BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
richardvarcoe
richardvarcoe
Fort Worth
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 169
DavidP 66
reverb 65
NickL 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,012,137 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,185
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (AML), 376 guests, and 673 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
New BSA owner with a couple questions #635826 01/19/16 10:38 am
G
garbln Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
About a month ago I acquired a 64 BSA Lightning. It's in fairly good shape with supposedly only 3000 original miles. There are a couple things that puzzle me about it. One is the fact it has no side stand and no provision for mounting one anyplace on the frame. This seems odd to me, is it odd to any of you? Two what is the significance of the little round tag screwed to the top of the case above where the kick start is with the numbers 7 and 10 stamped in it?

Thanks in advance, Gary

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635833 01/19/16 10:57 am
M
Mike Stillwell Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
Pictures would help.

Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635834 01/19/16 11:15 am
R
Rich B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Likely the side stand lug is broken off, a consequence of kick starting on the side stand.

The disc is the speedo gears installed in the trans.

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635835 01/19/16 11:27 am
KC in S.B. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
If you are looking at the frame below the forward part of the left engine case, there should be some evidence is was there at one point. If not: count yourself still lucky that when it broke off, it didn't tear out a chunk of the frame tube as many have done! That gets to be a real challenge to repair. See? Still good news! How about posting the engine and frame numbers here? We always like to figure out what the bike is,... Or at least started out as. 3,000mi seems awfully low, but possible I guess. More likely the speedo was replaced. How is the overall condition of the bike? If you can post a photo or two that would be good. Have you had other Brit bikes? Good luck, and welcome to the Board!

Last edited by KC in S.B.; 01/19/16 11:29 am.

Down to 1 BSA, 2 Triumphs, 1 '56 Chevy
1 '65 XLCH on the way to Japan!
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635838 01/19/16 11:46 am
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by garbln
About a month ago I acquired a 64 BSA Lightning. It's in fairly good shape with supposedly only 3000 original miles. There are a couple things that puzzle me about it. One is the fact it has no side stand and no provision for mounting one anyplace on the frame. This seems odd to me, is it odd to any of you? Two what is the significance of the little round tag screwed to the top of the case above where the kick start is with the numbers 7 and 10 stamped in it?

Thanks in advance, Gary

There was a side-stand lug there once.

It was "furnace-brazed" onto the frame at the same time that all the OTHER frame lugs and tube joins were made. All the frame tubes and lugs were jigged up together on an alignment jig, braze metal and flux was applied to the joints, and the whole assembly was put in a furnace to braze it all together.

Problem is, when the sidestand lug braze breaks loose, there's no good way to braze it back effectively. And it can't be welded, because the joint is contaminated with brass.

That happened on my '69 A65. The sidestand lug was just rotating on the frame tube. They break even if you don't kickstart it on the sidestand (which I never did).

After taking much advice, my solution is:

1) Take the engine out of the frame (there's no room to work otherwise).

2) Use a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to cut the cast sidestand lug off of the frame. Two careful cuts and it falls off (yours is already gone).

3) Folks sell weld-repair sidestand lugs for BSA and Triumph on eBay and other places - you can Google them. They need a bit of handwork to fit but when the frame is cleaned of all of the traces of brazing, they can be welded to the frame tube.

I'm in the middle of the process. I'll take pictures once it's back together ....

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635852 01/19/16 1:40 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Is everybody absolutely sure that these were originally fitted with a side stand?
I raise this point because the very early A50s/A65s had a lot of features carried over from the A7s/A10s and to the best of my knowledge the A7s/A10s were fitted as standard with a center stand but no side stand.
HTH

Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: Tridentman] #635853 01/19/16 1:46 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Tridentman
Is everybody absolutely sure that these were originally fitted with a side stand?
I raise this point because the very early A50s/A65s had a lot of features carried over from the A7s/A10s and to the best of my knowledge the A7s/A10s were fitted as standard with a center stand but no side stand.
HTH

Every A10 I've seen has the sidestand "half lug", which has threaded holes to mate up with a matching lug on the sidestand. I just bought a sidestand to mate up with the one on my 61 A10.

But maybe I'm just lucky there.

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: Lannis] #635930 01/19/16 7:16 pm
G
garbln Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
G
The engine number is A65D1385 frame is A50B2416

The story I got from the last owner was that it was in a minor accident shortly after it was sold new. The headlight front fender and maybe even the triple tree were replaced quickly to get it on the road again. The headlight shell is not correct as it has only the speedo in it. But it seems nobody finished putting it back together. A friend of mine bought it in the 70's and the title said 2700 mi then and he started it, rode it a little, then started to correct the problems. He lost interest early on and its been in his garage since. Ive known about it for many years, and he finally sold it to me with most of the parts to get it right.

I'll try to get some photos posted.

Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635935 01/19/16 7:35 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
yo, garbin.

welcome to the forum.

you've got a bsa, which is good, because there are no crazier fanatics than bsa fanatics.

put up pictures, and they will volunteer hours of analysis to help you figure your bike out.

when things slow down, put up another picture. they can't help themselves.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: New BSA owner with a couple questions [Re: garbln] #635945 01/19/16 8:19 pm
R
Rich B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
S/N makes it a Lightning Rocket. Dual carb, droop top yokes, dual clocks mounted on the yoke. A headlight bucket with a speedo is a Thunderbolt Rocket (among others) and is somewhat rare. As is the correct bucket with no clock in it.

Front fender is a std 6 tab.

Post some pics, LR's were built with a surprising amount of variation for a 2 year model. I would be interested in seeing how this one is trimmed if it is reasonably intact.

There ya go kevin.......I already confirmed your analysis of BSA owners...... laugh

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership