BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
sprung hub
sprung hub
Sacramento, CA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete, Changaroo
10896 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 125
DavidP 73
quinten 68
Popular Topics(Views)
1,044,472 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,006
Posts682,405
Members10,896
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
72 registered members (AML), 483 guests, and 879 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Starts and Stops with your feet down #708448 09/14/17 7:51 pm
R
rick e. Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
From Singapore to Spain and some parts in between, I've noticed something I find odd. Lots and lots of folks on motorcycles and scooters coming up to stop lights with their feet down like landing gear at least 40 meters plus before they have to stop. And then when they take off, the same thing, feet down until they hit 20mph or so. At first, I thought these folks are new riders. But after more time watching and some thought, no way. These folks are "real" cyclist and this is their only transportation method besides using the train/bus. And I would bet they log more miles than most people on this board. I'm sure the answer for this riding style is obvious, but it escapes me. Anyone know?

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708450 09/14/17 8:25 pm
triton thrasher Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The answer is they are making a mistake.

Dragging feet is a sure sign of the motorcycling illiterate.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708451 09/14/17 8:28 pm
PhilM Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
When riding in France, we were warned that it's a favorite of the Police who watch out for riders who don't put their feet down at a junction where you're obliged to stop behind lines - could be a possible reason.

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708470 09/14/17 10:41 pm
HawaiianTiger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Yes, at least in California, a display of motorcycling skill, such as coming to a full stop without putting both feet on the ground can net you a ticket. I do it all the time......but cops here ride bikes, too, so they don't on the whole give motorcyclists a hard time.

Cheers,
Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708667 09/16/17 4:03 pm
Ob1quixote Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Never heard of a ticket around here for stopping feet up. I do it {or try to} all the time.

With so much dumbassery going on in traffic, I could see how not seeing feet up motorcycle stops might be missed.
Down south a significant number of drivers ascribe to the Wrong Of Way driving techniques.

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: PhilM] #708679 09/16/17 5:07 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by PhilM
When riding in France, we were warned that it's a favorite of the Police who watch out for riders who don't put their feet down at a junction where you're obliged to stop behind lines - could be a possible reason.

And what do les Flics want me to do with the Flash & a Box?

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708702 09/16/17 9:25 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I think in Pennsyltuckey there exists a law which states if you don't touch at least one foot down, you have failed to "stop". I was taught in drivers ed in high school- which I took three times just for fun, that a proper stop included a three second wait before advancing.

Having said that, these days I drift to an extremely slow roll, as close as I can get to a stop without touching down, and proceed.

I get a bit of a chuckle out of people who don't pick up their feet when their cycle (of whatever 2 wheeled, motorised variety) is moving. This is something you see often nowadays.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708707 09/16/17 10:32 pm
Al Eckstadt Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm sure I've seen people doing the feet down thing, but never payed much attention to it. I'll have to watch for this and see what kind of rider does it. Big V twin riders are notorious for not coming to a full stop around here (well, according to me). Don't take this the wrong way, Tom, but I always come to a full stop, feet up as long as possible. I would consider it a matter of skill to stop without touching down, but I can rarely do that.
Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Al Eckstadt] #708715 09/16/17 11:41 pm
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q

i was in Paris for 2 weeks this last spring and noticed this same strange behavior.
" both feet down " and off the pegs. .. or more often the scooter floobboards ,
not just at or near stops. ... but as a regular riding style even at speed on the larger boulevards .
i guessed it was a style thing , like the omnipresent neck scarf. .. and not because of cops. .. but who knows?
the cop thing could have started the style?

I bicycle quite a bit and have been ' pulled over ' for ignoring , or being too casual at stop signs.
so now I stop , but as a bicycle 'style thing' , it's 'the coolest' to balance at a full stop without 'dabbing '
this usually gains you some attention and at times a little respect with the four-wheel crowd.
who often waved me through before I fall over.

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708731 09/17/17 3:30 am
D
Dr. Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
I watched two HD riders start out in a parking lot. Their foot motion resembled that of overweight geese taking off down wind from a lake.

Craig Zaspel

T100R
BSA A10
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Dr. Z] #708759 09/17/17 1:42 pm
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
As a Trials rider that was always part of the fun. Sit there waiting on the light to change with your feet up. Watch the good bicycle riders...they don't even unclip at lights. Maybe if I were riding a 1000# bike that cost $35,000 and was poorly balanced I'd put my feet down too.

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Al Eckstadt] #708771 09/17/17 3:44 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Al Eckstadt
I'm sure I've seen people doing the feet down thing, but never payed much attention to it. I'll have to watch for this and see what kind of rider does it. Big V twin riders are notorious for not coming to a full stop around here (well, according to me). Don't take this the wrong way, Tom, but I always come to a full stop, feet up as long as possible. I would consider it a matter of skill to stop without touching down, but I can rarely do that.
Al

Hey Al, no slight to me man... I was speaking strictly legally of course! Back in the day, some of my friends had trouble with the po-leece over this very issue, so we all went to touching one foot fully down flat at the 4-way stop intersections in town... whether we actually came to a full, complete, absolute stop or not. These days, I just roll up to a 4-way stop, more or less "stop", then proceed if it is my turn, without touching down...

But when I take off and whenI come to a stop on my bike, my feet are up as long as the bike is moving. If Miss C is on the back, I take care to be as safe as possible so as not to dump the bike and hurt her! smile

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Dr. Z] #708878 09/18/17 1:03 pm
F
Fetch Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
Originally Posted by Dr. Z
I watched two HD riders start out in a parking lot. Their foot motion resembled that of overweight geese taking off down wind from a lake.

Note to self " flap arms slowly for greater visual effect"

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Fetch] #708901 09/18/17 7:49 pm
Alan_nc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Both of you have given me a great "visual" on that.....now if you have fringe on your leather jacket and assless chaps...............

Alan
Cleared m out....left only
59 BSA Bantam (Trials)
78 Triumph Bonny (UPS)
02 Suzuki GS500
Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708968 09/19/17 4:35 pm
C
Class Clown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
I always keep my feet "down" as I take off, along with a little more revs and clutch slipping. Why?? Because every once in a while, my T-100 likes to pull the "parlor trick" of doing a "stutter" or "cough" at very low speed. I was almost caught out once, nearly dropping the bike at about 3 mph, but managed to get my foot down in time (JUST!). I may look like a raw beginner doing it this way, but better to look like one that way than laying in the street..................and really looking like a "doofus"!
Jim

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: rick e.] #708970 09/19/17 5:21 pm
F
Fetch Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
F
[Linked Image]

"pick your feet up....pick em up....your not listening....pick em up

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: BeezaBryan] #708981 09/19/17 7:31 pm
PhilM Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan

What about fixing up the box with a pair of retractable brooms and wellies on the end?...... :-)

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: PhilM] #709469 09/23/17 9:34 pm
BeezaBryan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by BeezaBryan

What about fixing up the box with a pair of retractable brooms and wellies on the end?...... :-)

Now that's an idea :bigt

And as you mention brooms -

Attached Files Spookster.jpg

Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventures

"He knows not where he's going,
For the ocean will decide,
Its not the destination,
It's the glory of the ride”
(Edward Monkton, Zen Dog)

Bryan

Re: Starts and Stops with your feet down [Re: Alan_nc] #709573 09/24/17 11:35 pm
RF Whatley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Alan_nc
As a Trials rider that was always part of the fun. Sit there waiting on the light to change with your feet up. Watch the good bicycle riders...they don't even unclip at lights. .

I once got a ticket for "incomplete stop" doing the balance thing for 3 seconds. The cop rode a Harley and swore in court it couldn't be done. Of course this was in the police state of Decatur, GA.

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership