Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Roadwarrior
Roadwarrior
Nor Cal near Sutters mill.
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
It seems the new Futaba points I bought had a bent point arm post. The one that the nylon foot pivots on. It was ok at rest but bent down so as the speed increased it would ride out on the post distorting the alignment to the point LOL! edges were only skimmed of point surface and caught up the night it quit. I re-hooked up the Lucas rectifrier and his is it's output which is highter than the common diode box replacement I have on board as well. Halogen 45w low beam in clip.

Were on our way to spring and the crazy cold and wet rides will turn to springtime runs in the canyons of the Fraser.
Steve

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
that sounds a lot healthier Steve , more steady no 8 stroking. i wonder how the pivot got bent?

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I do too, failed without me getting near it so I think deflection after 3500km's may have pushed it >mm to act as a ramp. The 3.7v led's are holding up great too and I have been through some streaming wet down pours on way home a few times. I put fabric backed rubber flaps over all wiring and under seat and that has helped. I think the Lucas ignition switch is going but have a couple of good spares that the current key fits. LOL!
This carb was fresh off a canabalized bsa 441 on the auction syndicate site and my stock 930 with over 100k on it has a very bad bore and that is why any lifting of slide exposed the gap of loose slide causing it to bog and run very rich. I have a new KLG FE70 in there and a small exhaust leak but it feels solid. Hope to get 15k kms out of it before next bore. I like that it sounds like some of my steam engines at low rpm now and it does not sound shaky, too loose or stressed. Real happy I have done some much needed service and checks, cheap transpo at $1.14/L gas rates which should be .45/L
S

L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Steve, IMHO its time for EI. It'll make starting a lot easier.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Steve.
I had a lot of troubles when running aftermarket points that had a nylon arm.
This is apparently a car part that just happens to be the same as a BSA part so gets sold as replacements.
The timing chest can get too hot which allows the nylon to soften so your points gap goes way out.
Find a set with a bakelite points arm it will work a lot better.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Lucas' change to nylon for the heel of the moving point was a wear-prone nuisance on British cars as well.

Bike racers used to remove the nylon rubbing heel from new 6CA points and fit the older tufnol heel, so they could get through a race with consistent points gap.

But a bent or flexing metal points pivot post is different, if that's what is happening. Can you bend it back into place?

Last edited by triton thrasher; 02/06/16 2:54 am.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I used Boyer for a few years but like to run without battery if need be and my alternator won't work well with the EI. The "new" used carb has fixed my richness issue as well so I should start saving on gas too now. My plug had no colour after 50km so I may go to an FE80 next. TT- I tapped the brass post from below towards the points and it got rid of the slop on the action.
S

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I think Dyno Dave has a page showing the various Boyer characteristics, the "Micro power" uses less juice than the "microdigital", maybe that would help? A lot less.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by gavin eisler
I think Dyno Dave has a page showing the various Boyer characteristics, the "Micro power" uses less juice than the "microdigital", maybe that would help? A lot less.

My Boyer Micro Power "racing type" had the quoted low current draw at normal riding rpm.

But but but! It drew several amps at idle and anything but full voltage and perfect circuitry drove it nuts.

Loudest backfires and most violent kickbacks I have ever experienced.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Ya and slipping tapers. I'll stick with points they seem to last me a while last set I forgot to replace for 5 years of riding, LOL!
S
Great 6am empty street ride home tonight, nice crisp +1c air.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Why would one wish to run without a battery?

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well if your battery fails with high resistance and leaves you stranded at midnight then being able to pull the fuse, kickstart the bike and ride home with full lighting is an advantage I have used and now will not do without.

A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
I would be more inclined to go for reliability and fit the electronic ignition, than stick with points and iffy bob weights on the off chance my battery will suddenly fail.
In 41 years of riding I have never has a sudden battery failure, usually the performance drops off gradually. On the other hand I have plenty points failures

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I always leave home with a working battery, just good to know I can get back without one.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
battery weight was a consideration at one time but I use $12. gel cell batts that are cheap and last only a year or two. In 165 work days of a 24km commute in traffic the BSA only stopped once and at night so eliminating battery allows better diagnosis as well as the bike does not require it to fire. I've left my switch on a few times and was saved by the 2Mc cap and rectifier.
Steve
-I have a zenor spare mounted as well and 2 condensors running. LOL!

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com