BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Dennis M
Dennis M
California, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Mr. Bean, rudi, Derek, Psychorider, Shedengineering
10861 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 168
DavidP 66
reverb 64
NickL 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,012,290 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,781
Posts680,187
Members10,861
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Beach), 333 guests, and 600 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 56 of 56 1 2 54 55 56
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781915 08/19/19 12:46 am
Q
quinten Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Online Happy
BritBike Forum member
Q
Originally Posted by kevin roberts
im going to jam one of the turkeys nto a car and take it to the post office to introduce him.

Careful , the post office may view this an act of fowl play
[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781975 08/19/19 9:34 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i suppose a charging turkey might be frightening to some people

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

but i confess the danger appears highly exaggerated to me.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781980 08/19/19 11:28 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
That is one fowl looking bird.. What breed is it? I find our chickens to be non threatening, even the large rooster fairly pleasant around humans.

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781985 08/20/19 12:25 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i don't know what it is.

it's a fairly recent specialty breed that was developed to have black and white feathers so american indians could use them in their ceremonial gear without having to poach eagles.

we started out with a flock of mixed cocks and hens, but the hens all hatched clutches and took to the woods with them. i'm expecting the mysterious appearance of flocks of black and white turkeys to start making local news.

they were very friendly to me until one day i came home on my morgo, which upset them greatly. so they take offense at me now on general principles. but they're harmless. no spurs, no bites, just evil looks and chest bumping.

every day you do not take a chance is a day of your life that you will never get back.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781986 08/20/19 12:34 am
R
Rich B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Turkeys definitely march to the beat of a different drummer. The 3 we have are unique.

They started out disliking Harley’s with loud pipes. Then it was Dodge pickups with a Cummins and noisy pipes. Then Ford diesels with noisy pipes, now, most anything with noisy pipes offends them. But they ignore my Brit bikes....

They definitely have some interesting behaviors.....

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781987 08/20/19 12:36 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i was running open pipes on the morgo.

maybe that was it.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #781988 08/20/19 12:47 am
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Do you eat turkey eggs? Or are they for meat? Don't tell me they are pets....LOL...

79 T140D, 96 900M Ducati ,2001 Sportster....On a bike you can out run the demons..
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782026 08/20/19 11:50 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
we got them to eat, but so far nobody has bothered, and the hens have all bailed on us.

the eggs are excellent, as large as duck eggs but without the fat. the ones we used to get from another beekeeper in california all had large numbers of double yolks.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782028 08/20/19 11:56 am
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
i have four days off. drinking coffee now before the [***] hits the fan.

took the pistons to the machinist late yesterday afternoon along with the jugs. there's a thousandths clearance between the pistons and the un-altered bores, plenty of room for him to hone. he told me to call him this morning and he will have them by noon.

now i'm just clearing the decks, sweeping so things that fall don't get lost in the clutter, putting all the tools away, wiping down the work surfaces.

lol

showtime.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782031 08/20/19 12:49 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The Ship's captian always paces the decks before a battle....Good luck!

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782064 08/20/19 7:34 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
pacing the decks may not help.

this morning i picked up the jugs from the machinist-- he honed them overnight-- and washed them over and over in hot soapy water in the kitchen sink until they came clean because there was no time to wash out the honing oil.

i washed out the reground crankshaft and installed the plugs. made a new rotor stud out of a cut-off grade 5, 7/16 x 20-inch bolt because the crank guy forgot to return the old one to me. (this one is better)

washed the crankcases out and got them ready for the crank.

went and got the rods and the little box with the bearing shells, and my stretch gauge, and the sheet with all the specs.

. . . and there's only two shells in the box. the 0.020- supplier uses TWO boxes for a set of shells, not one.

so i called ed up and it's too late to overnight, and i don't want to use the post office because of my carrier's fear of turkeys, so it's going out UPS overnight tomorrow (my second day), and will arrive the day after-- my third free day. so only then will i be able to put the rods onto the crankshaft.

so i am currently sipping a very stiff cup of way too much jack daniels to calm myself down, then i'll go and measure the piston rings and grind the valve pockets on the pistons from memory. if i get them right the first time, then the motor will be a simple bolt-up and i can perhaps time the cams and get it into the frame on my last free day.

i'm going to have to break the motor in on the side runway at the races.

this is not a normal life.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782071 08/20/19 9:38 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
What rod bearings clearances do you use?

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782072 08/20/19 9:59 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
whatever the grinder says, tony. i've never used plastigauge in my whole life.

but ed just called and said his UPS guy will pick the shells for my crank after all. so they're supposed to be here tomorrow.

i'll quit drinking, i guess. the one rod is already in, just waiting for the other shells to assemble it all.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782079 08/20/19 11:43 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I don't use Plastigauge either...I have the machinist do the measuring and tell me...

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782221 08/22/19 1:23 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
[***]

who needs to ream camshaft bushes in an old motor?

me

had to chamfer the shells too before it the rods were free

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782224 08/22/19 2:05 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Must be nice big fillets if you had to hand fit the bearings...I believe you really should measure the crank journals and rod bearings in the "torqued" rod to deterimine clearance...A liitle loose is nothing ,a little tight might be not so good...Done with machinist tools, not Plastigauge..

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782243 08/22/19 5:21 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
the journals were 1.6042, and the ID of the bearing was 1.6030, i think, giving around 0.0012. once i chamfered the shells, everything turned freely.

but i think i've finally encountered my immovable object. last night i put the crankcase halves together and got set up to degree the cams, and then the cams wouldn't turn. they would spin freely in either bush with the cases separated or loose, but not together. i tried the usual different sequence of tightening the case bolts, and put the old junky cams in that came with the motor, and they worked just fine. finally i said, these things must never have been reamed. so i put the cases together and reamed the bushes, and then the cams turned just fine. apparently the PO decided to replace the bushes but didn't know what to do.

so i put it together and degreed the cams. couldn't get 106/109 with the cams and wheels i have, but i got 104/107 or so, and said good enough. put the cam pinion nuts on and . . . the motor is tight. backed the nuts off, and the motor is free.

so not only did the PO not ream the cam bushes, he apparently installed bushes that were a little too long, it seems, and didn't cut them down when he put them in. this explains the little washer i found under the oil pump drive nut-- he just left the cam wheel unseated on the intake cam, and tightened the drive nut against the washer on the end of the cam, leaving the camwheel to be driven only by the key, not by tightening against the flange on the cam. the exhaust cam is the same way. tighten the nut fully and the cam wheel locks up.

the only other explanation would be if the noses on both new megacycle cams were a bit short, but they're buried in the motor at the moment.

so that's what finally ran out the clock. i can assemble the machine and run it with the camwheels not fully-seated on the cams, but i don't know how long it would run before it sheared a key, or before the left-hand nuts on the camwheels gradually tightened in and seated the cam wheels against the bushes and spun em. if it's the cams and not the bushes, it's possible that i can re-install the cams that came out of the blown motor. they appear to be okay. i thought i sent them out for magnafluxing, but when i got them back i looked and realized that i'd sent out the old worthless cams that came in the donor motor. but that's more time than i have.

damn. super tight but do-able schedule, but it depended on the crankcases swap not encountering too many glitches. so i'm going to town for a bit to clear my head and think about whether there's a solution that i can do in the next 24 hours.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782252 08/22/19 7:04 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
So drift out the timing side bushes and file then by hand if necessary......I use .0016 journal clearance on my flexi flyer stock cranks..

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782270 08/22/19 10:33 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
no, i don't think so. i've run out of time to be careful and reached a saturation point beyond which i can still solve the problems, but only by slapping things together and not checking. and i don't trust myself to do that.

i have only one day to assemble, test, and pack up to leave -- tomorrow. i would need to go from a partially assembled motor on the stand to a running machine on the track. i wouldn't even be able to run it any longer than to set the ignition timing before i have to leave.

i'm really interested in running this machine, but i don't want to blow it up again. i have your buell, three sprockets to try, a handful of mainjets, and even a little plastic plug to look through at the timing mark in the flywheel if i decide to monkey with the timing. i'm going to have a leisurely few days at the races rather than the more usual brain-on-fire tuning frenzy that the 650 demands to run well.

when i come back i'm going to strip it down again (i've had it down to the rod bearings and back up to the timing wheel three times in the last 24 hours, i think).

i'll just throw the camshaft bushes away-- they're the solid bronze ones, and were a bear to ream. i'll go over rod clearances again. specs call for 0.0005 to 0.0015, and i want to make sure i have what i need. i'm not real good with snap gauges, and i'm not convinced i like the 0.0012 i finally decided was there.

so i'm slowing down now and decompressing. it's been high-pressure here for too long.

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782278 08/22/19 11:41 pm
Hillbilly bike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sounds like a plan, good luck...

Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782314 08/23/19 10:58 am
R
Rich B Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Sounds like a plan

Sometimes....ya just gotta walk away

Never underestimate the human ability to elevate stupid to a whole new level!.
Re: mail-order LSR [Re: kevin roberts] #782341 08/23/19 3:34 pm
kevin roberts Offline OP
DOPE
OP Offline
DOPE
it's in good shape. if it were just assembly, i have learned that i can put a motor together from a box of parts in about six or eight hours. but i still have piston crown clearances to measure, and the valve pockets have to be re-worked to fit the OS valves. that along with the cam bushes and my increasing skepticism about the rod bearing clearances are what influenced the decision.

this configuration with everything the same except crankcases went 131 mph in the mile on its first run in july, and the record is only 133, so i think we have a shot at improving that next time. it will also give the motor one fewer events before i take it to the salt flats next summer. i've been replacing the rod bearings every two events so far, and that would have been running three on them.

Page 56 of 56 1 2 54 55 56

Moderated by  Allan Gill 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership