BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
bluzdoctor
bluzdoctor
west virginia
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Jay999, davidlittle, Frank B, Curtis, Boggie
10936 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 60
quinten 58
Popular Topics(Views)
1,060,056 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,207
Posts684,470
Members10,936
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (68Newbie), 525 guests, and 847 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tips for re-covering a seat #589694 03/11/15 9:20 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Folks as much as I love this site....I really have a hard time with the search engine.

So, I will start my own thread to help through re covering a couple of seats.

I know some where along the line Mr Healy gave some tips, maybe somebody remembers where those are and I can add them to this thread.

I have the hair dryer, the file holder clips....

I'd like to hear from some of you that have done this and had sucess. Any and all tips have to help some one like me who has tried and failed. I've only tried it once and it was such a mess when I finished I pretty much swore off of ever doing it again.

I also need a source for the "edge protection" around the seat pan.

I have two seats to recover.....maybe this time around they won't end up looking like a 13 year old girls first attempt at stuffing her bra with socks!

Thank you in advance...Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 03/11/15 2:37 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #589697 03/11/15 9:29 am
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Ok

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=404701

John's link seems dead in that thread, hopefully he can provide a new one

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #589699 03/11/15 10:01 am
htown Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I did mine in the middle of the summer here in SE Texas and let it sit out in the sun for a few hours.

1978 Bonneville T140E
1974 Trident
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
1971 Norton Commando
1972 Norton Commando
1973 Norton Commando
1974 Norton Commando
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS

Everything will be alright in the end. If its not alright, its not the end.
Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: kommando] #589700 03/11/15 10:16 am
Beach Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I use car door edge trim that can found at most auto parts stores to cover edge of metal pan..Works great...

Bill
1974 Norton Commando
1966 Lightning
1965 Lightning Rocket
1966 Norton Atlas
1967 Norton Atlas
1948 Panhead
Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #589702 03/11/15 10:48 am
J
John Healy Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
J
http://vintagebikemagazine.com/category/technical-articles/

A warm sunny day will almost make you think your an "expert." The real test comes on cold Winter days (and some of our cool summer days here in the North East. I pop the cover in the oven at 100 to 150 F for 20 minutes. Do not put it directly on the oven rack but on a tray like a pizza pan. I then carefully work under a 300 watt lamp to keep the cover (and my old hands) warm as I work. As it can get near 500 F near the lamp you must be careful not to melt the seat. A hair drier is also helpful. If you end up with some wrinkles from where it was folded don't worry. One day in the sun and they will all be gone.

We supply dealers with an alternative chrome trim that closer replicates the original. The trim that comes with most covers is too narrow, not really chrome looking and difficult to install. Ask the dealer for a Coventry Spares, Ltd 60-0696W. It is much easier to work with and has its own internal adhesive which secures the trim in place.

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #589712 03/11/15 1:21 pm
I
Irish Swede Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I
Thanks for the tips.

At first, I thought the first "tip for re-covering a seat" would be "find out who STOLE it."

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Irish Swede] #589726 03/11/15 2:40 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Irish Swede
Thanks for the tips.

At first, I thought the first "tip for re-covering a seat" would be "find out who STOLE it."

Okay.....that's REALLY funny!!!!! laughing :bigt laughing

Great tips and thank you ALL for taking the time to share them.

Thanks to kommando (who always seems to come through) for that old link....I remember that thread but had forgotten Craig (our Bonzo) had replied to it.

I "think" I'm armed with enough information to give it a go.

Thanks again for the help.....fingers crossed in NC Pokey

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #589731 03/11/15 2:52 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
GG, if you are doing a Victor seat with the rear hump then position the hump first but do not try to get the seam to run on top of the hump (as it should if they had designed the cover correctly but sadly they did not and the copies copied the fault ;( ) but allow the seam to fall forwards. Get the tension tight just forward of the hump or a loose bit will appear later as you tension at the front.

Irish Swede, nice one !!

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: kommando] #589782 03/11/15 8:29 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by kommando
GG, if you are doing a Victor seat with the rear hump then position the hump first but do not try to get the seam to run on top of the hump (as it should if they had designed the cover correctly but sadly they did not and the copies copied the fault ;( ) but allow the seam to fall forwards. Get the tension tight just forward of the hump or a loose bit will appear later as you tension at the front.

Irish Swede, nice one !!

Got it :bigt thanks for the tip....how did you know one of the seats I was going to re-cover was a B44? laughing smile laughing

Beach, I stopped by the cheapo auto store on the way home and picked up some of the edge trim you mentioned. Enough for two seats for around $10 and it worked GREAT!!!!!! Thanks for the tip.

Now all I gota do is figure out if I need to set the oven on bake or broil? laughing

Not yet re-covered in NC....but soon, Pokey

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #590093 03/13/15 9:57 pm
DavidP Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I found that a hair dryer just doesn't put out enough heat in a large enough area. Not having John's 300W lamp, I used a space heater the last time I recovered my seat. Warm the cover, start stretching, clamp on the clothes pins, put it back in front of the heater, stretch, put it back in front of the heater, stretch.......
Warning, by the time I got done my work room was about 95 degrees.
Beach party in April! laugh

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V "Wotan"
Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #590146 03/14/15 8:06 am
H
henryanthony Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
H
Gordon,

Use Google to search BritBike. Enter your search as follows:

seat cover site:britbike.com

"seat cover" is the search term. You can replace with any terms you want. The "site:" part tells Google what site to search.

When I recovered my seat, I was not in a hurry and started mine at room temperature over a period of several days. Each day, pulled a little more. Waited for a ninety degree day. Let it soak in the sun for the final pull. Came out very good and it was my first try. Followed John's Vintage Bike article technique. Seat trim from Mitch Klempf was extremely difficult to fit. Heat gun helped.

Henry

Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: henryanthony] #590153 03/14/15 9:26 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by henryanthony
Gordon,

Use Google to search BritBike. Enter your search as follows:

seat cover site:britbike.com

"seat cover" is the search term. You can replace with any terms you want. The "site:" part tells Google what site to search.

When I recovered my seat, I was not in a hurry and started mine at room temperature over a period of several days. Each day, pulled a little more. Waited for a ninety degree day. Let it soak in the sun for the final pull. Came out very good and it was my first try. Followed John's Vintage Bike article technique. Seat trim from Mitch Klempf was extremely difficult to fit. Heat gun helped.

Henry

Henry, GREAT TIP!!!!....just tried it for the first time (search)and it worked!!!! A man's never to old to learn something new. :bigt I've kept putting this seat re-covering thing off for to long but today is the day. I gota little brake work to take care of then.....no more excuses. The cover will go in the oven (thank you Mr Healy) and I have several work lights from 300-500 watt to keep everything warm.

David....I think the hair dryer is more for stubborn spots. An example is the first seat I'm working on has an short offset (to fit around the hinges)in the middle of the pan and I used the hair dryer to help mold the edge molding through that section....worked great and when the molding cooled it stayed put.

I have to be honset....I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done and I'm going to have to do it.

Warm and fuzzy?????? nope.....but armed with some GREAT tips...it should go okay.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 03/14/15 9:28 am.
Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: Gordon Gray] #590176 03/14/15 12:51 pm
shel Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
I've done 4 seat covers, 2 of my own and 2 for a guy I work with, all 4 were during summer months so we just laid out the covers on the hood of my truck, had everything else ready to go and installed them during our lunch break. 2 sets of hands makes it go pretty quick. Put the finished seat back on the hood of the truck for the rest of the day to bake out the wrinkles

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Re: Tips for re-covering a seat [Re: shel] #590284 03/15/15 12:23 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
YEE HAW!!!! Well fellers, I got the first one done. :bigt I used pretty much ALL the tips and I'll have to say it turned out well. This seat pan had the little teeth/spikes and I used them then backed up and glued it too...kinda overload but it made me feel better.

That's the FIRST one I've done (only two total) that looks okay and I'm happy with it.

Even armed with all the tips....I was still nervous as a prostitute in church...but the next one shouldn't be as bad. smile

Mr Healy's oven and high output lamps were a big help. Cold...the cover wouldn't go on the foam correctly. Once out of the oven...it fit like a glove.

Thanks for all the help......Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 03/15/15 12:26 pm.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO