BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
GREEN MONSTER
GREEN MONSTER
southern N.H.
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
longstroke, Lovatomi, Gary Hawthorn, Marcel Fekete, Changaroo
10896 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 118
DavidP 73
quinten 67
NickL 59
Popular Topics(Views)
1,045,339 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,006
Posts682,433
Members10,896
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
66 registered members (Adam M.), 735 guests, and 886 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
1962 Catalina #657047 06/15/16 10:08 pm
Magnetoman Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I can't remember now what prompted the obsession, but earlier this spring I decided I "need" to have a Catalina. That "need" resulted in a one-owner (before me) 1962 West Coast model arriving at my house this afternoon. It's a matching numbers bike that was shipped to Hap Alzina on 10 November 1961
[Linked Image]

This Catalina makes it three, allowing me to organize Gold Star rides with mini-packs of my friends. So, while recently a few of you, quite rationally, have been discussing downsizing your collections and/or adding electric starters I look to Keith Richards as inspiration that one need not grow old gracefully.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657050 06/15/16 10:16 pm
Lannis Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Online Content
Well'ard Rocker
Well, when you have a "need" (and we try not to use that 'n-word' around here, it doesn't really have any meaning or applicability), you certainly go All Out to get it taken care of.

That might be the nicest original Gold Star I've ever seen .... Congratulations! (And you don't have to use the "o-word" either ... !)

Lannis

I'll believe that it's a criss when the people who tell me it's a crisis start acting like it's a crisis ...
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657061 06/16/16 12:18 am
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
I feel your pain, no happiness! Bought three more myself today. Someone has to keep the economy rolling. Nice bike.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657062 06/16/16 12:22 am
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
I've got a few Catalinas and non have pillion loops on BOTH sides?

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657065 06/16/16 1:07 am
Triless Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
What a beautiful motorcycle !

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: goodtry] #657070 06/16/16 1:49 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by goodtry
I've got a few Catalinas and non have pillion loops on BOTH sides?
I tried to get a definitive answer to this in a thread I started a year ago:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=619717#Post619717

While valuable information was posted in the above thread the total number of bikes for which there was information was pretty small compared with the 621 Catalinas that were produced with CB32C frames from 1958 until the end five years later.

I've known this particular Catalina for two years and its frame passes all my legitimacy tests. Given that Hap Alzina had West Coast Catalinas configured with Magdynos, regulators, and wiring to make it easy to convert them to legal street scramblers it's actually surprising that all West Coast frames didn't have passenger loops on both sides. Certainly it could have been different for ones sent to the East Coast, but the above thread has very little on possible East/West differences.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657071 06/16/16 1:54 am
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Looks like it would do some nice cookies in that manicured lawn of that beautiful new house of yours!

Bill B... grin

Boomer
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657086 06/16/16 7:21 am
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
I think the folks building these bikes at BSA had a set of rules to follow, just human error got in the way. I believe we can trace most of the errors to the frame dept. one of my Catalinas 1960 has the newer frame where the serial number is stamped on the web, and Ian said there are higher frame numbers with the old serial numbers on the neck! It would have been easy in 1961 to mess up as there was transition and new bikes like the special competition. If Mr. Frame stamper messes up, there not going to trash a frame. That's my personal theory.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657095 06/16/16 8:44 am
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Ohhhhh, very nice Mr Magnetoman, lovely intake box and central oil tanks, we need to get those re-mfg somewhere...

now this is what they looked like back in the day, haha.... One like this, but with Clubman tanks and seat was my daily transportation around UCSB for 2 years...various wheels, tanks, seats, exhaust pipes and carbys too, all same bike, cams maybe I ferget...lol.$700, I got took!...nah, it was perfect, all yellow tin...no lights, rowdy pipe like that, 1.5" GP..braaap! lights, never!~

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657107 06/16/16 11:45 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Boomer
Looks like it would do some nice cookies in that manicured lawn of that beautiful new house of yours!
I'm pretty sure there's a clause in the neighborhood association bylaws that allows them to crucify anyone who even thinks of starting an open-pipe Gold Star.

Originally Posted by Bodger
lovely intake box and central oil tanks, we need to get those re-mfg somewhere...
It's great that it has that intake box because, with total possible sales of only 621 (correction: 620, because I already have one), market forces aren't exactly in favor of it being remanufactured. That said, one of those shops in India producing fuel tanks certainly could be commissioned to make reproduction intake boxes at a reasonable price.

Originally Posted by Bodger
my daily transportation around UCSB for 2 years... no lights, rowdy pipe like that...
Mine was a Triumph 500 with TT pipes that I rode that way for about 2 years before being pulled over in Newport Beach on my way home from campus one night. Crossover 2-into-1 high pipes with a silencer went on as a result because I had no choice but to use that bike and take the same route.

In my horde of parts I found a pair of upper fork shrouds with "ears," a headlamp bucket, and an as-new silencer with 1-3/4" ID. The baffle at the inlet end is far enough in that it looks like it can slip far enough onto that long exhaust pipe to look reasonable. However, this morning I remembered BSA sold a lighting kit for bikes like this so I looked in the accessories catalog. As the catalog reminded me, a Bates-type headlamp attaches to a bracket that bolts across the front of the fork legs, eliminating the need to disassemble the forks to swap shrouds, and an appropriate combination light/license bracket attaches to the two bolts on the rear brace, eliminating the need to consider drilling holes in that beautiful mudguard (or buying an aftermarket replacement to butcher). This bike could be legal(ish) and on the road much sooner than I thought. However, until replaced, the knobby tires will keep me from winning any road races.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657111 06/16/16 11:59 am
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Great looking bike.

In the UK you can keep knobbly tyres on for the MOT as long as they are for road use, then during the brake test if the tyre lets go on the roller before the brake stops the wheel you get a pass, great for getting weak 7" Single sided brakes through the MOT.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657126 06/16/16 2:56 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I'd forgotten how easy it is to get a bike titled and registered/licensed in my State. As long as it already had a title issued by this State it's a matter of a few signatures. I stopped at a private titling service on the way to work this morning carrying the old title that the seller had signed, and left with a new title in my name, registration good for two years, and license plate. Even though the bike hadn't been registered (i.e. licensed for use on the road, which is separate from the title that conveys ownership) for many years I didn't have to haul it in for an inspection to check the numbers or confirm its roadworthiness, pay any sales tax, or pay a fine for it not having been registered all those years.

I already have a Bates-type headlamp and mounting bracket, and I picked up an old taillight/license holder from my friend's shop that will be workable in the short term, so changing the oil is the main thing standing in the way of a short ride in the neighborhood. Rigging a battery-powered brake light will make longer rides possible.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657142 06/16/16 6:13 pm
AG Bill Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Nice looking bike!
What size tires does it currently have?
(3.50 x 19 front, 4.00 x 18 rear)?

63 BSA Goldstar Catalina Scrambler
70 BSA Victor Special
67 Lotus Elan Coupe
30 Ford Model A Sport Coupe
67 Turbo Offenhauser Indy Car Display Engine
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657166 06/16/16 8:31 pm
G
goodtry Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
Magnetoman, I've seen your skills on a lathe, what would it cost to make a screw for the air filter cover? Different year Catalina's had different screws. The later models were a little larger in diameter and the best looking being painted black. My lower screw is long gone. Take a look I think you'll be impressed with the workmanship of this little piece. Thanks!

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657180 06/16/16 9:45 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by AG Bill
What size tires does it currently have?
(3.50 x 19 front, 4.00 x 18 rear)?
It has a Dunlop WM2 rim on the front with a genuine 3.25x19 Dunlop Trials Universal tire, probably made when Victoria was still Queen. On the back is a Jones WM3 and on it is a Nitto 4.00x18. Actually, although I didn't give it a close inspection, I didn't see any cracking of the front tire and the rubber is remarkably supple (well, certainly not rock hard). The bike is currently in an inconvenient spot so I didn't look to see if the Nitto is new enough to have a date code on it.

Originally Posted by goodtry
My lower screw is long gone. Take a look I think you'll be impressed with the workmanship of this little piece.
Thanks for the lathe compliment. I can't imagine tackling restoration projects without my lathe and mill.

I have the bike temporarily crammed in a space in the garage where it's not easy to get at the right side. After I rearrange things this weekend I'll be able to see it.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: goodtry] #657255 06/17/16 1:27 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Ditto for me. I need two of those air cleaner cover knobs for mine, as well.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Irish Swede] #657394 06/18/16 2:21 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I need two of those air cleaner cover knobs for mine, as well.
I don't know if the air cleaner fasteners on my Catalina are the correct ones but, if they are, the following two photographs will let someone make duplicates that will fool any concours judge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are made of steel of total thickness 0.41" and with smaller OD 0.38", major OD 0.95", and a flat on the outer side of dia. 0.41". The dimensions of the other one are the same to within 0.01".

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657411 06/18/16 6:06 pm
S
Shane in Oz Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
I need two of those air cleaner cover knobs for mine, as well.
I don't know if the air cleaner fasteners on my Catalina are the correct ones but, if they are, the following two photographs will let someone make duplicates that will fool any concours judge

They are made of steel of total thickness 0.41" and with smaller OD 0.38", major OD 0.95", and a flat on the outer side of dia. 0.41". The dimensions of the other one are the same to within 0.01".

That could be good news for the Catalina owners. Those look like standard 15/16" o.d. 1/4" knurled nuts.

If BSA sourced the air clears in the UK, they would most likely have been an off the shelf item from Vokes or AMAL, so they'd be 1/4" BSW. If they were sourced in the USA, they're probably Donaldson, so the nuts would be 1/4" UNC. In either case, they're probably still a standard item available at engineering suppliers or farm machinery shops.#

Ferguson T20 air cleaners may well be potential donors.

[#] Yes, I have spent way too much time playing with real tractors smile

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Shane in Oz] #657417 06/18/16 7:07 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Those look like standard 15/16" o.d. 1/4" knurled nuts.
Nothing is ever that easy. They're 2BA. However, if they are a standard item in a 1/4" thread it would be faster to modify them to convert to 2BA than to start from scratch.

Progress on the Catalina despite being assigned household maintenance duties for the day; I fabricated brackets to mount a tail lamp.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657418 06/18/16 7:24 pm
L
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
McMaster _Carr look to have quite a selection of solid hub knobs,drill and tap to 2BA as needed ?.

James.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657420 06/18/16 7:34 pm
S
Shane in Oz Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
S
2BA will be trickier, although that's a standard thread for electrical work.

It would still be worth checking with engineering suppliers, and possibly widen the search to electrical suppliers.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657421 06/18/16 7:35 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Magnetoman
I'm pretty sure there's a clause in the neighborhood association bylaws that allows them to crucify anyone who even thinks of starting an open-pipe Gold Star.

I'm thinking you're wasting time before you can ride it. Just stuff a snuff'or'not in the end of that pipe to make your neighbors happy and start doing cookies. I've got a few so I could send ya one.

[Linked Image]

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Boomer] #657424 06/18/16 7:49 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I'm thinking you're wasting time before you can ride it.
It's 108 oF outside at this very moment, and it's predicted to be a record-breaking 117 oF tomorrow (that's 47 oC). In contrast, I have my garage set at 80 oF. This is not a weekend for riding.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657442 06/19/16 3:02 am
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
You must not be in Calif, congrats on the registration and plate..

However...if you even think the words 'Super tR...'(Hush My Mouth)(You Dint Hear This From Me) there will be a loud buzz and an evil blue light in your garage, the next morning a smoking hole where your GS was the evening before.

I have seen it happen...don't even think it!!

Boomer: haha..are you my father?..."I'm thinking you're wasting time before you can ride it."...busted.

You should give shop tours...(I have dreams of dusty vintage mc shops, how sad is that?...)

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657445 06/19/16 3:14 am
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Does anyone remember the GS that sat in the window of that San Pedro iconic BSA dealer for so long?

..last I saw of it was in the late 70s...up on the street above the Queen Mary and the Russian submarine and the ferry terminals..haha..IIRC

This bike reminds me of that one...not that I can remember the details exactly...but it sure looks like what remnant of memory I have of it. (It was a sunday, a sunny windy day, I had just almost drowned my little brother that I'd shanghaied into a sailboat race down below there in Windy Gulch, next to the coal piles....hmmm....cough.)

Someone from here must have seen it, and probably went in there every couple weeks to try to buy it, lol.
'I'll give you $1500 for it, right now!!!'

What a beauty...and in good hands.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership