BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
thirdtriumph
thirdtriumph
Canada
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Grand Adventure under way
#654384 05/26/16 3:26 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
It's official. 5 island motorcycle enthusiasts have placed their prized rides on the barge in transit to Portland Oregon. The street tracker I've been working on is among them. It carries Boomer's timing cover...thanks Bill.

Yesterday, Henry, the owner of the '67 Triumph street tracker came by to pick up some parts that just came in. (a LED headlight in a 5 3/4 inch Lucas shell) to be mounted in Portland before they leave, and a new set of petcocks.

For my efforts, Henry had his daughter pick up some Coco Puffs on Oahu. They're not available here and it's been ten years since I had them. I was watching Hawaii Five O the other day and they talked about them on that show and reminded me how ono these things are.

[Linked Image]

Now, I'm pre-diabetic and don't need the extra sugar, but, I'm going to break with my diet for these puppies.

They're basically cream puffs with a mousse or pudding inside and something on top.....whatever it is, it's very sweet.

One a day.....maybe two....

I'm putting these guys in touch with Boomer. No doubt, the amount of expertise he has is more that all 5 guys put together, plus he knows the area and can point them in the right direction for some fun, I am sure. The ride will end in Colorado....about 1500 miles total.

I know Kealii (the ringleader of this motley crew) is taking a Harley panhead, but the rest of the bikes, I don't know what they are. In the spirit of this adventure, I'm sure they are all vintage rides.

I've done my best to make the street tracker ready for a long trip, but in reality, this isn't the best choice for cross country riding....I geared it up....put a Pazon on it for reliability, we got rid of the off road tires and having the LED headlight on it should help keep the battery well charged. All I could fit on it was a 3 amp hour scooter battery, but it should be OK.

The Pazon transformed the performance of this bike dramatically. It makes more power everywhere compared with the ARD CDI unit that was on it, especially on the top end. It really flies now. I only rode it once as I couldn't keep my hand out of the throttle and was constantly outrunning the brakes....yeah, I scared myself a couple of times.

Henry is more conservative than I am, which is a good thing. He'll do fine I think. I just hope the bike holds up for the trip.

They're planning to run 300-350 miles a day which I think is way too much on old iron and older bodies. 200 is more like it. That way they'll have time to enjoy themselves.

Hopefully I'll get some reports on the way of this grand adventure.

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 05/26/16 3:30 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
1957 Thunderbird/T110 "Black Tiger"
Antique Fans: Loads of Emersons (Two six wingers) plus gyros and orbiters.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Grand Adventure under way
HawaiianTiger #654399 05/26/16 4:03 pm
Born To Run
Born To Run
Sounds like an epic journey, to be sure, Bill. Hopefully you'll have some pics and tales to share here....

p.s. - can you get those coco puffs over the inter-web?? :bigt

Cheers,

Steve

'77 T140J
"Vintage Bike". What's in your garage?

"The paying customer is always right."

Fitting round pegs into square holes since 1961...
HawaiianTiger #654403 05/26/16 4:12 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Now it just so happens that (if you peruse the TSMR journals for this year) that our own Semper Gumby was lusting strongly for a 5-3/4" LED headlight for his Firebird Scrambler, but had not found one even thought the 7" version was available and had just been installed on his Thunderbolt, resulting in a retina-burning massive light output on a bike not known for its visibility.

Whenever you guys stop and take a break, can you tell us where it was sourced?

Happy riding!

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
HawaiianTiger #654423 05/26/16 6:05 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Here. I get them from Banggood in China.

[Linked Image]

http://www.banggood.com/5_75inch-60...ycle-Headlight-For-Harley-p-1027814.html

The bike was already equipped with the three pronged plug for sealed beam. Case is floating so the light can be hooked up to positive or negative ground. It is primarily intended for daytime lights on running, not night riding except for occasional use as there is only one beam in use.

Not remotely vintage looking, but vintage look available with a little searching using the bulb type with reflector.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Try searching Liliha's Bakery in Honolulu, or send them a message via email info@lilihabakery.com

B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 05/26/16 6:09 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
HawaiianTiger #654502 05/27/16 11:04 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Best of luck to the riders.

Coco puffs...oooooooh...something I missed in my week on Oahu. Doesn't appear that they ship stuff but here's their website.
http://www.lilihabakeryhawaii.com/

Al Eckstadt
HawaiianTiger #654538 05/27/16 5:33 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
I would LOVE to see pix of these guys' road trip! Don't suppose it'll happen but I'd love to see it if it did.
Cocoa puffs look damn good!

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

ricochetrider #654542 05/27/16 5:45 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I'll try to get the route so that maybe if anyone here is along that way they can show some aloha to these guys, if they need it.

Can't imagine that there's not going to be any problems with these old bikes. They did try, but fell short of full preparation before loading them on the barge.

Kealii just fired up his panhead and didn't really get a chance to ride it before the deadline. He's arriving ten days before anyone else and will try to sort out any problems in Portland before setting off.

I will try to get Henry to take pictures, and lots of them, along the way.

Cheers,

Bill

PS Kealii owns a '55 T110 chopper with 750 kit that is the fastest Triumph on these islands, at least in my opinion. I built the motor....It's a rigid frame bike and very temperamental...not a good choice for a long distance ride.
B.

Last edited by HawaiianTiger; 05/27/16 5:47 pm.

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
HawaiianTiger #654588 05/28/16 8:30 am
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Bill, what seem like the worst choices sometimes end up coming out OK in the end. By way of example, Round The World Doug, a guy I know from ADVrider and f-ace book, just bought an old Indian. The bike was in Washington State, Doug lives in Alabama. He flew out there and rode the bike home. It hadn't been run in decades. In 3300 miles, he burned a little oil, and I think his license plate bracket came apart. This happened within the past couple weeks.

That's just one of many stories this guy has of riding old bikes LONG distances- he didn't get his name "Round The World Doug" via happenstance.

SO...
folks do tend to make out alright. Hope these boys get where they're going without too much trouble, then again- it IS an *adventure*. grin

Tom

ricochetrider #654611 05/28/16 10:59 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider
Bill, what seem like the worst choices sometimes end up coming out OK in the end. By way of example, Round The World Doug, a guy I know from ADVrider and f-ace book, just bought an old Indian. The bike was in Washington State, Doug lives in Alabama. He flew out there and rode the bike home. It hadn't been run in decades. In 3300 miles, he burned a little oil, and I think his license plate bracket came apart. This happened within the past couple weeks.

That's just one of many stories this guy has of riding old bikes LONG distances- he didn't get his name "Round The World Doug" via happenstance.

Tom

Must be "Guzzidoug" Wothke - he's been round the world several times on the oddest old bikes, including old loopframe Guzzis, Indians, a Sportster chopper (I think). Not sure how he funds his travels now, but at one time he was at all the swap meets including MidOhio and OVBSAOC selling bikes and parts to make some money. I've bought quite a few things from him, as he is quite the character .....

Lannis

Lannis #654648 05/28/16 5:11 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
Must be "Guzzidoug" Wothke - he's been round the world several times on the oddest old bikes, including old loopframe Guzzis, Indians, a Sportster chopper (I think). Not sure how he funds his travels now, but at one time he was at all the swap meets including MidOhio and OVBSAOC selling the same bikes and parts to more than one person to make some money. I've bought quite a few things from him, as he is quite the character .....

Lannis

Fixed that for ya

Shane in Oz #654655 05/28/16 8:01 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Shane in Oz
Must be "Guzzidoug" Wothke - he's been round the world several times on the oddest old bikes, including old loopframe Guzzis, Indians, a Sportster chopper (I think). Not sure how he funds his travels now, but at one time he was at all the swap meets including MidOhio and OVBSAOC selling the same bikes and parts to more than one person to make some money. I've bought quite a few things from him, as he is quite the character .....

Lannis

Fixed that for ya

Uh oh. I can see another "Marshall Hagy" situation developing!

As far as I know, I didn't get taken so he's been all right by me ....

Lannis

HawaiianTiger #661809 07/25/16 7:42 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
I'm happy to report the guys are back from their adventure and everyone and all the bikes survived. I don't have many details yet, but I'm hearing tales of 80-85mph speed averages and a climb to the top of Pikes Peak.

Henry promises to stop by with some more Cocopuffs for an afternoon of "talk story".

I hope to get some pics, too.

Cheers,

Bill

Bikes
1974 Commando
1985 Honda Nighthawk 650
Lannis #661996 07/27/16 3:56 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Must be "Guzzidoug" Wothke - .....

Lannis

I remember him from Britiron-L. "I would club a seal to make a deal." or something like that, was his sig line.

Ed
1970 Bonneville
HawaiianTiger #662006 07/27/16 5:31 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Bill,
Sure wish these guys had computer skills enough to to blog, have a Facebook page, or to make a thread with photos where we could see and read tales of their journey!
A trip like this on vintage iron, and no pix, no stories, no blog? frown

HawaiianTiger #662039 07/28/16 2:15 am
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If you want a great story of old bikes and older bikers I strongly recommend this.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Hurrah-Beijing-Arnhem-2005/dp/0954791258

There is a video as well which really shows how tough it got at times for 70 + bodies.

Des is a friend of mine and he is the real deal. He has an amazing ability to make a worn out bike run another 1000 km further than seems humanly possible !!!!!!! There are a couple of interviews on you tube as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxiJRolmDZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GDu0MfnWU8

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership