BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Ron Trump Arbour
Ron Trump Arbour
Herkimer, NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Dan87GT, B. Nicholson, AndrewQ, Jay999, davidlittle
10939 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 83
DavidP 63
Popular Topics(Views)
1,067,290 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,269
Posts684,931
Members10,939
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
35 registered members (Alan_nc), 645 guests, and 733 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tight axle - Advise Needed! #703154 07/28/17 6:32 pm
Dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Recently I've acquired a '58 DBD rolling chassis. It's obvious the corrosion on many pieces the bike had sat out in the weather and rain for some time. I have the chassis up on my building stand and mostly stripped down with the help of lots of 'PB Blaster'. However I can't seem to remove the rear axle. It's sure not my 'first rodeo' on how the wheel is assembled.
Here's where I'm at: I was able to unscrew the long axle from the LH stub axel. The wheel splines are out of the brake drum and clear. Strangely the head of the long axle is still flush against the swing arm tab and can't be budged and the axle spacer is snug against the wheel bearing. It obviously seems to me the long axle is seized in the wheel bearing spacer. I've tried partially screwing the long axle back into the stub, loosening the stub axle nut and hammering on the stub. No joy.

Here's the rub: How do I fab or purchase a puller to remove the axle? A heavy duty 'knocker'? I don't want to cut the axle out with a torch or my sawsall as I'm out of spares. hmmmm

Any help or advise will be much appreciated

Dave - NV
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703159 07/28/17 7:15 pm
Magnetoman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Dave,

If I correctly understand the problem, i.e. that the long axle is completely unscrewed but it refuses to be pulled out the right side of the frame, I made some measurements of one of mine. Here's what I would do:

Starting with a ~1-3/4" x 1-3/4" piece of 1/4" or thicker steel, drill a 1" dia. hole in the center of it to clear the OD of the axle.
Tap 1/4-20 or 1/4-28 holes on either side of that central hole, 1-1/2" apart.
Slip this extractor over the axle far enough to drop a length of 3/8" rod (or 3/8" bolt) through one of the two holes in the end of the axle.
Use 1/4" cap screws in your extractor to push against the swinging arm and the 3/8" rod, which in turn pushes (or attempts to push) the axle out of the rusty spacer.

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703163 07/28/17 7:50 pm
A
Andy Higham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A
I had this same problem on an A10 years ago.
I used a blowtorch and gave the spacer a good roasting and it popped out

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703271 07/29/17 5:58 pm
Dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gents ... I searched the local auto supply stores with no luck finding a 'puller' for my seized axle. The closest I could find was a HD 'loaner' bearing puller, but the fine threads on a large diameter threaded shaft didn't allow for connecting to the axel. Yesterday I had a discussion with a machinist/fabricator friend regards my seized axle issue. He's in agreement with my initial idea of making up a puller using a piece of pipe placed against the swing arm tab with a threaded bolt through a tapped hole that's hooked onto the end of the axle with a fitting using a clevis and pin through the holes in the axle end. He believes he has the hardware and ability to fix my problem. We'll see ...

Thanks for your interest in my problem. MM .. your extractor would work, except I'm thinking I will need a 'gadget' that would pull over several inches. hmmm...

Last edited by dave - NV; 07/29/17 6:04 pm.

Dave - NV
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703273 07/29/17 6:12 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by dave - NV
I'm thinking I will need a 'gadget' that would pull over several inches.
If it didn't release after pulling it an inch with bolts, and you didn't want to go through repeating the process in one-inch increments with ever-thicker spacers under the bolts, "All Thread" can be as long as the axle:

https://www.grainger.com/category/ecatalog/N-1z0cdcp

If your friend's clevis solution doesn't work keep this in mind as an alternative.

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703362 07/30/17 6:53 pm
Swan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Dave,

Kroil is the best penetrant available commercially, and many believe a mixture of 50% acetone and 50% ATF is the best way to loosen seized parts. I have had success with both on severely frozen parts.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Swan] #703403 07/31/17 1:58 am
J
Jerry Roy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
I second the ATF and acetone.

After you get some rotation on the axle, a slide hammer hooked to the Tommy bar hole in the axle might do some good.
This, of course, after you know the threads are disengaged. facepalm
JR

Last edited by Jerry Roy; 07/31/17 2:06 am.
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Jerry Roy] #703821 08/03/17 4:29 pm
BritTwit Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Well now I can offer some first hand information. A few days after Dave made his post, I rolled out my 54 BB GS project. i needed to replace a tire and discovered my axle was locked solid as well. First step was to back out the spindle until the splines were visible. Then I laid it over on it;s side and braced it. Heat was then applied and PB Blaster was applied. After two heat and cool cycles with PB, I let it set over night.
Next morning, after cleaning up the oil that leaked out of the oil tank, I heated until it just started to glow and one more shot of PB. After inserting a tommy bar through the lower holes, I was then able to use two lever bars to pull the axle out.

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: BritTwit] #703849 08/03/17 7:43 pm
T
ToolBox Dave Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
So is it just rust and junk that that has grown and hardened over time? Give us a little more info on what you think the problem with the axel was. Question was for BritTwit

Last edited by ToolBox Dave; 08/03/17 7:48 pm.

1961 BSA DBD34 Clubman
1966 Triumph T120TT
1972 Rickman 250MX

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: ToolBox Dave] #703875 08/03/17 11:52 pm
BritTwit Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The bike had set outside for some time. Engine plates, foot pegs ect., were pretty crusty. As for the axle, there is a small area in the swing arm axle slot that will let water seep into the spacer spool that will incubate the corrosion. Laying the bike over on it's side will expose these two point where the PB Blaster can be applied. The corrosion between the spool and axle will trap the axle to the swing arm. I've had this problem many times with the swing arm shaft, but this is my first time with the axle locking up.
I'll apply a thin film of wheel bearing grease on assembly as a courtesy to the next guy.

Coming to terms with your delusions, is the first step to sanity
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703906 08/04/17 9:44 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The later Norton handbooks tell you to grease the wheel spindles before replacing, with the move to sealed wheel bearings for longer bearing life this is even more important.

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #703944 08/04/17 6:22 pm
Dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Gents ... A report on my stuck axle issue .. Yesterday I finished fabbing my GS axle 'puller' and it worked! Here's what I made .. I bought a length of 7/8" 14 TPI 'all thread', nuts and washers at my local Fastenal store. Using pieces from my junk box I found a short length of thick wall pipe to make a 'receiver', by lathing the ID of one end to fit over the end of the axle. I drilled 3/8" holes in the fitting to correspond with the hole in the axle and made a pin to fit. I then welded this receiver to one end of the all thread I had cut to length. This assembly fit inside a ~ 10" length of water pipe with a large washer tack welded to one end. You may wonder about the largish size all thread I used, but when I first cranked on the nut, lubed with anti seize, with a long wrench it took a hard heave to start the axle moving and happily it all worked. whew

Next is the prolly stuck swing arm pivot. All prayers and advise from those who "have been there, done that" will be gladly accepted.

Dave - NV
Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #704059 08/05/17 5:35 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by dave - NV
Yesterday I finished fabbing my GS axle 'puller' and it worked!
This shows you can't have too many special tools when working on even a single model of just one brand of machine. Unfortunately, sometimes the issue for me isn't that I don't have a special tool when I need it, it's either remembering I have it, or spotting it in the toolbox even if I do remember...

Re: Tight axle - Advise Needed! [Re: Dave - NV] #704150 08/06/17 7:23 pm
Dave - NV Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Not to bore you, but the swing arm pivot bolt tapped out reasonably easy after the shocks were removed and the arm moved up and down to break it loose. I had sprayed CB Blaster at the ends of the cross tube without much hope the stuff would migrate very far into the bushing, but when removed the bolt showed PB Blaster the full length. Good stuff!
BTW, I've always lightly lubed the pivot bolt and axles when reinstalling to prevent these issues.

Dave - NV

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO