Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Well since getting new points and carb on I have done about 2300kms in commuting to work and rc flying. Total in 5 months get this 9250kms and only 1 breakdown when my points and carb finally gave out. Now today after a 110kmhr highway commute I got to the local coffee shop and heard a whirring noise like straight cut gears in a turbo. I was worried but transmission felt fine maybe a bit hot from 40km straight 3/4 throttle but no I move to check rear wheel and..... it wiggles side to side more than 1/8" on the qd side which is fully tightened down on axle. I know because I broke a Craftsman screw driver in the axele hole on bolt head! LOL! Impressed the local hoods at coffee shop when it snapped, :o)
So I get the 5 blocks home from coffee and examine the rear wheel. The bearings on the qd tooth side was blown out wiggling like crazy not good at all perhaps the saddle cases weight was the final straw as the wheel was tight last time I put it on 7000kms ago. It stresses the importance to pull over if you think something is amiss and scope out the whole bike. After really extended stressed trips is also a good time to check nuts. It may be running like a honda but it is still a BSA and needs service. I took the spare rear wheel I bought for the 250 project which had good bearings and was back riding after tire swap in 4hrs.
I found a pair of Triumph adventurer armoured pants as well almost new for $25. 3 weeks ago and have not taken them off yet and can say they really made the riding gear well. I have been helping a guy with a triple's valves this week and I can say I have never seen such tiny bits. His Adventurer Triumph has been less than a good time mechanical widse but the pants whoo hoooo the rock especially for $25. Thank god for high pipes because the 1cm burn near calf I patched reduced them from $50. and well that's too much to be a billdboard for Triumph on a BSA. LOL! Bike is idling with halogen, leds and even if the battery at stand still is 9.5v!!!! I am reading 11.7v at slow idle which it does and at 2-3ooorpm about 12.8v. I noticed too on highway at higher than cruise speed oil pressure was about 3psi.
80% of the 9000+ kms has been at night and in rain. Getting pretty solid in rain and have good idea of traction though the avon am22 is done and I need a new one.
Steve
Will need to do rear bearing replacement now and get back to 250 project but I dumped a bit more cash at start I need to recharge and have been nose to the grindstone at work. Caught 2 r=thieves stealing bikes at a condo so have a bit of job security LOL! for a little bit. It was a real story and some thief needs to find new tools and bolt cutters I'll leave it at that. triumphs and a BMW. LOL!

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Incredible self control, wearing the same breeks for three weeks!.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com