BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Grandad
Grandad
The Crypt - South East England
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Wanganui British dirt bike meet
#60310 03/27/08 7:36 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Had a great ride over Easter down country to the Wanganui "Festival of Dirt". It was a meet and display for British classic dirt bikes. Former World champ Jeff Smith was in attendance, what a great bloke, still flying the BSA flag.
The Rocket 3 ran like a rocket, 630 miles in 2 days.
There are some pics of the trip down and back and some of the bikes at the meet, if anyones interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157604199305825/

'71 BSA Firebird/Lightning
'03 BMW R1150R Rockster
'76 Montesa 348 'Malcolm Rathmell' Cota
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Wanganui British dirt bike meet
#60311 03/28/08 12:19 am
Life member
Life member
awesome bike, awesome scenery, looks like a good time for all. Thanks.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
#60312 03/28/08 12:25 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Some very nice photos of the Rocket 111.

Down via Taranaki and home up the middle?

I recognise the Tunnel and the Desert Road.

Central North Island - I slipped igniton timing on my G3LS in about 1968 just down the way from the Ruapehu shot. A very long push home but you can do it when your 15.

#60313 03/28/08 4:42 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
You got it in one, John. They call that Whangamomona Rd the Forgotten Highway now, for obvious reasons. Excellent bike road it is.
Missed you by a few years. I had a few adventures on a G3LS on the Desert Rd in the early 70's.
Rick

'03 BMW R1150R Rockster
#60314 03/28/08 5:38 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Just back from 2 weeks holiday in the South Island and wished I was on a bike ! For future reference (all), I recon you could do a LOT worst than a bike holiday in NZ . Absolutely Stunning . :stout: Spreights Dark

Holty

YEP ,, from OZ .

1950 B33
1952 M33
1952 A10 Outfit
1970 A50
#60315 03/30/08 12:26 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Thanks for the great pics. Looks like a fine and fun event. Being an owner and a fan of the Triumph Trophy Trail, it was great to see some shots of that bike in action and I really appreciated the one with all the patina of real use showing proudly.

"You may fire when you are ready Gridley"
#60316 03/31/08 12:18 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

Thanks for the photos Rick, sounds like a good enjoyable trip.

I flew back down the Desert Road on my return from the Taupo A1GP a couple of months ago.
What surprised me was the deceptive gradient, - the road rises from about 2000' up to 3000', I guess. I know I had to put full cruise power on to maintain my 600' AGL coming through the gap.

People may not realise that Ruapehu is over 9100 ft and is a little active. The last eruption was in September.

Wikipedia Page

Thanks for sharing the photos. The mountain looks much better with the BSA parked in the foreground.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

#60317 03/31/08 12:58 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
and you probably came up from Wanganui on the Parapara road as well?

Thats where I learnt to ride a bike in 1968/69.

We would travel all the back roads between Taupo and Wanganui. We would ride until we spent 50% of our money on gas and then turn round to come back. But a few times we miscalculated and had to hitch home to steal petrol from my Dad's tractor!

He actually also rode these roads as well in 1949 on a brand new AJS 500. Across the Desert Road in winter but it wasn't sealed, just gravel and that was better in the snow. Somewhere I have an old black and white photo I should dig out.

Actually just looked again. I think you came through Taihape maybe not the Parapara. If you ever do it again try the Parapara and turn onto Fields Track half way up. If it is a clear day you come out onto the Central Volcanic Plateau with an amazing view of the mountain.

#60318 03/31/08 6:35 am
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Hey John,
Your geography is not half bad. Taihape it was. I have been up the Paraparas many times but not for some years now. Amazing road. Felt like coming up SH1 'cos I was in bit of a hurry. Heard about Fields track but never ridden it. Another one of those gotta-do's. I rode a Matchy 350 over that Desert road at night in 1972 when it was snowing all the way from the Three Sisters to Waiouru. Rode hard behind a delivery truck, stayed in his wheeltracks. Nearly froze to death. Open face helmet, vinyl jacket, young and crazy back then. These days it'd be a warm motel room first.
Rick

'03 BMW R1150R Rockster
#60319 04/01/08 12:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Im pretty sure Fields Track is all seal these days and an interesting back country drive.

Somewhere along it there is a river that has cut a tunnel through a cliff and it emerges half way up the cliff face. If you climb round where the water goes in you can walk right through the tunnel. In the pools in the cave are white freshwater crayfish. I remember this from our exploring days back in the 1960s - maybe its all gone now??

I rode the Whangamomona Rd, Forgotten Highway on my 900 SS Ducati many years latter. That was gravel frown and the right thing would have been to use the Ducati on the Desert Road and the G3LS on the Forgotten Highway. :bigt:

Stayed in the Whangamomona pub. The owner tells you that he won't get up in the morning and you have to go into the kitchen to feed yourself.

The Wellington guys are going to the NZCMRR meeting at Taupo 12 April. If you are around I will keep a look out for a smart Rocket 111.

#60320 04/03/08 2:15 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I spent a (far too) short time of my childhood in Waiouru and Okahune - those pics (particularly Ruapehu) bring back memories smile Perfect roads and scenery for British bikes.

Moderated by  Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership