Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Vetterdog
Vetterdog
Central NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#649547 04/21/16 7:19 am
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Just wondering ..
On the grey gasket material that is around these days (eg. Triumph rocker box gaskets) ..
Do we use any sealant ,or put them on dry ?
I used to smear gaskets with grease before fitting back in the day..
What's the school of thought these days ? ..

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I always thought the Triumph rocker box gaskets were supposed to be installed dry. Something about avoiding the gasket shifting around or squeezing out of place during torquing and use.

DOPE
DOPE
i grease mine. they've never leaked, but maybe it was because the oil always went out the pushrod tube seals before it got to them . . .

lol

i'm old enough to remember when patriotism meant not trying to overthrow the government.
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Don't know about that particular gasket, but I use grease only and save the goop for last resort. Alternatively, those new gasket substitute products, Loctite, etc., are mighty interesting.

C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
I install mine dry and the pushrod tube seals leak!!

C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
There's always dramas around the pushrod tube area leaking oil it seems..
The heads' off my bike now because the 'wedding band' ring that goes over the square section O'ring that sits on the exhaust cam follower block came off and worked its way up the tube an inch or so .. allowing the O ring to herniate..the result is an Oil leak .. :-( ..

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
The RB gaskets that are "sandwiched"(gasket/thin aluminum/gasket) I have always installed dry. I grease the primary, outer GB and timing cover gaskets. I use a thin layer of permatex gasket maker #2 "goo" on the inner GB gasket and PRT seals. So far no leaks.

1955 BSA Bantam D1 Plunger
1956 BSA A10RR Street and LSR Bike
1961 BSA C15S
1966 BSA spitfire
1969 Triumph T100C
1970 Triumph TR6R
1970 Triumph TR6C
1972 BSA Lightning LSR Bike
1974 Triumph T150V
C
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
C
Having a close look at the head, I've found that the rocker box gaskets (the grey ones) that I used about a year ago are really brittle and crumble when touched... I used Loctite Aviation Gasket #3 on them..
Maybe I'll just try grease this time around .

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
One good reason not to cement the rocker box gaskets: If you plan on ever tearing it down again, clean-up is a royal PITA.

Grease? Maybe, I haven't tried that. Seems like there's a lot of heat there, not sure what that would do to the grease. I went dry on the last two Triumphs I put together.

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I tried a thin layer of axle bearing grease on all the gaskets last rebuild. Had to take off the primary cover for timing and found the gasket unable to be used again. The grease had softened it up so it broke around the mounting holes.
Upon filling the GB, I also found the outer GB cover gasket had herniated inward between two bottom holes.
I used Permatex 'Form-a-gasket' without a paper gasket to address both issues, and so far the goop is holding the juices in.
As Mr. Whatley once said, avoid using silicone as little globs can break off and circulate through the motor, possibly plugging up small oil passages.
shocked

Last edited by Tom D. 67 Bonny; 04/25/16 10:30 am.

Tom D. 1967 T120R Bonneville
Anyone know of a place that sells Loctite
by the quart?
C
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
C
The only gasket sealant I use is Yamabond 4, but only on the chaincase gaskets on my BSA M20 and C12 with the large pressed steel chaincases.

On the rocker box gaskets for the Triumph I try to use the wire reinforced type and have had good luck with those.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
As far as being difficult to clean (cement off from), I was speaking specifically of Triumph rocker box-to-head gaskets.

For things like rocker box covers, primary cover, sump plates, where sealing oil is the only criterion, I make my own gaskets from rubber-fiber compound, and cement them just to the covers. Then the covers can be easily removed and remounted many times without disturbing or replacing the gaskets. I've used Permatex, Yamabond, Honda Liquid Gasket Cement, and most recently, Three-Bond.

Another downside to silicone, as I found out the hard way, is that petrol dissolves it. I used it on a primary cover gasket once, had a carburetor leak, and the fuel ate its way into the primary, unbeknownst to me until the clutch started to act "funny".

Mark Z

'65(lower)/'66(upper, wheels, front end, controls)/'67(seat, exhaust, fuel tank, headlamp)/'70(frame) A65 Bitsa.
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I make my own gaskets from rubber-fiber compound, and cement them just to the covers.

Sounds like a very good idea. Could you tell us how you do this, or is there a patent pending?
After refixing the gasketted part, how is the clean up? Let it cure and trim with a razor knife?

by the quart?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Tom D. 67 Bonny
Originally Posted by Mark Z
I make my own gaskets from rubber-fiber compound, and cement them just to the covers.

Sounds like a very good idea. Could you tell us how you do this, or is there a patent pending?
After refixing the gasketted part, how is the clean up? Let it cure and trim with a razor knife?

Do you mean, how do I make the gaskets? I either trace around the parts or use an old gasket for a template. I cut with scissors and an X-acto knife, and the holes are made with hollow punches. The rubber-fiber compound I spoke of is available by the roll at Napa. Yes, I trim excess gasket material with a razor knife after attaching the cover (where it shows), but I find I have to do that with manufactured gaskets as well.

Mark Z

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
:bigt

by the quart?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I goo and gasket the bike is worth the effort and my boss rides a non-leaking sci-fi Bond bmw that knows not to drip.
LOL! grey permatex the gasket on 1 side case side best let it half harden then apply your lapped outer case with or without a shine of grease.
Other silicones work but letting them skin and being careful on the skim coat you use a tube should last years. Brass pot scrubbies work good for removing old silcone light heating/burning makes it easy with a brillo pad.
S

Last edited by 441/R3cafeSteve; 04/28/16 1:15 am.

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com