BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New Gold Star
#657694 06/20/16 6:03 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
A literal barn find, I picked this up with some other bikes this weekend. I'm a Triumph guy by default, but looking forward to getting this thing back in running order. Looking for some general info on the bike. Looks to be a '56 or '57 DBD34 GS 2XXX. Has a fiberglass tank, engine doesn't turn over freely, but haven't had a chance to work with it too much. Has the "SC" gearbox and alloy cylinder. I'd like to rebuild this bike to be somewhat period correct, or at the very least not get any head scratchers asking why why why!?!

1. If I wanted to get an alloy or steel tank, what are my options? Or should I just rock the fiberglass tank?
2. Wheels will have to be rebuilt - are excell or other new alloy rims an acceptable substitute, or should I find some steel rims?
3. What makes a bike a Clubman or other sub model? This one obviously has fork covers and no place for clip-ons.
4. Should I stick with the stock trim, or would it be feasible to find the shorter fork covers and get clip-ons?
5. Where can I find more specific info on the bike, like specifics on the gearbox, trim, etc.

Thanks for any info you can share!
[Linked Image]

'70 Tiger 650
'73 Bonneville
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New Gold Star
jugganaut #657699 06/20/16 7:09 pm
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by jugganaut
5. Where can I find more specific info on the bike, like specifics on the gearbox, trim, etc.
Hmm, this sort of question seems to be coming up a lot recently. If it were me, the I'd look for the answers to this and other questions in a copy of:

https://www.createspace.com/5757916

But, that's just my opinion...

jugganaut #657754 06/21/16 7:53 am
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Yes. Magneto man wrote that book. There are some answers in there.

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
jugganaut #657769 06/21/16 10:52 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by jugganaut

1. If I wanted to get an alloy or steel tank, what are my options? Or should I just rock the fiberglass tank?
2. Wheels will have to be rebuilt - are excell or other new alloy rims an acceptable substitute, or should I find some steel rims?
3. What makes a bike a Clubman or other sub model? This one obviously has fork covers and no place for clip-ons.
4. Should I stick with the stock trim, or would it be feasible to find the shorter fork covers and get clip-ons?

Thanks for any info you can share!

Congratulations on your Gold Star! You are about to begin a long, difficult, but rewarding journey. To answer your questions:

1. Reproduction tanks are available from India and the UK. You get what you pay for and go with one of this site's sponsors. Read the reviews on eBay and this forum. Quality varies greatly, so shop around.

2.Your choice for rims. I like modern flanged alloy rims. Buchanan's Spoke and Rim (US) or Central Wheel Components (UK) has what you need. Rechroming is expensive and can leave the punched holes too thin for tensioned spokes. Modern Borranni rims are available from this site.

3. Gold Stars left the factory in various trims, Clubman, Scrambles, Home, Export models etc., But in reality it is the same girl in a different dress. The frame and motor are identical, gearbox ratios and trim varied per model.

4. Your Choice.

5. This forum, "The BSA Gold Star" book by Mick Walker, "BSA Gold Star" by Bruce Main-Smith, "Goldie: The Development History of the BSA Gold Star" A. Golland and most of all, the aforementioned "The Gold Star Buyer's Companion" by Dr. Charles Falco. Consider the CD of BSA parts, factory service manuals, and service sheets from BB forum sponsor Kim the CD Man.

Gear box ratios can be found here.

I have/had an extensive build thread of a 1962 BSA DBD34 Clubman from barn find to the bike I rode to work today with hundreds of image and fantastic contributions and advice from the helpful members on this forum. Through an accidental BB forum administrative error, we lost my build thread, but it is salvaged here. It is a bit clunky, but feel free to message me for a link to photo gallery with hundreds of high resolution images of the breakdown and rebuild for your reference.

Again, congratulations on your Gold Star. Start a build thread in the "members' bike projects' section and we will help you out. Be patient, ask questions, document your progress, do not take short cuts, and enjoy the process. Good luck!

Last edited by Swan; 06/21/16 5:20 pm.

1966 Triton
1962 BSA DBD34 Gold Star
1966 Triumph Bonneville
jugganaut #657771 06/21/16 11:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A great find ! ... not many true barn finds left.
Your are on the verge of what will be an interesting, satisfying, worrying at times ...and yes, expensive! project that will link you to a piece of Brit. motorcycle history.

There is a deep mine of knowledge and expertise on this site ....use it to it's fullest.

Good luck,

James.

jugganaut #657806 06/21/16 4:51 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Great!

Like all above have said, and in particular Swan's
To Do List...but first, before you do anything else...

1. Read the entire content of Brit Bikes Gold Star Forum...back thru Day 0.

And then of course get all those books, and read all them too...several times...and then!

Then start....in the meanwhile Do No Harm....unlike us former owners...well, some of us. facepalm and don't throw any parts away, haha...

(some might think I'm kidding.....I might be, I might not.)

Congratulations!...you've come to the right place.

Moderated by  Rich B 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership