Classic British SparesKlempf British PartsBaxter CycleBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesSRM EngineeringLucas Classic MotorcycleHepolite PistonsIndustrial tec supply

Upgrade your membership to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Britbike forum logo
Member Spotlight
Mark Parker
Mark Parker
Bega NSW Australia
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
2 nights ago the 441 in heavy rain stopped about 4km from home on the way to the night shift. It seemed like gas since the headlight and electrics seemed ok when it conked out. Like a stuck valve I thought and called work I'd not be making it in. I began kicking and adjusting and swapping in plugs then felt the rectifier which was warm and a modern cheapo replacement. I put a hole in my boot then arch of foot got a quarter sized blister that broke off and took 2 days to get to near kicking ability. Needed that shift but got replacement thank god. The battery was crazy low as well which did not help giving me the impression twice after an hr or so of battery recovering it would run. 3-1/2 hrs later I got home put on spare carb new rectifier and dried everything off and it looks like it idles better and has no issues cutting out. Now after 5hrs starting and testing I'll ride it but be taking a few extra tools in the bag.
It was heavy rain that night too but one cannot leave a sick BSA behind!
S

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
LOL! made it home a good feeling, points on bike are early type with condensor on plate and I think moisture from heavy rain and or pressure from shallow chrome dished cover may have been shorting out points. A sticking inlet valve is my worse fear or a bent one that is rotating and sticking but compression and noise normal. oh ya new repair kit contents: Tin foil, few lengths of electrical solder wire, a lighter. If you twist the wires then wrap the solder around the wires, you can then put a piece of tin foil tight over joint and heat with lighter. The result should be a good solder joint made this way.
S
-It's the little things a GS guy said once.

The 441, most versatile BSA of the 60's
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Once my A10 BSA stopped during an extended high speed run because the petcocks vibrated shut because I did not know at the time that I needed to turn the plungers after pulling them open. What are the odds? A little embarrassing but if was 50 years ago when I was a teen. It was a lesson that I will never forget.

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE USE OF CAPS. I CAN ONLY TYPE WITH MY RIGHT HAND SO USING THE SHIFT KEY IS BEYOND MY CAPABILITES.

The Devil is in the details.

1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler (numbers matching, very correct, very nice condition)
1965 BSA A65 Lightning Rocket "Clubman" (restored)
1966 BSA A65 Spitfire MK-II (restored)
1967 BSA A65 West Coast Hornet (under restoration)
1975 Norton Commando Roadster (2100 miles)
2001 Kawasaki W650
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
My T20 cub used to stop in the rain,
I made a rubber gasket for the points cover, it still stopped in the rain.
I changed the HT lead and fitted a rubber cap, it still stopped in the rain.
I made a cover for the top of the coil from an old inner tube, It would run forever in a monsoon

A friend of mine had a Kawasaki S2 250 triple, He did the same mod and it no longer cut out on the middle cylinder in the rain

BSA B31 500 "Stargazer"
Greeves 200 "Blue Meanie"
Greeves 350
Greeves 360
Suzuki GSX1100 EFE "Sorcerers Apprentice"
GM500 sprint/LSR bike "Deofol"
Jawa 500 "Llareggub"
Aprilia RSV Mille "Lo Stregone"
'35 & '36 OK Supreme
Kawasaki ZZR1400 "Kuro no senshi"
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
When rally cross was big ( scrambles for cars ) BMC had problems with the minni's dizzy shorting out.
Despite BMC selling a very expensive waerproof cover, the competion support team sent Greham a box of rubber surgical gloves size extra small.

Bike Beesa
Trevor
P
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
P
Just had one of those days. Bike 1956 A7 just done some work on it new magneto bearings and cure leak from gearbox. Bike started okay but suddenly stopped dead could not restart so checked the usual plugs etc. Decided to check the pilot jet awkward to get at with the drip tray in the way but did manage to get it out, anyway it was not blocked but when I tried to screw it back in I dropped it, slid down the drip tray hit the gearbox cover and I mistakenly assumed it was underneath the bike. Could not find it anywhere,so where could it have gone.

Now I have the fully enclosed chaincase and came to the conclusion that maybe it went into the front section,there was just enough room between the chain and the case. Had visions of having to dismantle entire primary side to get to front section,so took off the bottom section and with a torch sure enough there was the pilot jet stuck in some grease in the front section. Tried sticking a blob grease onto a piece of 1/4 round bar but only succeeded in making things worse.

Then remembered some where in the garage I have one of those long flexible tools which when you press the end out pops a claw at the other end and is used for retrieving things from awkward places, I could just get it past the footrest and into the front section under the chain and that is where the good luck came in and I retrieved the jet first go.

These things only happen once but next time I have take out the pilot jet I will put a bit cloth under so that if I drop it again it will not go in any awkward place . The reason for cutting out suddenly was somehow the points gap had closed up down to only about 3 thou instead of 12 but was still getting a spark at the plugs.

M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Steve,
BSA's, unlike modern machines, do not do well in rain. You'd think originating in England they would have addressed that long ago. One time I was riding my B50 home in a lot of rain. It never quit on me but when I got home I parked it for a few weeks and when I went out to start it would not start at all. Doing the normal things like changing plugs did not fix it. When I got into it, there was water in the carb and standing water in the points compartment, both of which contributed to the no start.
One night back in the sixties my 68 Starfire quit on a rainy night and no amount of kicking would get it started. Had to leave the bike, get a ride home and come back for the bike. Interesting I rode that 250 for two years almost every day and that was the only time it let me down.

Mr Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike; 01/31/16 12:22 pm.

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Job CycleBritish Cycle SupplyMorries PlaceKlempf British PartsPodtronicVintage MagazineBSA Unit SinglesBritBike SponsorBritish Tools & FastenersBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor

© 1996-2021 britbike.com