BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
The Bonneville Shop BritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum
| Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Motoplane33, Loop, Filthy pup, Kevin Victor, Soupdragon
10739 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 126
reverb 51
DavidP 51
Rohan 48
Popular Topics(Views)
925,167 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,187
Posts673,305
Members10,739
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (40 Below!), 474 guests, and 930 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What did you do in the war grandad... #691289
04/11/17 6:31 pm
04/11/17 6:31 pm
Royal Berkshire.
K
Kev. Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
K

Royal Berkshire.
I rode motorcycles.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

pictures from the the"Rifles Museum" Winchester.

:bigt

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1952 Norton Special
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1981 Harley FLH
2006 BMW R1200GS

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America

Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691303
04/11/17 7:53 pm
04/11/17 7:53 pm
Les P Offline

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline

BritBike Forum member

My Grandfather was in the war, my Father in WW2 (RAAF / Pacific)
After watching the news at breakfast this morning (2:45 am) the thought that they had done so in vain came to mind.
Neither had any interest in motorcycles as far as I know. (Grew up around Rileys / Jaguar's / MG's and Alfa's)

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691330
04/11/17 11:56 pm
04/11/17 11:56 pm
Orygone
Boomer Online happy

BritBike Forum member
Boomer  Online Happy

BritBike Forum member

Orygone
Well not sure about my Grandfather but my Father spent WW2 in New Guinea. Went to Australia in March of '42, moved up to Rockhampton from Melbourne later that year and jungle trained until they invaded New Guinea and fought with the 3rd Australia Infantry on the Kokoda Trail. Being a Captain in the Oregon National Guard 218th Artillery Battery A, he was given the honor of given the command to shoot the first shell against the enemy for the 218th in New Guinea. After being wounded, catching yellow fever, and awarded two silver stars he was sent back to Australia as the XO of the 205th Field Artillery. They, the Army, medically discharged him after 20 years in the Oregon Guard and working through the ranks from private to a final promotion to Lt. Colonel. They told him him due to his wounds he only had a couple of years to live. Lucky for me he lived 12 and had five kids with his Glenelg Australia born bride.

Then Captain Brown over looking the jungle from the top of the Owen Stanely's in New Guinea. Far top right, shirtless, shorts, and an Aussie field hat.

[Linked Image]

The man with the pencil thin mustache.

[Linked Image]

Not sure where I got my penchant for motorcycles and racing, he despised motorcycles. Nobody on me mums side either.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691334
04/12/17 12:50 am
04/12/17 12:50 am
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline

DOPE
kevin roberts  Offline

DOPE

ohio, usa
my grandfather was in the American Expeditionary Forces, in france, during the great war.

he was in the signal corp, which meant he was a dispatch rider-- indians, no harleys.

i've got his collar badges knocking around here somewhere

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691444
04/12/17 6:10 pm
04/12/17 6:10 pm
somewhere in the UK
Mike Muir Offline

Life member
Mike Muir  Offline

Life member

somewhere in the UK
Both my Grandfathers were in WW1. No motorcycles as far as I know, Mum's Dad was a coal miner, so likely was a sapper digging tunnels, Dad's Dad died in the 30's as a result of being gassed. Dad did ride bikes when I was a kid (Home Guard in WW2), and Mum was a Naval Nurse (no bikes!) in WW2.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691535
04/13/17 10:33 am
04/13/17 10:33 am
Brisbane, Australia
BrizzoBrit Offline

Life member
BrizzoBrit  Offline

Life member

Brisbane, Australia
Nice story Boomer. Oz needed all the help it could get.

I know this ain't bikes, but. My dad was a Fitter 2E (engine fitter) in RAAF WWII. Worked for 2 air ambulance unit (amongst others) that flew out of New Guinea and into to Archerfield in Brisbane. The ambulances were de Havilland Dragons. They had to fly circuitous routes through the Owen Stanley Mountain range because they couldnt climb high enough to go straight over. Fabric covered timber framed twin engine biplanes. He trained on RR Merlins amongst other things and I have his WWII workshop manuals. I have photos of him on the work party replacing the high-rated bomber Merlins with lower rated Spitfire Merlins on the Lancaster bomber G for George that ozzies would know so well (if they interested in this stuff).

My grandfather did Gallipoli (reinforcement, only for 1 month) then to Egypt, caught the clap, and then went to France & Belgium for 2 years. Gassed twice, bayoneted and AWOL. Must have been a bit of a character in those days. He died when I was young. I visited Belgium and many of the battlefields he (47th battalion which was decimated and disbanded) fought at that will be well known to ozzies with an interest in that. Ypres, Menin Rd, Polygon Wood etc. He marched through the Menin Gate at Ypres on Armisitice day. He was a runner and bugler.

We have it good.

Les, this crap will always go on. We've been lucky that for most of us it's skipped a couple of generations and I hope it stays that way for our kids.

Attached Files

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: BrizzoBrit] #691542
04/13/17 11:36 am
04/13/17 11:36 am
Les P Offline

BritBike Forum member
Les P  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Originally Posted by BrizzoBrit

We have it good.

Les, this crap will always go on. We've been lucky that for most of us it's skipped a couple of generations and I hope it stays that way for our kids.

True.
I had posted these links before from the early 1980's (My step father I seem to remember was on Hudson bombers ) when I was back and forward to the Copper mine on Bougainville Island.

http://s30.photobucket.com/user/manurewa/library/PNG?sort=3&page=1

I went from one end to the other of the island any chance I could, hard going for all those involved in the PNG campaigns in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_Campaign

It occurred to me I can think of no other family member that had an interest in motorcycles ( besides farm/work bikes at at an early age)

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691544
04/13/17 11:50 am
04/13/17 11:50 am
Brisbane, Australia
BrizzoBrit Offline

Life member
BrizzoBrit  Offline

Life member

Brisbane, Australia
Some interesting stuff there Les.

My dad used to occasionally tell stories of paddock bashing a bike as a kid, but I don't think he wanted to encourage me. I think he harbored a secret like for bikes, but would never say it.

Cheers
Ray

BSA 1969 A65F
BSA 1966 A65H
Triumph 1968 T120
Kawasaki A1R
& too many projects!
Re: What did you do in the war grandad... [Re: Kev.] #691546
04/13/17 11:52 am
04/13/17 11:52 am
New Zealand
J
johnm Offline
BritBike Forum member
johnm  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

New Zealand
Would you believe camels :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Camel_Corps_Brigade

And later with the 2 nd NZ Machine Gun Squadron rode with the Australian 5 th Light Horse Brigade into Damascus in 1918. In some of the same battles as Lawrence of Arabia so there is one bike connection :-)

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership