Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Vetterdog
Vetterdog
Central NJ
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#637204 01/26/16 4:35 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Getting ready to repaint a 1968 B44 Shooting Star. Question involves the mounting holes in the top of the tank. There is noticeable "slack" or wiggle-room around the two mounting holes at the top of the tank (where the bolts from the "top hat" vibration rubbers screw into the tank intself). Is this slack "normal" - there to help account for the 441 vibration - or should I set the mountings solidly into the top of the tank with some filler, such as JBWeld? There is some indication of seepage or weeping of oil from around these mountings. Thanks all for your advice. -O.G.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
L
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
L
Do you have a picture?

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Old grizz.
If it is not a big leak, I would let it go. Most of these bikes have traces of oil coming out everywhere. The holes in the rubbers are just from years of the tank hanging off the bolts and vibrating, If you can find something suitable to replace the rubbers go for it. Otherwise I just wrapped a little tape around the bolt to take up the slack.

Better breathing like on the B50 with a one way valve is effective in reducing seepage for the engine but would have no effect on the oil tank.

Mr Mike

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Here are some photos. The items in question are the two threaded fittings in the top of the tank.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Grizz,
Couldn't open your photos. Might be me and my Windows 10.
Mr Mike

Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Mr Mike
Grizz,
Couldn't open your photos. Might be me and my Windows 10.
Mr Mike

Me neither, iMac 10.6.3 and Chrome, so I don't think it's our computers ....

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I think its photobucket as the site was playing up late last week, or Old grizz has moved them to another folder.

Britbike forum member
Online Content
Britbike forum member
I use photo bucket, its working for me. no pics here though.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I'll try again. The photos came up OK yesterday when I did "preview" and "submit" - today when I checked, the photos were GONE from Photobucket. Ah me -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If the threaded inserts are loose in the fibreglass then you should dremel tool the surrounding epoxy away until it is dry materiel then apply epoxy or JB or both with some unbreakable thread wrapped around the outside of threaded insert. Then feather out the surface 2" and coat that level. That should hold a season or two while you wait for one of those $25. specials on eBay to come up when an unfortunate b44 b25 bike gets stripped.
S

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
P
Pat Offline
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Do the inserts come out? Could you replace them with nutserts [ threaded pop rivets]. They go into holes and when the rivet pliers are clamped, the insert squashes like a pop rivet and clamps tight. That with some epoxy should do a proper fix.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Steve -Thanks for the advice. This is kinda what I thought the repair should be. Since I am painting the tank, this should work well. I appreciate the feedback.

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Pat - I don't know how easily they will come out - I will try Steve's "dremel" advice, above. I am familiar with the threaded inserts you advise - in the aviation business, the most well-known brand name is "Riv-Nut", and I have used them sucessfully on aircraft in the past. I will hold your advice as "Plan B" - thanks for the response.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com