only be for a few hundred $$ plus shipping for some new steel I agree they might take a lot of sorting out. I was hoping a fellow Ariel owner had tried them so as I would know how much artistry I would need with my MIG and hammers to make them work.

I think I will have another look at my original fenders. They are very rough.

Tridentman: The chainguard craftsman lives near here but I have never seen any fenders in his shop or on his website.

Gordo

Gordo in Comox #718457 12/11/17 9:04 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A similar inquiry for a similar mudguard on the Ariel Owners Club forum: follow the conversation down and you'll find that the poster was quite happy with the Indian-made product. Has the previous poster Lannis had any first hand experience with these fenders or is he just expressing a personal opinion?

If you do get one let me know how it works out as the rear fender on my '37 VH is just held together with fibreglass and should probably be replaced.

http://forum.arielownersmcc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7296

Bruce

1937 Ariel Red Hunter 500
1970 Triumph Bonneville

Making the scene with the gasoline
Gordo in Comox #718531 12/12/17 4:46 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Thanks Bruce

Interesting link. The problem with the Ariel fenders is the amount of detail with the center ribs, interlocking hinged rear section and the front nose detailing that would be very hard to duplicate. The Vintagesteel examples really seem to capture the shape and most likely actually fit. The Indian fenders look quite good online but if they do not fit it could be a nightmare to sort them out.

Gordo

Gordo in Comox #718667 12/13/17 8:52 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Gordo in Comox
The problem with the Ariel fenders is the amount of detail with the center ribs, interlocking hinged rear section and the front nose detailing that would be very hard to duplicate.

I'm actually quite familiar with pre-war Ariel fenders as my '37 has two of them. According to factory records mine was originally built with a valenced front fender and I notice the Indian supplier also has these available as well so I'm tempted to get both front and back.

Do you pay much attention to the Ariel club forum? A fellow from Osoyoos BC is a frequent contributer and is very knowledgeable about pre-war Ariels as he has been restoring one for some time now. I'm not sure if he has his on the road. I ride my '37 regularly and it is pretty much as it left the factory.

Bruce

Last edited by Bruce Martin; 12/13/17 8:52 pm.

1937 Ariel Red Hunter 500
1970 Triumph Bonneville

Making the scene with the gasoline
Tridentman #720172 12/27/17 8:33 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The persons name is Colin Kelly, here is the link: http://customclassiccycleparts.com/ Lloyd L

1951 ZB GS
1953 BB GS
1953 Super Flash
1954 Vincent BS
1963 RGS
1956 Triumph T110

Gordo in Comox #720188 12/27/17 10:44 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
So my daughter was looking for ideas for Christmas gifts for the old man. I gave her the eBay item number of a set of fenders and stays from an Indian supplier that advertised fenders for my 1948 AJS Model 18.
Wouldn't you know it, they were wrapped under the tree for me.
I haven't tried to actually fit them to the bike yet, but so far I can say they are probably usable. I am sure they are made from much heavier steel than the originals would have been, and they seem to be the correct profile-rounded corners, and almost square across the top, with no ribbing, much different than the later ones with center ribbing and much more rounded all across the top.
It is obvious they primer painted over the rust, so they will require a complete strip. All the ancillary connections are crudely ball peened riveted, in fact the front fender center stay is still loose even after their attempt at riveting. I am unsure what an original AJS/Matchless rivet would/should look like, but I am guessing this Indian version is much more crude. The general shape will also require some work to get right, but as I said they are heavy steel so I have plenty of meat to work with. As a whole, I have to say I am pleased with them. I think I can work them to be as good as the original English ones, and the price was right, even including shipping.
I looked into the Vintage Steel outfit in Australia, mentioned earlier in this thread post. They could have made what I wanted, and I am sure the quality would have been first rate, but their price would have easily been 6X what my daughter paid, and they wanted details about fender width, profile height, front rolled edge dimensions, etc. I didn't have the faintest idea of any of it, so I took a shot on the Indian ones, and my daughter got to participate in the old man's obsession/sickness.
Fullminator

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership