Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Myles Raymond
Myles Raymond
Glasgow, Scotland
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well it did it's job through a very wet and dark winter and then needed attention and let me know. The 441 did 10 000 kms commuting over 6 months in city traffic 5 days a week with 3 days down for brake shoes and wiring upgrade to leds.
It starts with a gel cell at 9v and generates enough juice to low idle with halogen at 45w. Stock Lucase diode and zenor plus 2mc cap.
With that said when I replaced the layshaft and shift forks 6 months ago I replaced the destroyed torrington bearing in kicker which caused serious issues with shifting in general and bent shifter shaft and forks. I did not want to replace the drive side torrington as it looked ok but I forgot it too had 80k or so on it in miles and may give out. A month back when rear wheel bearing gave out I heard a whirring noise as I slowed down after highway run. I thought it was the wheel but it was the torrington on drive side letting it's bearings loose into the case. No mag plug can hold that much steel believe me it becomes paste with little damage to gear teeth surprisingly LOL!. So I knew when I found a half a roller on drain plug it was serious stuff. I quickly ordered 2 torringtons from Peter at unit singles and planned the strip down over a few sleeps. When I knew the bearings were close I pulled the gearbox out to discover I would not need a special tool to pull out the old bearing the shell was just a simple peel out as the piston side edge had been thinned by pressure of still shifting perfect layshaft end. Unreal machines they will get you home it was a matter of 100kms till the case would have needed some neat fixing.
I got a new layshaft in after carefully pressing tapping in the new bearing with delrin guide. As I put the clutch together it was not freeing up and I was stumped but turned the hub around and the thrust washer was squished and offsett at the back so those need checking at 20 000kms I would say.
All in all it is sealed kicking first time if I concentrate and don't slot machine it too death.
The 441 when in order is a fine reliable machine, you just have to listen too them and get them help if needed.
S

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice work Steve. It's admirable the amount of miles you put on this little single.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
The nice thing I enjoy it and after 30+ years I think I know not to bodge too much and buy new points once every 3-4 years LOL! Ran great today may be a bit advanced but solid shifting and the gearbox has almost found the perfect oil level via my mainshaft. That seal is next with new sprockets and chain before July.
Got the bike at end of flight today as well, I wish my BSA had PID controllers I could tune! LOL! :o)

This is what I see through diy antennas for video in my goggles, tuned for freq' circular polarized signals at 5.8ghz analog no latency no wifi it is dangerous for rc stuff. Don't buy rc wifi stuff,

S
I drained the straight no detergent oil and put in 20/50 Pennzoil to flush the system then will go to Quaker state 40wt for summer with detergent.

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com