BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
zotz
zotz
Cambridge, Ont.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bud O, knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson
11024 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 75
koan58 62
Rohan 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,155,540 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,996
Posts691,419
Members11,024
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
76 registered members (Alan_nc), 3,177 guests, and 743 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Need help identifying wheels #659692 07/07/16 12:04 pm
J
J. Charles Smith Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
It's time to clean out the garage (isn't is always?). I'm not sure about two Triumph wheels. I think the front wheel is from my 1967 T100SS (same as a Daytona?). The rear wheel could either be from that bike or maybe a 1962 T100, or maybe something else I have forgotten. Sorry for the quality of the photos. I can provide measurements if that would help. The rear is a WM3-18, the front a WM2-19. Thanks for any help.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #659702 07/07/16 1:14 pm
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi,

Rear one is qd.

Regards,

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #659738 07/07/16 5:21 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Hi Stuart. I have some of the qd parts, have to go through a couple of boxes to see how much. Pretty sure I have no brake drum, though I do have the brake plate. Do you know what years used the qd hubs (easier to ask you than to look it up!)?

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #659788 07/08/16 4:57 am
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi,

Originally Posted by J. Charles Smith
Do you know what years used the qd hubs

I'm not sure about two Triumph wheels. I think the front wheel is from my 1967 T100SS (same as a Daytona?). The rear wheel could either be from that bike or maybe a 1962 T100, or maybe something else I have forgotten.

Hmmm ... qd rear hubs were available certainly as an option for years; unfortunately, while I know some about late stuff - they were an option on certainly UK & General Export 500's and 650's up to and including '69 and (allegedly) just for the TR6 in 1970 - I know very little about earlier stuff. frown

Also confusing is the "T100SS" model code was last used in '66 ('67 US variants were T100R and T100C) and '66-on parts books say, "(NOT U.S.A.)" on the qd rear wheel pages ...

So I wonder if your qd rear wheel might've been from your "1962 T100"; the parts book shows the SS having WM3-18 rear and WM2-19 front rims?

Just as a matter of possible interest, a while back, there was a For Sale thread for a couple of qd hubs; unfortunately, the o.p. has deleted his pictures from his Photobucket, but he might still have them elsewhere if you're interested?

One final wrinkle - as you posted, "maybe something else I have forgotten". smile Nearly all qd hub threads are 20 tpi Cycle. However, just in 1970, Meriden changed the threads to Unified; confused the large 3/4" and 7/8" threads are difficult to tell because they're still 20 tpi, just UNEF; however, the long axle through the wheel to the stub axle is 20 tpi Cycle before the change and 18 tpi UNF after. :bigt

I have some of the qd parts,
Pretty sure I have no brake drum, though I do have the brake plate.

The other important parts will be the brake drum/sprocket stub axle and the long axle that goes through the hub to screw into the stub axle. Then the only concern would be how worn the hub splines are; afaik, the brake drum is the easiest part to get new, because it has the sprocket teeth cast on 'em, which wear out. smile

Hth.

Regards,

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #659955 07/09/16 2:30 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Thanks for your expertise, Stuart. In 1973, a friend and I bought two used Triumph 500s in England to ride around Europe. I still have the one I bought (it's just a rolling chassis at the moment). I was told it was a T100SS. It is a 1967 according to the title, but that may not mean anything. The frame number is T100T 54xxx according to my title (it looks like T100T ?54xxx on the frame). This old thread, to which you contributed, mentions the T100SS had a WM3-18 rear rim and a WM2-19 front, which are the two wheel sizes I am trying to identify http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=76729. Incidentally, the front wheel is an 8" brake. My friend's bike was the '62 T100. I kept a few parts from it, including the engine lower end and, apparently, the rear wheel. The threads on the stub axles are 20tpi, but I have no way of determining what thread type they are. I have both stub axles and the brake plate, plus the 3/4" nut and a couple of washers. Anyway, bottom line is that the QD hub looks to have been used on quite a few models, and I already have one person interested in it. Thanks again.

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #659972 07/09/16 9:14 pm
S
Stuart Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
S
Hi,

Ah, that's a bit clearer. :bigt

T100SS was used as a model code from '62 to '66. '67 to '70, T100T was the model code for the 'UK & General Export' twin-carb. 500, called the "Tiger Daytona" in '67 and just "Daytona" thereafter; both the frame and the engine should have T100T H54xxx; 54xxx is in the '67 number range - according to the parts books, '67 started at H49833 and '68 at H57083.

Man, that is OLD ... My son was two, my daughter hadn't had her first birthday and we'd just returned from our very first visit to Scotland. Now he's a teenager, she's not far off and we live there ...

That said, your wheels are slightly odd:-

. As I say, T100SS was only used up to '66 and was a single-carb. model.

. Otoh, yours is a T100T - twin carb.? (and it still has the 3-UK-gallon tank with the single combined main-'n'-reserve tap on the drive side? smile ).

. As a UK model, the qd rear hub was an option ... but the specs. say it should've had WM2 x 18 rims both back and front - Triumph fitted a smaller 3.50x18 rear tyre to go with the 18" front on UK&GE 500's up to the end of the '70 season.

. Also, '67 is supposed to have a 7" front brake; again according to the specs., 8" (with a sls brake) wasn't fitted to the T100T and T100R 'til '68 ...

However, knowing how accurate parts books can be, whistle your bike wasn't built 'til later in '67 and you didn't buy it 'til '73, who's to say how it actually left Meriden and/or what was done to it by the intervening owner(s)? smile

The threads on the stub axles are 20tpi, but I have no way of determining what thread type they are.

If the one on the long axle is 20 tpi, that's Cycle, so chances are they all are - afaik, thankfully Meriden didn't mix Cycle female and UNEF male threads on the brake stub axle; all-Cycle threads would fit with the qd hub being off a '67 T100T.

I already have one person interested in it.

I'm pleased, and not surprised given how quick the ones in that Garage Sale thread sold; the qd hub is very useful if it isn't worn and must be quite rare in the US? If we'd been in the same country, I'd have probably asked too, but shipping from the US to GB would be a killer. frown

Pleased to have been of help and thanks for sharing the story. smile

Regards,

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #660190 07/11/16 12:18 pm
J
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
J
Well, that clinches it, then. I was told it was a T100SS, but the numbers don't lie; it must be a '67 T1100T. (I no longer have the original engine, but it did have a twin carb head.) Unfortunately, I no longer have much of anything from the bike I bought in Olde Blighty, including the original tank. When the '62 bike started blowing smoke and oil, and a crooked motorcycle shop in Nancy, France, said it would need a complete rebuild (was just swarf under the pump ball-check valve, but what did we know?), we decided to put the bikes on a train to Rotterdam. There, we managed to get both of them onto one pallet by tossing the tinwork, exhausts, etc. into a dumpster, and shipped them back to the States for about $100 total. (Remember, this was 1973, so the two Trumpets were just junky used bikes. Besides, having worked at a chopper shop the previous two years, I figured take-off stock tanks, exhausts, etc. were readily available, cheap.) Just looking at the bike these days, back in a corner of the garage behind other stuff, it looks to still have a qd hub on it. Since you say the hub with the 20tpi axles would be a late one, and it's laced to a WM3-18 Dunlop rim, perhaps I put the original '62 hub on the '67, though why, I have no idea. I'd rebuilt the T100T long ago with Marzocchi forks, an Italian front drum, new rims and SS spokes. So maybe the 19" front wheel was on it and maybe not (like, what happened to the brake internals?). Over 40 years have passed by, as have a lot of bikes and parts, and my memory isn't what it once was, so who knows? Thanks for blowing a lot of the dust away, Stuart.

Re: Need help identifying wheels [Re: J. Charles Smith] #660241 07/11/16 7:46 pm
Jon W. Whitley Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith,

I may be interested in your QD rear wheel if you are going to be parting with it ?

Jon W.

1957 6T Thunderbird 650
1968 T100R Daytona 500
1971 TR6R Tiger 650
1970 BSA A65F 650
1955 Tiger 100 - Project
1971 BSA A65 650 - Project
1972 Norton Commando 750 "Combat"

Moderated by  John Healy 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership