BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
richardvarcoe
richardvarcoe
Fort Worth
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
DavidP 66
reverb 65
NickL 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,012,137 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,185
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
59 registered members (Adam M.), 377 guests, and 676 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Bodger] #657557 06/19/16 9:56 pm
P
pokie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Bodger,...Was that shop in San Pedro 'Century Motors'?....proprietor, Bill Cottom?

The fewer there are, the greater the value of each......particularly human beings.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657565 06/19/16 11:18 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
That would be Jim Hunter's shop.

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: pokie] #657569 06/19/16 11:47 pm
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
that sounds right, thanks pokie.

I went in there once and maundered around, big and sunny it was..I was but a tourist more or less.

did you know them then?

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657570 06/19/16 11:59 pm
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
yep, exactly right...bill passed in 1993, daughter Cindy a few years ago...and still in the family.

http://www.dealernews.com/dealernews/article/old-bikes-and-fresh-coffee-hanging-out-century-motorcycles?page=0,1

BSAs and Vincents and more...he , Wild Bill, started out selling bikes he had won in street races in 1936!

pretty interesting people!

Last edited by Bodger; 06/20/16 12:00 am.
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Bodger] #657599 06/20/16 5:58 am
P
pokie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Bodger,...Yes, quite an outpost of interesting bikes and good folks. Bill had his Black Lightning displayed when I was there. He sold me a complete, assembled Brampton fork unit for a price a young cycle-trash enthusiast could afford... because Bill was just a good guy. I still have a Century Motors dealer license plate frame on a bike. His passing was a loss to the sport.

The fewer there are, the greater the value of each......particularly human beings.
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #657700 06/20/16 7:23 pm
Boomer Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Here's the full story. I had it wrong but I think Jim Hunter may have worked there.

www.centurymotorcycles.net/our-history

Bill B...

Boomer
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Boomer] #657847 06/21/16 11:17 pm
P
pokie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
P
Boomer,..you're correct about Hunter being part of the Century shop... early '50s, methinks....until he opened his own shop. I don't know when that was, but I'll bet Feets knows.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #668066 09/18/16 5:13 pm
Magnetoman Online Content OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Well, finally, three months after I got it I took the Catalina out yesterday for its first ride (I hoped). Thanks to my DocZ rollers I got it running -- the rollers completely earned their keep yesterday -- but I couldn't get the engine above idle speed. It acted like it was much too rich, evidence for which I later found in the form of a blob of soot on the garage wall behind where it had been and dry soot in the silencer.

It has a Monobloc so getting the pilot jet out and finding it blocked with varnish only took a couple of minutes (I later checked my notes but found no mention of me having looked at the pilot jet earlier this summer). After I reinstalled the jet the engine definitely behaved less badly, but it still wasn't right. So, the bike went back into the garage, the carburetor came off (which first requires removing the air cleaner assembly because the inlet tube is too stiff; followed by loosening the central oil tank and pushing it at an angle so I could just barely get the carburetor off the studs), and apart for inspection of all the passages. I found nothing amiss, but I did replace the old all-plastic float needle with a Viton-tipped one and checked the float level after assembly.

I suspect the issue was a sticky float needle but I don't know. All I do know is today the bike fired up on the rollers with no sign of the problem I had with it yesterday, and I took it for its first ride (~2 miles). It hesitates coming on the throttle (less so when warmed up) so some fine tuning will be necessary. The slide has a 3 cutaway whereas the book value calls for a 4, but the air cleaner is still off, which affects the jetting, as does the silencer I added.

One problem with doing work over a period of weeks or months is things can slip through the cracks. My notes showed I measured the dia. of the needle jet and noted the size of the main jet (which, at 330 is one size larger than the book value of 320), but there is no mention of the pilot jet or float needle. Clearly, when working on the carburetor earlier this summer I must have thought I'll look at these things next time, but the next time I must have thought I had looked at them the previous time.

Another note is that without the rollers I simply wouldn't have been able to get the bike running at all yesterday. Even were I not now hospitalized with a broken leg/knee/hip, without the rollers I wouldn't have had a clue whether the reason was the magneto (which I have yet to rebuild) or the carburetor.

As for the Catalina itself, it looks just like the photos in the first post of this thread, except for a small Bates headlight, speedometer, silencer, and tail light/license bracket. After only a 2-mile ride, and even with the carburetion not fully sorted out, it became my new favorite bike.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #668931 09/25/16 11:54 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
The photograph shows the Catalina the day it arrived at my house in June, and as it appears today.

[Linked Image]

In case anyone else wants to convert a Catalina for use on the road, starting from the front the changes I made that are visible are:

- Heidenau K60 100/90-19.
- Bates headlight and mounting bracket.
- Chronometric speedometer and cable.
- Rear view mirror.
- Silencer(1).
- Heidenau K60 4.00-18.
- Tool kit(2) temporarily attached.
- Tail light/license plate assembly.

Changes that are not visible:

- A spare 8" backing plate is at Vintage Brake to have new shoes installed and arced to the measured ID of the drum.
- New front brake cable that doesn't stretch.
- 'Catalina' decal on top of tank (thanks Dan and Bill!).
- 6 V, 5 A-hr. pack of C-cell NiMH batteries and 3 A fuse is under the seat.
- Wiring.
- Stop light switch.
- LED lights. If all lights are on the battery pack will last ~8 hrs. before needing to be recharged.

(1) With the long Catalina exhaust pipe there is no mounting point on the frame to use for a silencer. Because of this, the silencer is held only by mating of the pipes. While this seems to be completely rigid, I oriented the silencer's clamp parallel to the rear mounting bracket and then safety wired the clamp to the bracket to eliminate the possibility of the silencer slowly slipping off.

(2) This10 lb. toolkit is a duplicate of the one that evolved from dealing with problems at the Irish Rally over the past ~15 years.

Last edited by Magnetoman; 09/26/16 11:22 am.
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669065 09/26/16 7:50 pm
H
hunter h Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
H
cheers to all On your Catalina how is the front of rear fender mounted with one clip up high and none lower as this is where the oil tank plate is welded to the cross tube. and is the rear of the fender cut or rolled. The one I have looks the same with the rear edge just a bit lower than the rear stay not like some that I have seen that are 3" longer but not as long as a clubman type?

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: hunter h] #669074 09/26/16 10:56 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by hunter h
On your Catalina how is the front of rear fender mounted with one clip up high and none lower as this is where the oil tank plate is welded to the cross tube. and is the rear of the fender cut or rolled. ...
My Catalina came to me from a guy who built bikes for his own enjoyment, not to win concours competitions. As an example, he put a Competition magneto on it instead of the Magdyno it came with. My concentration since it arrived in June has been to get it running and street legal so I haven't paid much attention to what might be "incorrect" on it. So, while I can tell you how my Catalina is configured, I can't (yet) tell you what deviates from as-manufactured.

To answer your questions while keeping the above caution in mind, my Catalina's fender has both upper and lower clips holding it. When I looked at my Special Competition tonight it doesn't have the lower clip but I couldn't see why the lower one is missing (e.g. if the mount for its central oil tank is in the way, whereas the Catalina's isn't). Also, the rear edge of the Catalina's rear fender is cut, not rolled.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669144 09/27/16 2:22 pm
H
hunter h Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
H
cheers all thanks for the input it all helps . my bike was a clubman but was just a frame when I got it so why not have the bike type that like . some thing like you bike magnetoman .

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669184 09/27/16 6:44 pm
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
front Bates headlight is LED?

'new favorite bike'...yep!

Last edited by Bodger; 09/27/16 6:46 pm.
Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Bodger] #669193 09/27/16 8:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Bodger
front Bates headlight is LED?
Although I called it a 'Bates' I don't see any markings on it. However, it's been in the family for nearly 50 years, looks like the bottom-mount light in an old Bates catalog, and its mount (bolted to the bottom triple tree) also is in the old Bates catalog. So, there's a pretty good chance it was marketed by Bates back in the '60s.

The light had a sealed beam unit in it. I'm not completely happy with the reflector I've used to mount the LED bulb so I have something else on order. I'll post my final configuration once I have something I like. In any case, the current configuration is more than sufficient for present purposes since I don't plan any midnight rides. Until I get the jetting sorted out there won't be too many midday rides, either...

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669459 09/29/16 2:53 pm
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
ahh, I was hoping someone had come up with a useful and available LED headlight. I have seen tractor/offroad LED lamps in car parts places but haven't noticed them or bought one to try.

You mentioned hospital/leg issues, I hope I misread that but if not all better I hope?
... good you have rollers, these can be touchy to start, haha.

I remember mine taught me the right way by pinning my kneecap against the handlebar..no lasting damage, lesson learned, discipline enabled.

Bump starts looked cooler anyway..

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Bodger] #669464 09/29/16 3:14 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I was hoping someone had come up with a useful and available LED headlight.
I have enough other things competing for attention, and no plans for midnight rides, that finding an ideal LED/reflector for my Catalina has been pretty far down the to-do list. But, I hope to have a reasonable solution to post before too much longer.

You mentioned hospital/leg issues, I hope I misread that but if not all better I hope?
... good you have rollers, these can be touchy to start, haha.
Thankfully (for me) you misread my meaning. I credit my rollers for, thus far, keeping me from a trip to the hospital with a broken knee/leg.

Another very useful feature of rollers is they let you get the oil flowing in a bike whose engine was rebuilt or that sat for a long time. With my Catalina I ran the rollers for some seconds (15?) with the compression release pulled in and confirmed oil was being pumped before I then tried to start it.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669533 09/30/16 2:41 am
D
David Cass1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/2-X-80W-White-H4-9003-HB2-Cree-LED-Fog-Light-Bulb-1500LM-High-Low-Beam-Headlight-/391413190348?hash=item5b220b4ecc:g:uBQAAOSwxcRW8o83

http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/H4-3-Pin-Headlight-Replacement-Repair-Bulb-Holder-Connector-Plug-Wire-Socket-/351349102473?hash=item51ce09d789:g:UdwAAOSwMgdXzZcd

http://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORBIKE-MOTOR-CYCLE-CRYSTAL-7-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-E-MARKED-H4-Z1771-/331437426522?hash=item4d2b35c75a:g:MOoAAOxyzHxROgzS

Item 1 is an LED head light bulb

Item 2 is a universal bulb older c/w small loom

Item 3 is a universal head light c/w H4 holder and lamp- these are usually plastic bodied and can be cut using a dremel or similar around the bulb holder which can then be glued to your original head lamp back- using a glue which is removable later, does not impair or butcher the original light - which can be reinstated to conventional bulb later if needed

David C
Ireland

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: David Cass1] #669534 09/30/16 2:47 am
D
David Cass1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
[img][IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj548/Davidcasserly/ZB32%20002_zpsj8jjysdy.jpg[/img][/img]

ZB32 headlight c/w underslung LED and main LED headlight bulb
Original lens and reflector used- H4 holder glued to back of reflector

Requires charge of fire alarm type batteries 3 times per year for approx 1200 miles of use.

Rear lamp, brake light also in LED- horn is conventional

David C

Ireland

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669577 09/30/16 1:42 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by David Cass1
Original lens and reflector used ...
David, thanks for posting this information. But, while it's reasonably easy to assemble something that illuminates the road, the issue of reflectors and bulbs for a good beam profile is actually fairly complicated.

The "parabolic-like" reflectors Lucas gave us are designed such that the two filaments of a British Pre-Focus (BPF) incandescent bulb are in the correct fore/aft positions to project a wide pattern offset to the left/right (depending on which market it was made for) for the low beam filament, and a longer narrower beam for the high beam filament. Importantly, a reflector designed for a car, or a "universal" reflector, are unlikely to give a beam pattern that is appropriate for a motorcycle.

If the incandescent bulb in a Lucas reflector is replaced with either an LED or a halogen, and if the light emitting elements of that bulb are located in the same positions inside the reflector as the original BPF incandescent bulb, the pattern will be the same as originally intended by the manufacturer. Like you, I use the original 7" reflector in my Special Competition and have substituted the bulb with a BPF LED whose properties are described in another thread. However, as I wrote in that thread, I have yet to test the pattern at night to know if the low/high LEDs are positioned such that they provide the same beam patterns as the original bulbs.

My Catalina has the additional complication that the 5-3/4" Bates headlamp I put on it came with a sealed beam unit. So, I have to find a reflector that fits in the shell and that has the proper beam pattern for a motorcycle when fitted with an LED. My first attempt at finding a reflector failed because it didn't fit properly in the shell, so I'm awaiting arrival of one that I hope will fit. Even if it does fit, whether it provides the right beam pattern remains to be seen. Again, unless someone gets lucky, they can't simply use a random reflector with a random LED and hope to have a good beam pattern for fast night riding.

Once I get this sorted out for my 5-3/4" Bates I'll post what I found. Meanwhile, my LED solution -- with as-yet untested beam pattern -- for a 7" Lucas reflector is here.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #669849 10/03/16 4:01 am
D
David Cass1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Yep- you're totally correct- my system is for being seen and not for lighting the road at night.

I generally use the under slung small LED and rear light for day time (1st position on the head lamp switch) and a secondary brake light for day time (Photo attached).

At dusk or in rain I use the 2nd switch position - which operates the main head light LE [img][IMG]http://i1267.photobucket.com/a...like%20the%20light_zpscz4uwwwd.jpg[/img][/img] D

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: David Cass1] #669850 10/03/16 4:05 am
D
David Cass1 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
sorry - seems that the photo did not load- will try this one

[Linked Image]

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #670072 10/05/16 3:59 am
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
thanks Mman and David, interesting ideas, well done.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #674414 11/14/16 10:34 am
jawthree Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Magnetoman,

I have a similar bike, a Catalina that was rebuilt for the road. One of my last jobs is to get the light working and the brake light working. Do you a part numbers for the battery pack, the brake switch, and the leds you used? I would rather copy something that works.

Thank you.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: jawthree] #674418 11/14/16 11:17 am
BritBike Forum member
OP Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by jawthree
Do you a part numbers for the battery pack, the brake switch, and the leds you used?
You'll find answers to two of the three questions at:

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=658820#Post658820

The brake switch came from a stock of parts I already have so I can't recommend a source for it.

Re: 1962 Catalina [Re: Magnetoman] #674549 11/15/16 5:27 pm
B
Bodger Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
I haven't searched online for them, but in some Harley/chopper magazine I saw a full page advert for LED headlights, one with grill, one w/o.
I never thought the Bates were the best looking but certainly small and ready to go for 'dirt bikes' being put on the road.

These had that genetic aesthetic, the chopper/cafe movement has produced some great stuff, much better today than the Webco catalog we were mostly limited to 'back in the day.'
(The Eddie Dow catalog was more of a religious document...sorta Factory Plus.)

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Rich B 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership