BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
steve-d
steve-d
Pennsyltucky, USA
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cracked frame
#701785 07/15/17 12:59 am
JD Offline OP
Moto-Amish
OP Offline
Moto-Amish
I was working on my '70 BSA this evening in the basement when I looked down and noticed a little bit of rust on the back side of the right down tube, just above the forward engine mount. There's a crack in the frame! Is this something that any competent welder can take care of? How screwed am I?

Attached Files Frame crack.jpg

Josh
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Cracked frame
JD #701788 07/15/17 1:19 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Is the frame cracked or are you getting some rust bleed from the faint? BSA frames are pretty tough....

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
JD #701792 07/15/17 1:53 am
JD Offline OP
Moto-Amish
OP Offline
Moto-Amish
Hard to see in the photo, but definitely looks like a crack just above the weld bead.

Josh
JD #701840 07/15/17 3:58 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You need to make sure that the frame is indeed cracked. If it is you have a problem.The reason is that the engine mount lug is brazed to the frame and you can't weld anything that was previously brazed. So the fix would be to replace a section of frame tubing and then braze the engine mount lug back on.

One thing that I noticed is that the frame tube is waisted above the engine mount lug. Possibly crash bars or highway pegs were mounted to the frame tubes which could have stressed the frame causing the frame tube to crack.

Peter Joe

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership