BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
TR6Ray
TR6Ray
Illinois, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
NTB31, B. Hunt, JM Ahumada, Michael nelson, [email protected]
10824 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 139
NickL 78
DavidP 68
reverb 58
Popular Topics(Views)
972,335 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,364
Posts677,205
Members10,824
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (998John), 76 guests, and 400 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why is it [Re: ricochetrider] #616528 09/08/15 12:38 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by ricochetrider

I usually just tell folks I'm from "the U.S." . I was more or less admonished once by a guy from Brazil (also an American) over my usage of "Americans", so I try to use the word more judiciously these days.

Need another beer yet? No. Fine, then lemme tell ya .....

If I'm in Brazil, I will be judiciously careful about offending local sensibilities, and try to use language in a way that doesn't offend the locals.

And I ask the same thing from people from overseas who are visiting this country. If someone from Brazil comes here and admonishes me about how to identify myself in English as an American citizen ....

... he can kiss my red, white, and blue arse. We should expect the same courtesy from people here as we should give them in their country.

When we were in Quebec, you had quite properly learned to say, en Francais, "My French is not very good; may we speak in English please"? That's right, and respectful, and people responded appropriately.

But I have to deal every week with the fact that millions of "visitors" here haven't made the slightest attempt to learn English, and DEMAND that everything be presented to them in their native language. And no one seems to think that's strange.

If an American (and you KNOW what I mean) goes to another country, and spends his time shouting loudly in English so that these dummies will understand "HEY! Don't NOBODY know where the damn McDonalds is 'round here? Ever'body's just spikkee furrin, they ain't got no sense I reckon ....", then all Americans are castigated for not showing respect for their host culture.

But I have to hear "Para Espanol, oprima dos" all the time, and can hardly read labels any more....

Where's the respect there? Are WE the only ones that have to show tolerance for other cultures in their own homelands? Or are our expectations lower for others than for ourselves?

Bartender, another beer please and one for my buddy there.

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Why is it [Re: ricochetrider] #616530 09/08/15 12:43 pm
triton thrasher Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I was more or less admonished once by a guy from Brazil (also an American) over my usage of "Americans".

What do expect?

That's where the nuts come from.

Amateur Loctite enthusiast.
Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616531 09/08/15 12:45 pm
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
That's where the nuts come from

Completely correct.
My complete family in law lives there so I know. crazy

BTW: I never met a Brasilian (and honest, I know a lot of them)
who named himself American. They are too proud of what they are: Brasilians.

I'm proud of what I am. So when in Portugal anyone asks me: where in Brasil do you live
(I speak Brasilian Portuguese and there is a difference like Brittish English and North American English)
I play looking very shocked and say that I'm from Holland.

Ahhh Amsterdam?
No Rotterdam.
Ahhh Rotterdam... Feyenoord!
And than there is international friendship.

For the heathens among us: Feyenoord is a Rotterdam soccer club.

Ger B

Re: Why is it [Re: Ger B] #616538 09/08/15 1:13 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Ger B
That's where the nuts come from

Completely correct.
My complete family in law lives there so I know. crazy

BTW: I never met a Brasilian (and honest, I know a lot of them)
who named himself American. They are too proud of what they are: Brasilians.

I'm proud of what I am. So when in Portugal anyone asks me: where in Brasil do you live
(I speak Brasilian Portuguese and there is a difference like Brittish English and North American English)

The one thing I'm always very jealous about, and always regret that I never learned, was the ability to speak multiple languages.

How one person can have enough brain cells to be able to speak Brazilian Portuguese AND Dutch is beyond me.

When I was working with an international team a couple years ago, I listened to people switch instantly from Urdu, Setswana, Flemish, German, Slovakian, and/or French straight to very good English and back without a pause ... I was always in awe.

I've never really NEEDED another language, since most of the world has learned English as a sort of universal communication medium, but it would have been nice.

I'm afraid the brain pathways are all locked in now .... frown

Lannis

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616554 09/08/15 2:34 pm
R
rick e. Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
I'm not the most well traveled person, but I do go somewhere in the EU every summer for a long holiday. I have never used the term American or America when asked nationality or where I'm from. Always US, or US citizen. But even that has changed over time. Now here is a tip for you (US citizens) if traveling to say, most EU countries. If some non-official person asks you where are you from, don't answer; I'm an American, I'm from America, or even, I'm from the US. Instead, tell them your state, or if your from a big metro area, tell them the city. Trust me, as soon as you open your mouth, 95% of the time, they know your an "American".

"Back in the garage with my [***] detector
Carbon monoxide making sure it's effective...
----THE CLASH-----

Re: Why is it [Re: rick e.] #616558 09/08/15 2:58 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by rick e.

Now here is a tip for you (US citizens) if traveling to say, most EU countries. If some non-official person asks you where are you from, don't answer; I'm an American, I'm from America, or even, I'm from the US. Instead, tell them your state, or if your from a big metro area, tell them the city.

I must say I'm surprised at that. Not to say that you are wrong, but I do exactly the opposite.

If someone from overseas asks me where I am from, and I say "Virginia" or "St Louis", I would expect to be excoriated for "assuming" that everyone in the world knows where the various states and cities in the USA are, just like Americans do.

If I ask a European guy where he's from, he's not going to say "I'm from Venezia-Guila" and expect me to know where that is, or maybe even what country it is.

So I think I'll stick with saying "I'm from the USA" or "I'm from America" and if the guy asks "Oh yes? What state are you from?" then I'll go from there .....

Lannis

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616578 09/08/15 4:12 pm
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
How one person can have enough brain cells to be able to speak Brazilian Portuguese AND Dutch is beyond me

I'm sorry Lannis. laughing
I do six languages, but I'm an absolute zero in maths. blush

Maybe my brain cells are shuffeled all in the same - linguistic - direction.

Ger B

Re: Why is it [Re: Lannis] #616580 09/08/15 4:21 pm
Geoff Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Lannis
[quote=rick e.]

So I think I'll stick with saying "I'm from the USA" or "I'm from America" and if the guy asks "Oh yes? What state are you from?" then I'll go from there .....

Lannis

You sir, are reconstructed. blush

I am a Virginian first, US person second (even though I live in exile up here in Yankeedom).

'78 T140V
'74 Commando
'69 TR6R
'67 Starfire
'64 Greeves TES
'58 Allstate (Puch) 175
Re: Why is it [Re: Geoff] #616611 09/08/15 8:39 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by Geoff
[quote=rick e.]

Lannis

You sir, are reconstructed. blush

I am a Virginian first, US person second (even though I live in exile up here in Yankeedom).

Well I'm only a little bit reconstructed really. To anyone in the USA who understands what it means, I'm a Virginian, citizen of one of the states who united to form a union with other sovereign states. But folks outside the USA generally won't understand that, so I don't "start" with it; they might not want to hear about our family troubles.

But if they're interested, they'll hear all about it!!

Lannis

Re: Why is it [Re: triton thrasher] #616615 09/08/15 9:02 pm
T140V-Rich Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by triton thrasher
I was more or less admonished once by a guy from Brazil (also an American) over my usage of "Americans".

What do expect?

That's where the nuts come from.

laughing laughing laughing laughing

Unreconstructed American. Lannis will understand.

Even in England, we didn't expect the local authorities/residents to adapt to our accents. We adapt to theirs or go without. Plain and simple.

I asked the transit authority at Paddington thrice which train my bride and I should board for Windsor. With the patience (almost) of Job, the conductor said, "That one."

Cheers,

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Re: Why is it [Re: T140V-Rich] #616618 09/08/15 9:18 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Originally Posted by T140V-Rich

Even in England, we didn't expect the local authorities/residents to adapt to our accents. We adapt to theirs or go without. Plain and simple.

Cheers,

Richard

I remember at Billing Open Day 2005 at the BSA camp, there was a guy from Lancashire and a guy from Wales trying to talk to each other, and they were making heavy going of it.

Sort of like a guy from Boston and a guy from Mississippi trying to have a conversation, and struggling with each other's accents ....

Lannis

Re: Why is it [Re: Lannis] #616644 09/09/15 12:14 am
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
i used to teach truck driving. one of my students was from alabama, and had an accent as thick as his localized vocabulary.

he went to buy an airplane ticket in colorado, and the ticket people couldn't understand him. eventually he had to write down what he wanted so they could figure it out.

you talk about country, this guy still had pig [***] between his toes

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: Why is it [Re: Lannis] #616655 09/09/15 2:45 am
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo

I usually just tell folks I'm from "the U.S." . I was more or less admonished once by a guy from Brazil (also an American) over my usage of "Americans", so I try to use the word more judiciously these days.

Need another beer yet? No. Fine, then lemme tell ya .....

If I'm in Brazil, I will be judiciously careful about offending local sensibilities, and try to use language in a way that doesn't offend the locals.

And I ask the same thing from people from overseas who are visiting this country. If someone from Brazil comes here and admonishes me about how to identify myself in English as an American citizen ....

... he can kiss my red, white, and blue arse. We should expect the same courtesy from people here as we should give them in their country.

When we were in Quebec, you had quite properly learned to say, en Francais, "My French is not very good; may we speak in English please"? That's right, and respectful, and people responded appropriately.

But I have to deal every week with the fact that millions of "visitors" here haven't made the slightest attempt to learn English, and DEMAND that everything be presented to them in their native language. And no one seems to think that's strange.

If an American (and you KNOW what I mean) goes to another country, and spends his time shouting loudly in English so that these dummies will understand "HEY! Don't NOBODY know where the damn McDonalds is 'round here? Ever'body's just spikkee furrin, they ain't got no sense I reckon ....", then all Americans are castigated for not showing respect for their host culture.

But I have to hear "Para Espanol, oprima dos" all the time, and can hardly read labels any more....

Where's the respect there? Are WE the only ones that have to show tolerance for other cultures in their own homelands? Or are our expectations lower for others than for ourselves?

Bartender, another beer please and one for my buddy there.

Lannis

Lannis, thanks, I can use a beer about now!

I was in Italy at the time.
The Brazilian was speaking Englais. We were hanging out together for a few days, having met randomly on the same train, heading to the same small town.

Now, back to the original question of why a Canadian woman might be somewhat incensed about being mistaken for a U.S. citizen...

Maybe she's just damn proud to be Canadian. smile

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Why is it [Re: Lannis] #616661 09/09/15 4:38 am
Peter R Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Talking about english language by non english speakers, I always found this one very funny: http://art-bin.com/art/aroomservice.html

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616663 09/09/15 5:28 am
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Maybe she just didn't Speak English

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616665 09/09/15 6:04 am
G
Ger B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
G
english language by non english speakers

Hilarious and very recognisable, Peter. laughing
But after a while you get used to it.

Ger B

Re: Why is it [Re: ricochetrider] #616681 09/09/15 9:03 am
Kent Shaun Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Maybe she's just damn proud to be Canadian

Tom Bro Dude, you got THAT right, No doot aboot it eh... wink laughing

I LOVE Canada me, the Larch, the Red Wood, the Mighty Scots pine...

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616687 09/09/15 10:01 am
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Kent Shaun
Maybe she's just damn proud to be Canadian

Tom Bro Dude, you got THAT right, No doot aboot it eh... wink laughing

I LOVE Canada me, the Larch, the Red Wood, the Mighty Scots pine...

Canada is pretty nice!
(especially in summer wink )

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616701 09/09/15 12:44 pm
No Name Man Offline
Life member
Life member
I've been asked (always in English, of course) where I was from in several different countries. It was obvious to the askers that I was "American" or at least from some English speaking country. I told em "Ohio" and the response was usually something like "Oooh"...must have sounded exotic I guess. Native American language word.

Bill E

69 A65T
71 B50T
85 K100RS
54/59 A10SR
69 B44VS
71 A65FS
95 Trident
Too much moderation is bad for you.

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616704 09/09/15 1:52 pm
tbird649 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I was asked in the States where in England I was from, I have since moved, but answered "Surrey".
After being asked again and again, louder and louder, giving the same answer, the penny dropped !!!

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #616735 09/09/15 7:54 pm
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Now that's funny.

When I was 26/27 I dated a girl that was from Liverpool. She was here in the US working as a Nanny.
When I introduced myself she told me her name was 'Ellen.

She finally had to spell it ... "H-E-L-L-E-N". Me so solly!

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #617168 09/12/15 3:55 pm
R
reverb Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
R
...first, let me say that this forum is pretty cool; with smart guys with fine humor.

I live in a small American country and I understand that for you fellas from USA (as a side note,Brazil is somewhat an United federal states too)or other big powerful country (like Brazil, China, etc) is very difficult to have other visions or points of views (from the outside); however, the opinions in this thread are very spot on; so talk very good about you, guys.
I think that the term "American" referring to USA people was coined more for the WWI and WWII immigrants; of course they came all over America, but USA after these wars let with a very powerful political and economic hegemony (being such a huge country); so the "economic prosperity" for the immigrants were to look at here; mostly to USA; hence "hacer la America" or "fare lŽAmerica" in Spanish an Italian were common phrases in the day an most came to USA.

-The surprise sometimes (due to a self centered visions that rely in to be a huge powerful country) is, like showed with these Canadians examples, that people from other countries has knowledge about USA and people from USA, mainly does not; so most think that are self centered, kind of ignorant or arrogant people.
I believe that is a thing about classes (and/or values).
I understand that a USA citizen does not like a border low class immigrant transplant, but if that person has a PhD, have a well education etc, would not have too many of a problem.
Who s want a white trash or like that as a side neighbor?...only another white trash may be.

-I can understand 4 languages, plus music language and computer language and my vision, like most here, is more global.

-Also I want to add (other commentator is saying something similar)that when traveling different societies, seems that people from USA, Brazil, Germany and Argentina are the ones that have the worst rap for the locals.

-in my experience with English spoken people in Japan, I saw that they lived as a "closed community"; I did not saw a "try" to be part of the local society etc; except for the guys that come there to practice martial arts or an specific situation. But I see this lack of efforts in people of this country too, when they emigrated to Spain (mostly for the language) 14 years ago; they could not made any relationship out of that situation, so after that economic problem most came back here again.
That thing is only due to your intellect-education-social class values thingy; so these people are the ones that talk out loud and most think that all in their countries are the same way.

--No name man, the pronunciation of Ohio is "Good morning" in Japanese.

--and yes Ger B, most know Uruguay due to Football (soccer)

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #617178 09/12/15 5:03 pm
Zombie Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
You bring up an interesting point Reverb.

I've looked into emigrating to several countries for business reasons. I have a product that I wish to manufacture but I do not wish to do this in the US for many reasons...

When you contact most other countries about permanent emigration they all want upper tier education or guaranteed business plans. Criminal backgrounds are an immediate disqualification as are many health related issues.
Unless you can contribute to their country in a social or economic manner, they will not approve permanent residency. This applies to almost all countries. Some allow no permanent residency for any reason. You have to be re-approved annually or bi-annually but never to be made permanent.

On the other hand the US is much more liberal in this. As long as you are not a convicted felon, the US will allow you to come work, live, marry, and become a permanent resident.
So for the folks that feel the US is being taken advantage of by immigrants, this is only due to the US emigration laws, and not the people that come here.

Getting to the point of a person from another country looking down on people from the US, it only follows suit.
Say you are from Canada, and you only allow the best of the best to become citizens, and 500 yards away is the US that will take any Tom, Dick, or Harry that comes down the pike.
Of course the Canadian will look down on the US. We take the people that no one else will.
Felons, and lazy arse bastards aside, I consider this a good thing. Sort of the worlds A.S.P.C.A. (but for people)

Re: Why is it [Re: Lannis] #617895 09/17/15 12:25 pm
Blapper Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Rickman

But, the last time I went to Paris, the Canadian side of the border stopped me, and charged me for "not claiming" the very visible BSA I had, like all the other times I had run up there. VERY pricey!

Haven't been back since.
Not the first time I've had a hassle from our side, but getting it from both sides, I'm done. No more of my cash getting spent up there.
At least, not MC related in person...

As far as I can tell, MOST countries put their most obnoxious, anti-social, uneducated, bad-tempered people on the border as guards.
Lannis

We called ours Welsh...

Re: Why is it [Re: Kent Shaun] #617949 09/17/15 8:27 pm
kevin roberts Offline
DOPE
DOPE
i caught it, kent.

here's another

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy7UDADXDg

Last edited by kevin; 09/17/15 9:14 pm.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor