BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
splittie65
splittie65
Surrey, UK.
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
My friend is rebuilding his 1970 T120R Bonnie.
He's using a Morgo 750 kit along with the Morgo oil pump and everything else is brand new.
The cams and followers need replacing, or regrinding.
Any suggestions for improvements over stock parts? It's going to be a road going bike, not looking for super power, but what are some of the better options available while the work has to be done?
Cheers JG for DB in Australia

Current: 2 x 1966 A65S, 1 x 1967 A65SA, 1 x 69/70? A65LA space Y, 1 X D14/4 & 1 x B175
Past: 4 x 1976 T160V, 1 74/5 T150V, 83 model GSX 750 ESD, Z650, Katana 1100(Bathurst Model), 79 T140V, 70's TR6, 2 x 1971 BSA 250 Gold Stars, 50's 350 Goldie, A65 Spitfire semi basket case, 1965/6? A65 LC, Tiger 21 350 & a D14/4 Bantam, 175 Bridgestone Twin with Zimmerman discs!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
D
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
D
http://www.megacyclecams.com/

Take your pick.
Great customer service.

1968 T120R
1972 T120RV
Any advice given is without a warranty expressed or implied.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
There's no one size fits all answer to this question.
Personally, I'd be more than happy with 650 cams in a road bike. They give a sweet running engine that's fun to ride.
If power is your thing or for competition, then I'd swap the intake for a T140 with appropriate followers.

Born To Run
Born To Run
Originally Posted by John Goodwin

Any suggestions for improvements over stock parts?

I'd see if I could return the Morgo oil pump or sell it. For a road-going bike, the stock pump is more than adequate. Spend the money on an external oil filter.

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What is wrong with a Morgo plunger oil pump ? (or is it a rotary gear version)

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
...some years ago I bought a rotary from a UK shop, later with all that rap about it I emailed Morgo telling if they can changed me that one for a plunger one with my lose in money (remember that I did not bought it from Morgo) so I sent the pump and they provided with a plunger one and a T shirt and may be the overseas shipping cost; I do not remember right now. Pretty cool.

-I still do not get it the external filter...you always will tear down the motor before the sludge trap be full again.
Getting all super clean in the rebuild, super clean the lines and oil tank; changing oil etc
you do not need any external filter.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
You don't have to fit an oil filter, but it's no bad thing if you do. It filters the oil!

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
There have been entries on this site that say the MORGO gear pump over-produces and causes leaks at the rocker-box area.

It has been some time since I read this, so I hope another correspondent will reply with better information.

N
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
N
My 67 TR6R has the rotary.

It doesn't leak around the rocker boxes - or anywhere else, for that matter.

That's a 100% approval rating from a sample of one (as the small print on the adverts says).

N

"1967 TR6R"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
My friend has a rotary, maybe one of the first sold, installed many years ago. It never gave any problems but was skillfully installed, ie. pressure relief valve correct and I think the return to the sump opened up to prevent backup of oil in the timing cover.

However, like with any gear pump, there can be leakage around the gears and over time the oil tank will empty into the engine. Not a problem if you actually ride them.

I've installed many Morgo plunger pumps myself with 100% satisfaction. Note that the Morgo plunger pumps are essentially 750 pumps and the most benefit is gained through installing these in earlier bikes. And, yes, there are pre unit versions available, too. I've only seen one four valve pump and that was installed in the street tracker I worked on a few months ago. That bike needed the inside of the timing cover relieved a bit to fit the wider pump. It got a bit thin before the timing cover went all the way on....

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 10/02/16 6:10 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
knuckle head
knuckle head
I believe all the Morgo plunger pumps have the same size bores as stock Triumph pumps. What I don't know if the Morgo plunger pumps flow more oil...Morgo may be manufactured to a higher standard?
I know guys running the fastest land speed record Triumphs using stock pumps...I believe a stock pump that's within specification is all that's needed..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Morgo has bigger plungers than a Pre-unit Triumph pump.

Last edited by triton thrasher; 10/03/16 2:17 pm.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Triumph incrementally increased the bore size. I think there are three sizes.
Putting the 750 sized plungers in an earlier bike makes for peace of mind.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
knuckle head
knuckle head
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
Morgo has bigger plungers than a Pre-unit Triumph pump.

Correct, the Morgo pre unit pump plungers sizes are about the same as a later unit pump..
Service manuals available on line and look like reprints of original Triumph manuals show the same oil pump plunger sizes for Triumph unit 650 from 63 through the early 750's. I have seen pumps with smaller feed plungers on early unit 650's..

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,61 A10 .On a bike you can out run the demons..
“But I don't want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked. “Oh, you can't help that,” said the Cat: “we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books