BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Vetterdog
Vetterdog
Central NJ
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
triumph 650 long term storage
#632353 12/29/15 1:32 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I have a 1969tr6c with about 45 minutes on new engine bearing and big shell inserts. Engine pistons are plus .010 with new rings, cylinder taper was ok, resurfaced tappets, leak down test ok on valves.
Bike has about 45 minutes run time,
I probably will never run bike again, have other bikes to ride and I am in mid 70's.
What needs to be done to store properly?
Have drained gas from tank and carb, oiled top end valves, tappets, oil on chrome rims. Should cylinders be lightly oiled and turned over on a regular basis?. Do not want cylinders to glaze.
Thanks in advance, bike was a basket case when I got it, was a project. Learned a lot.

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: triumph 650 long term storage
russrudolph #632363 12/29/15 2:39 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Honest answer, seek it to someone who will ride it, or lend it to them

One a bike is laid up, it is pretty much a rebuild next time it is started so you could flood the cylinders and stump with clean oil and renew it annually

Ask a museum

russrudolph #632370 12/29/15 3:22 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
What you stated is pretty much all you have to do.

I would force a Teflon lube (dupont) thru all the control cables, pull the battery out, and fill the tires with nitrogen.

In the long run, no matter what you do, oxidation will set in, in the places you can not reach to protect.

If it were me, I would ride it once a month for a couple hours or just give it to the person(s) you intend it to go to anyway. I'm not "romantic" about these bikes. They are cool but they are just bikes, and will rot into junk if not stored in dehumidified/climate controlled storage. The next person that "finds" the bike just may scrap it after 20-30 years of "storage".
No matter how well you store a machine, it will need restoration after storage so it's a tough call.

Unless they are ridden, and maintained or stripped into Cosmoline covered parts, stored in boxes... they will rot.

AngloBike #632455 12/29/15 11:24 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by AngloBike
Honest answer, seek it to someone who will ride it, or lend it to them

One a bike is laid up, it is pretty much a rebuild next time it is started...

This is opposite of my experience. Triumphs store very well with no ill effects. Draining all the fuel, which you've done, is mandatory.

The Achilles Heel of the Triumph is the TS ball bearing. The bike needs to be kept at a constant temp and away from the dew point. Condensation on the ball bearing race is the culprit. Coating the bearing in oil or grease will help, but there is no direct way to do this. And the oil will eventually drip off.

BSA and Norton engines will eventually oil wet sump and save the bike's bottom end. That doesn't generally happen on Triumphs.

:bigt

Don't hide 'em, Ride 'em !!

RF Whatley
Cornelia, GA
russrudolph #632492 12/30/15 7:08 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Which is why I said to flood the sump.

Basically fill every cavity with oil

I don't see the point of a total engine rebuild which is then stored.
It's like the "still,crated" bikes.

They all need to stay in their crates, like collector's wine
Or a total,rebuild after storage

It's your bike but keep it in you living room to look at rather than in a shed to rot

russrudolph #632524 12/30/15 10:17 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Exposed metal parts can be coated with "ensis " fluid. It looks like crap but will preserve beneath very well.
Consider putting the bike in a balloon,tent with Silica gel crystals to absorb moisture, the crystals change colour when used up.
Keep UV off rubber parts, keep weight off tyres.

71 Devimead, John Hill, John Holmes A65 750
56 Norbsa 68 Longstroke A65
Cagiva Raptor 650
MZ TS 250
The poster formerly known as Pod
russrudolph #632531 12/30/15 10:41 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Hi

If you google "carcoon" they do ones for bikes also. I've had one for 19 year which I keep a car in and their very good.

John

russrudolph #632532 12/30/15 10:51 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I purchase a barn find T120R (1967) that sat for 23 years, I cleaned it up flushed out the oil tank, trans , primary with kerosene. Had to re-wire it put a fuel tank on it due to it having custom one . Also new tires , chain , wheel bearings, moral of the story that was 10 years and 12000 miles ago it still runs great.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership