BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
T120C
T120C
Central Virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
BradM, Andrew C., muzza123, Siwy, Troy Walls
11012 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 134
koan58 69
DavidP 50
Popular Topics(Views)
1,148,432 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,913
Posts690,774
Members11,012
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
58 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 1,089 guests, and 923 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
valve clearances #711435 10/13/17 5:19 pm
lace remington Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
t160... running rough, checked and reset valve clearances, 5 ok, but can't get a gap on one of the exhaust ones with the adjuster screwed out as far as it will go? just a slight twitch up and down movement on it, any ideas. thanks

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: valve clearances [Re: lace remington] #711439 10/13/17 6:32 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
Sounds like the valve stem is coming up to high. That could be an incorrect valve (too long), an incorrect pushrod (too long), a pushrod that isn't seated correctly in the cam follower, or the valve is pocketed. If the valve is pocketed, the options are installing a new valve seat (expensive and fraught with peril) or installing an oversize valve. You may be able to cut down the valve stem. I have never tried that. If so, you may need to cut it down enough to use a lash cap. Don't know if there is enough room.
First thing I would do is take off the inspection cover for the pushrod and see if you can determine whether the pushrod is seated correctly. You may not be able to without taking off the rockerbox.

Ed from NJ

Re: valve clearances [Re: lace remington] #711448 10/13/17 8:01 pm
htown Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I believe the t160 has the rocker arm that has the captive half sphere on the bottom against the valve tip. This may have rotated out of it's correct position and locked against the valve. I had one that the sphere had broke in half and was wedged in there.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: valve clearances [Re: htown] #711824 10/17/17 5:41 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
decided to do a top end rebuild on the t160, it's at the stage now where it all needs doing properly. could anyone give me a breakdown on all parts that will be needed for ordering thanks.

Last edited by lace remington; 10/17/17 5:43 pm.
Re: valve clearances [Re: lace remington] #711904 10/18/17 2:21 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
ok, no takers but, what do you reckon,

top end gasket set
valve spring set
inlet/exhaust valves
tappet adjusters and lock nuts
valve guides / and oil seals

have I forgot anything? regards LR

Re: valve clearances [Re: lace remington] #711910 10/18/17 3:14 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
You will not know what you will need until the head is inspected. If you are not using a copper head gasket that will have to be replaced. I do not use paper/fibre gaskets but instead use Loctite Gasket Eliminator. Copper can be annealed and reused if not damaged.
Measure the valve springs with a spring gauge. You most likely will not have to replace them.
Look at the valve tips to see what wear the stock adjusters are causing. The T160 "Ducati style" adjusters are better than the original R3/T150 type. I prefer the EF adjusters because they cover the entire top of the stem. Any spherical tip adjuster has a point contact which cannot be supported by an oil film so the surfaces must be hardened to reduce wear.
Measure the valve stems and guides to see if they need replacement
You will have to remove the guides and measure the holes in the head before ordering guides in case oversize guides are needed.
Whilst everything is apart you might consider grinding the excess material off the rockers to reduce loads in the valve train.
Once the valves seats are ground you will find out if the rockerbox has to be raised, pushrod shortened or the valve tip trimmed to get the rocker movement correct. Install light springs on the valves on a lightly tightened top end with no pushrod tubes and turn the motor over to measure the movement.
Check the spring collar to seal clearance to be sure there is no interference.
I counter bore the three 1/4" screw pockets at the lip of the rockerbox valve pockets for button head screws. They have more area under the head for sealing and reduce crushing of the holes.
If you are using stock rocker covers you can counter bore the holes of the female socket bolts to put in an O-ring for better sealing without bending the cover.
You will need new aluminum seal washers for the oil lines banjos..

Re: valve clearances [Re: lace remington] #712037 10/20/17 5:01 am
tridentt150v Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O rings for the rocker spindles.

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership