BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tazaroo
Tazaroo
Wisconsin
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Oh the irony of it!
#705429 08/18/17 9:23 pm
Grandad Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member

A couple of days ago, I rode my bike out to the nearby town of Sandwich where I intended to while away some time on the Quayside of the river Stour. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a sleek warship moored alongside the quay with a crowd of people milling around.
On closer inspection I discovered that the ship was featured in a starring role (on the British side) in the recent Warner Bros film ‘Dunkirk’ which I don’t need to remind anyone was about the WWII evacuation of our Brit army from the clutches of our then mortal enemy - the Germans.
[Linked Image]
Here’s the irony – the ship was actually built by Germans in 1952 for the Americans as a cold war River Rhine patrol boat.
[Linked Image]
There is an interesting local sub-plot here. Apparently USN P22 was originally going to be berthed in Ramsgate harbour (our local port which is proud of the fact that it was heavily involved in in the original Dunkirk evacuation). However, due to a disagreement over berthing fees P22 ended up being offered instead to Dover District Council, who eagerly accepted and decided to berth it permanently at Sandwich where it will eventually be open to the public.

--------------------------------

Don't nail that lid down - I'm still bloomin' breathing !!
Click here to see SPIDER cartoons!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Oh the irony of it!
Grandad #705443 08/19/17 12:51 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Wow. That is so neat, Grandad. I've yet to see the movie but we're slated to see it eventually, even if it's on a pay as you go channel.

That is just so awesome. I love history and historical machinery.

Appreciate your sharing this lovely piece of movie history and naval history!

Cheers,

Rich

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Grandad #705453 08/19/17 3:35 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Awesome Grandad... I really wanna see that movie. I was just at our local drive in which would have be incredible to see it there but allas , I had to work in multiple states so I missed another thing Ive been wanting to do... Curse of the working man as they say !!! Cheers !!

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Grandad #705464 08/19/17 9:49 am
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
"The eagle has landed" was filmed near me while I was at school.
I was rowing with the school and we came around a bend to meet an E boat coming the other way
(It was an MTB tarted up to look German)

Grandad #705472 08/19/17 1:58 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Grandad,
THANKS for posting!

The film "Dunkir" was filmed in full analog - using wide format 70mm film on Panavision & IMAX cameras.
TECH INFO

Hans Zimmer's wonderfully creative film score serves to heighten tensions in various ways, one of which was by incorporating the ticking of director Christopher Nolan's own pocket watch, tweaking the sound varyingly and imaginatively and using this element throughout.

Nolan had camera people actually in the water at points during filming, and used IMAX cameras, at times, hand held- with camera assistants supporting the camera ops and equipment during shooting- a stunning feat in and of itself which had never before been done.
They debuted the film in full 70mm projection, surpassing Quentin Tarantino's release on Hateful 8 in the number theaters where the 70mm version was shown. Mr Nolan insisted on not filming any digital aspects of the film- and this included using life-sized cardboard silhouette cutouts of soldiers to emulate large numbers of men onto beach scenes, rather than the current accepted model of digitizing such crowd-scene shots!

Wiki has this to say about the film score:

"By January 2016, composer Hans Zimmer had already begun working on the score.[81] For the purpose of intensity, the script was written to accommodate the auditory illusion of a Shepard tone, which had previously been explored in Nolan's 2006 film The Prestige. This was coupled with the sound of a ticking clock, that of Nolan's own pocket watch, which he recorded and sent to Zimmer to be synthesised.[78][82] Additional music was provided by Lorne Balfe, Andrew Kawczynski, Steve Mazzaro, and Benjamin Wallfisch.[83][84] "Nimrod" from Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations is part of the theme,[85][86] which was slowed down to six beats per minute with added bass notes to avoid it sounding sentimental. Instrumentation included a double bass and fourteen cellos played in high register. King relayed to Zimmer the sound of a boat engine, which served as a reference for the tempo.[84] Zimmer visited the Dunkirk set for inspiration and chose not to view raw footage of the film whilst composing the score.[25] The music was recorded at AIR Lyndhurst Hall in London with Geoff Foster as mix engineer.[25][87]"

The film, whether or not 100% historically accurate, is stunning in many ways. It is a marvel to witness on the BIG SCREEN with full 7.1 dolby surround sound booming away all around you.
It is a sensory experience not to be missed and will surely lose some emotional punch on TV at home.

What is really interesting, in actual fact of the mattter, was that Churchill turned a certain military defeat into a winning emotional surge, and England went on to overcome this moment without shame or sorrow.

Last edited by ricochetrider; 08/19/17 2:02 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Grandad #705474 08/19/17 2:16 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Very cool indeed.

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
GrandPaul #705492 08/19/17 7:48 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I have not seen the film, I was a boy in 1940.My uncle Jim [ my mum"s brother] was in the BEF as a member of the Northumberland Fusiliers.
At the time I did not really know what was going on but my eyes were opened when we had a visitor.It was one of Jim"s regiment. He told my mum it was unlikely she would see her brother again. He advised that among others he and Jim had been able to board one of the small craft that had come over to aid the evacuation but shortly after, the craft was hit by a bomb and sank. Our informant was rescued and hooked aboard another small craft which was already overcrowded with survivors. He said the last he saw of Jim he was swimming but oil on the water all around him was ablaze. I remember my mother weeping {the only time I ever saw her in tears].Jim"s pal gave me a French silver coin with a hole in it as a momento [ I have it still ] . Two days later Jim arrived home. Still black from oil sand and debris. He told how he had managed to get back to the beach and was able later to board a rescue craft.
Landing the rescue organisation was overwhelmed by the numbers and all were given rail passes to their homes.
He served in the desert but survived being shot and later landed back in France on D +2.
He must have liked warfare as when the Korean war broke out he re-enlisted and survived the debacle and retreat after the North Korean/Chinese crossed the Injim river.
I am looking forward to seeing the film. Jim now deceased cannot comment

Grandad #705499 08/19/17 9:36 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
me and the missus went to see the new movie "Dunkirk" and came away disappointed. a poor script that did not tell the full story of how we sent a poorly equipped expeditionary force to help our allies, not enough extras on the beaches, Spitfires with unlimited ammunition and still able to shoot down a ME109 after running out of fuel!.
Not impressed at all, bring back the black and white version with John Mills and Bernard Lee.

baza57 #705506 08/19/17 10:27 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by baza57
me and the missus went to see the new movie "Dunkirk" and came away disappointed. a poor script that did not tell the full story of how we sent a poorly equipped expeditionary force to help our allies, not enough extras on the beaches, Spitfires with unlimited ammunition and still able to shoot down a ME109 after running out of fuel!.
Not impressed at all, bring back the black and white version with John Mills and Bernard Lee.

People have come away disappointed, I guess, but we liked it and I am a nut for technical details so always marvel at the production aspects alone. Some have said the character building wasn't strong enough but we liked the film quite a lot.
It is formatted in a linear fashion with three elements of progression, earth, water, & sky. While we did like the film, plenty of critics have not liked it. In the end, amazing technical ability does not necessarily win over a lack of other crucial elements.

Then again, film is art and as such, is subjective.

side note of interest: Nolan had IMAX cameras fixed to airplanes. In one scene they planned to crash plane and had the cameras set up to withstand not only the force of the crash but also the seawater- thought being they'd have time to quickly grab the cameras before the plane sank.... BUT.

"As revealed in an interview with American Cinematographer (via Reddit), van Hoytema told the story of how one of the IMAX cameras was strapped to a plane with the intention of crashing the plane into the sea. But the planned crash scene didn’t exactly go as planned:

“Our grips did a great job building a crash housing around the IMAX camera to withstand the physical impact and protect the camera from seawater, and we had a good plan to retrieve the camera while the wreckage was still afloat. … Unfortunately, the plane sunk almost instantly, pulling the rig and camera to the sea bottom. In all, the camera was under for [more than 90 minutes] until divers could retrieve it. The housing was completely compromised by water pressure, and the camera and mag had filled with [brackish] water. But Jonathan Clark, our film loader, rinsed the retrieved mag in freshwater and cleaned the film in the dark room with freshwater before boxing it and submerging it in freshwate
r.”

In the end, the film was salvaged and the footage made the final cut.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership