BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
cabletech
cabletech
Rhode Island
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychorider, Shedengineering, Shayne Brown, Snow's Cycles, Scottboy
10858 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
reverb 65
NickL 56
DavidP 53
Popular Topics(Views)
1,005,581 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,730
Posts679,860
Members10,858
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 366 guests, and 776 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area #667850 09/16/16 8:46 pm
B
Bob E Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Howdy people. got a question, have not had the 67 BSA Thunderbolt out in a while, but rode it last weekend and had a ticking sound coming from left exhaust area sounds like. I think the sound was there last year when I rode it also. could it be a valve adjustment needed? any other ides? Thanks Bob

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #667854 09/16/16 10:12 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Possible exhaust leak between the exhaust port and pipe.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Boomer] #668183 09/19/16 8:50 pm
B
Bob E Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Thanks Bill, will have to take a close look at it and try and seal up any leaks in that area

Bob

Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #668188 09/19/16 10:03 pm
Mark Z Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Exhaust leakage around the header pipes is a common problem on BSA unit twins, as the pipes are just a push fit in the head, and they tend to loosen over time due to vibration and such. There are various ways to fix this, some more elaborate than others. For a quick but somewhat temporary fix, and to find out if that is indeed the problem, you can shove some goop in behind the heat sink. There's a product called Motoseal, but I haven't tried to source that in a long time. I use fingertip caulk, the stuff that you use to seal around screen door frames. You roll it into a string, wrap it around the header pipe, push the heat sink up against it, and tighten it down. It does deteriorate after a while; I find I have to reapply it about once a year.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #668245 09/20/16 11:55 am
C.B.S Online Content
Parts Dealer
Online Content
Parts Dealer
@Mark Z +1 I agree

Do you have the original BSA exhaust pipes or reproduction? I have found that the original exhaust pipes have a better fit into the head as compared to the reproduction types, but they both work. If you look at your exhaust fins on the clamp and the head, sometimes you will see signs of exhaust carbon that has been escaping around your exhaust pipe. On all "push-in" exhaust pipes, I use a red sealer... similar to this http://ttiexhaust.com/Category-MiscComponents/PermatexSealer.jpg Clean all surfaces, apply, and allow 24 hours to seal. This will solve your "ticking" problems. I hope this helps

[Linked Image]
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: C.B.S] #668438 09/21/16 7:56 pm
B
Bob E Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
C.B.S

I have repo pipes on it and the fit is a little off. I have some red RTV that I will try and seal up any gaps where the pipes go in the head and see how that works. Thanks for the help.
Bob

Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #668448 09/21/16 9:45 pm
kevin roberts Online Confused
DOPE
Online Confused
DOPE

check the valve adjustment, like you suspected.

if that's what it is, your problem is solved.

super easy on a BSA

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: kevin roberts] #668664 09/23/16 8:43 pm
B
Bob E Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
B
Thanks Kevin, I will check the valve adjustments also.

Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #668775 09/24/16 8:49 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Ive tried all sorts of stuff on the head to pipes seal, what works best for me is Silicone sealer, bath type stuff. Everything must be cleaned back to bare metal before application, this means pipes off, a small wire decoke brush in a drill is best for doing the ports, stuff a rag in first in case a valve is open. This is a permanent fix, unlike the proprietary exhaust pastes which tend to crack and fall out. Smear some goop round the headers, then push home,wipe off excess, job done.
if the ticking is still there after this and checking tappets then start worrying, could be piston slap, maybe head gasket or small ends, take the easy ones first.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #668836 09/25/16 11:12 am
L
LeonGustus Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
My left ear hears better than the right, so all my noises come from that side. I cured one tick by rolling aluminum foil into a string and packing it into the exhaust until its flush with the heat sink. Not entirely a "fix" but cheap and easy. Fixed another tick - by tightening the head steady rod. That was a boo-boo left over from a valve job that required replacing the valve guides - one of which was quite ticky. My timing gears are a little ticky too, but they're on the right. Now I dont hold with the expression "a tappy tappet is a happy tappet" but as hard as I try, I still get a little ticky. Maybe the tach cable is ticky. I'll pull that and check. I wonder if I have any anti-tick lube?

October of 69-A50R
Re: Ticking sound on LH side exhaust area [Re: Bob E] #669316 09/28/16 6:13 pm
gavin eisler Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Disconnect the cable and see if that cures it, the primary chain gets noisy when worn.

Last edited by gavin eisler; 09/28/16 9:47 pm.

71 Devimead A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership