BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
expresidente
expresidente
Germany North
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Argos parts, Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider
10862 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
DavidP 72
reverb 62
NickL 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,017,454 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,800
Posts680,396
Members10,862
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (998John), 390 guests, and 866 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #782007 08/20/19 3:40 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I wasted two hours trying to put the freshly painted chain guard back on the Trident. Even if I manage to get the front mount lined up with the tab on the swingarm there's not enough space behind it to get a nut on the bolt, and no way to hold the nut anyway.
What did they do at the factory, put on the guard before the rear fender?

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #782036 08/20/19 1:31 pm
E
edunham Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
E
David,
Its been a while since I fussed with my Trident's chain guard, so I don't remember whether the tab on the guard goes in front of the tab on the swingarm or the other way around. Putting it in front would give a bit more clearance if there is clearance for the chain. Another possibility is to weld or JB weld the nut to the appropriate tab. Is the issue clearance for the nut, the wrench, both or something else?

Ed From NJ

Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: edunham] #782076 08/20/19 11:21 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by edunham
David,
Its been a while since I fussed with my Trident's chain guard, so I don't remember whether the tab on the guard goes in front of the tab on the swingarm or the other way around. Putting it in front would give a bit more clearance if there is clearance for the chain. Another possibility is to weld or JB weld the nut to the appropriate tab. Is the issue clearance for the nut, the wrench, both or something else?

Ed From NJ

Yeah, part of the problem is that it's been a year since I took the thing off. I don't remember on which side the tab goes, I only remember that it was a total PITA to get to that nut. Had they just moved that tab 1/8" forward one could get a socket on a long extension in there. It does seem that the tab on the guard needs to go behind the tab on the swingarm for clearance, but when I tried to put it there I couldn't pull the guard back far enough for the holes to line up.
I'm tempted to just wait until the rear wheel is off and loosen the front fender mount.
Another reason that seniors in automotive engineering should be required to intern as mechanics.

I had a look at the parts book. The drawing of the chain guard shows a bend in the front mounting tab. That bend looked more pronounced than the one on my guard. Maybe PO had trouble and straightened it to make it fit on the wrong side of the swingarm tab?
In any case I redid the bend. I'm hoping that it now fits on the back side of the swingarm tab.

Had another go at it today. The tab on the guard now goes on the back side. Still can't quite get the holes to line up. Maybe I'll loosen the chain up to get it to droop out of the way. Or just put it on the shelf until the next rear tire change.

Last edited by DavidP; 08/22/19 4:13 am.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #782275 08/22/19 11:17 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I put 107 needle jets on the Trident. Did midrange plug chop a couple of days ago and got no deposits on the plugs. Of course, it's raining now so I can't check it out until tomorrow.
Finally got the chain guard back on. Had to loosen the chain to get it out of the way and loosen up the rear fender to put a thick washer between the bottom and the mounting tab. I used a thin headed screw from a road case on the front mount to ensure clearance. Of course, then I had to get the chain back onto the rear sprocket with the guard in place, but it's done.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: What did you do to your bike today --join in [Re: chris l] #782728 08/27/19 3:55 am
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Waiting for clutch parts, so I figured it was time. I swapped the comical for a disc front end. No problem really, just had to change the steering bearings to use the caged balls.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Page 24 of 24 1 2 22 23 24

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership