BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Tazaroo
Tazaroo
Wisconsin
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
The Snow Mann Hill Climb
#596711 04/26/15 12:15 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Got up at Dawn's crack, pulled back the curtains and saw... BLOODY RAIN.. mad

Not that MAN sized rain, that anyone can handle, it was that drizzle rain, the sort that creeps up on ya. You think you won't get wet, and you end up soaking. Course with all me gear on I was dry as a bone, bit it's not nice for them that aren't that fortunate...

I'd been preparing Albert for today's ride, did it all yesterday in the Sun shine, got the wet weather tyres fitted, and filled up with High Octane fuel, and THIS time fitted an aerodynamic Pasty. Don't want to lag behind Baza, due to the drag a meat pie would give, so first thing to do is lay your Pasty on tin foil...

[Linked Image]

Then using proper string, not that garden plastic twine stuff, tie it to the cylinder head...

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: The Snow Mann Hill Climb
Kent Shaun #596713 04/26/15 12:23 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
[Linked Image]

Leave over night, and place your size 11 on the kickstart, and away you go...

There was Baza with his meat pie on he's cylinder head, sat there in the rain, and off we set, splashing and sloshing along them well soaked lanes, both of our visors were misting up, and as we both are hard of seeing. Our glasses were also misting up, and THAT'S why Baza missed the turning we needed... laughing

I was just thinking, this is like a BSA club ride to Belgium, and all we need is a 'Road Closed' sign, when what did I spot...? YES, a *Road Closed* sign, and did Baza take the diversion, take the diversion Baza did NOT...

Seems the road was closed due to the railway crossing having some work, Baza got to the cones and stuff, had a word in the bloke's shell like, then rode straight across... laughing

And at the very next junction, who did we find, BLIMEY you couldn't have timed it better, the Hairy Mong on the Sports Tourer Norton, so out team was all set...

Kent Shaun #596717 04/26/15 12:40 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
Got to the venue to ride straight into the scrutineers...

[Linked Image]

And once I'd got the all clear, it was Cornish Pasty time...

[Linked Image]

Lovely it was too, nice and hot with that oven baked crusty pastry, all washed down with a nice cuppa tea from the chuck wagon... :bigt

Whilst I drank me tea I had me a mooch...

Team, Wrecker Rapley's Racers...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Others were getting checked out while I mooched...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So once that was done, and the Hairy Mong along with Baza had eaten their pies, it was time to consider the slalom...

[Linked Image]

Baza needed the 'Bathroom' so as this was a farm...

[Linked Image]

So while he was in there, I went for it, I USUALLY bugger up the Slalom, getting lost, or putting me feet down, or crashing into the cones. BUT, and you'll notice that's a big but there, I did a PERFICK round, not one point lost. Baza on t'other foot, lost us loads of points, his feet were hardly off the floor, and WHERE WAS he going...

[Linked Image]

Kent Shaun #596721 04/26/15 1:06 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BLIMEY, it didn't bode well for the 'Team' just me and the Mong to rely on now then, perhaps we can make up the lost points...?

Lots of bikes coming in, although a tad down on last year to the the weather, but ANY bikes can do this, as you only ride against the clock, so even bikes like this were out today...

[Linked Image]

So up to the start line for the hill we did go, waiting in the drizzle with all the others...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

But once we'd start all was going well, up the hill and around the bends...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After two runs the weather started to get worse...

[Linked Image]

Just in time for the lunch break, so off to the usual watering hole, for light refreshments...

[Linked Image]

A good drop of the local brew, went down a treat, and the weather improved a bit too, so back to see how the 'Team' were doing...? Imagine how my Flabber was Gasted, when I found out, that the Hairy Mong was now also throwing points to the wind... shocked

You're SUPPOSED to try to keep the same time on all 4 runs, the I was about 2 seconds out, Baza was about 3 seconds out, and the Hairy Mong was TEN, that's TEN seconds out. And he's supposed to be a professional as well, consider our Flabbers, well and truely Gasted. First Baza buggers up our points, now the Hairy Mong, and I'm supposed to be the apprentice here dudes... laughing

Here's one for our Kev...

[Linked Image]

And one for Wade...

[Linked Image]

So after our Beer break, we got back to the task at hand...

[Linked Image]

And finally Baza in all his Glory..

[Linked Image]

Won't get the proper results till later on, but I fear we've come NOWHERE..!
So nothing for it but to kick Albert into life, and set off for home, going back the same route, we came across that railway crossing again, and THIS time the idiot would NOT let us through. Seems the couple of words Baza had, ended in OFF... laughing

So back around the diversion and away we did go, riding the roads in the county of East Sussex isn't too bad, they hardly have any Pot holes, BUT, and that's a F**K me sort of but, the Mammoth traps we have here in Kent, are a right royal Pain in the chuff, I tried me best to dodge them, but just glanced one, and the bloody headlight fell out. Lucky for me, the glass never broke, but that's the second time that's happened, and only in Kent... mad

I REALLY need a better way to hold that lens in place, rather than the silly spring clip BSA used. Something to think about while I'm in the Hell Hole, well that's another wonderful day out with the lads over and done with.. :bigt

Stay tuned, more to come, on a screen near y'all soon, come back now y'hear...

Kent Shaun #596728 04/26/15 1:53 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
A word of warning, as you may know i can only do hillclimbs at one speed,Flat out, but do not,i repeat do not wear a waterproof oversuit, whilst attempting my racing start off the line the old M20 engine cut out so another restart and same thing happened! when some onlookers said "your waterproofs have been injested into the bellmouth" laughing

Kent Shaun #596730 04/26/15 2:04 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Blustering barnacles is all i can say. Tis strange how the weather pails into insignificance when a good day is being had. Meeting the Kentish Hellbelly and The Baza, my very own team, by chance around those lanes was a complete fluke, and breaking through the road block at the railway level crossing...well, just set the day off just fine !
So there we were, Baza going the wrong way around the slalom, dabbing his feet down losing team' Wrecker Rapley Racers loadsa points, The Hellbelly actually not getting lost on the slalom for the first time, then Ye Gods, it all went wrong for me ! But it dawned on me, pondering it all on my way home that it was ALL Baza's fault !
You see, as quite a few of you may know, Baza was on Merlin, the super race tuned BSA M20, high compression, gold star cams, and a whopping big fat carb sticking out the side. Proper flys it does, doesn't even sound like a side valve I can tell ya. I'm sitting behind him on the start line on my mighty Norton Big 4 sports tourer.
The flag drops, Baza gives it loadsa revs,shoots up the track like a rat down a drain pipe, gets his feet on the pegs, amongst loadsa bangs n pops he splutters to a stop, that whopping big carb bell mouth is sucking his waterproof trousers in as soon as he gets his feet up! He wheels it back to the line, I told him, but the red mist had come down, giving it even more revs he belts of the line and does the exact same thing again. So wheels it back he does, listens to what we're telling him and heads off to change his trousers.
So now its my run, off I potter up the hill, doing exactly the same as my other runs, 20mph all the way up the hill. BUT, and this is one of Shauns BIG buts, when we checked our times, it showed I'd done that run a whole 11 seconds quicker, incurring 22 penalty points, which put me and our team completely last !
Now, I'm certain, that as it woulda been impossibe for me to do a run 11seconds quicker, it MUST have been down to Baza messing about on the start line and srewing up the timing system ! Well thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it ! :

oily Enfield KX1140 [The Bombay ]
Rusty old Norton Big 4 Sports Tourer
Bob Mitch #596732 04/26/15 2:13 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Mong, did you not take into account that as the track was drying,tyre temp went up, plus higher air pressure at that height, plus you were probably suffering from altitude sickness, all this would account for that ten seconds faster! clap

baza57 #596735 04/26/15 2:23 pm
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
What can I say... shocked

ELEVEN seconds was it.. mad

And Baza's trousers going up that Carb, what about Bumble Bees, don't he think about them... frown

WHAT a *Team* I got meself lumbered with, STILL there is one consolation, we were the very FIRST to come last... laughing

Well done lads, we'll try harder next time eh.. clap

Kent Shaun #596736 04/26/15 2:24 pm
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I was there for a short while. If Bo Peep Hill had not had its own (wet) eco system I would have stayed longer! My 40 mile ride from West Sussex was very pleasant, if a tad cold, until I got to within a couple of miles of the event, where it was bloody wet. After a coffee and a mooch, I returned from whence I came, sure enough, 2 miles, dry again. In fact, by Lewes the sun was trying to come out. Oh well, next year.....

Kent Shaun #596739 04/26/15 2:41 pm
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
Sounds like a CLASSIC team effort in more ways than one, I can tell by the friendly repartee indicating the steps you went through to get to the end ...

1. Enthusiasm,
2. Disillusionment,
3. Panic,
4. Search for the guilty,
5. Punishment of the innocent, and
6. Praise and honor for the nonparticipants.

That last would be all of US but we did enjoy the day!

Lannis

Do dogs see police dogs and think "Oh no it's the cops!"?
Kent Shaun #596757 04/26/15 5:20 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Looks like a great time, in spite of the dodgy weather.
I love these kinds of timed events.
Good solid fun.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership