BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
roadrocket
roadrocket
cork ireland
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
31 registered members (AML), 180 guests, and 51 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
urbanghost, Richard313, Gordo, to.bias, Nomdegom
10383 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 96
Mori55 88
Stuart 77
reverb 75
DavidP 72
Triless 71
Rohan 69
btour 66
Popular Topics(Views)
689,547 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,028
Posts661,836
Members10,383
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I have bought an American motorcycle!!! #580859
01/13/15 9:36 pm
01/13/15 9:36 pm
Jordan, NY
Al Eckstadt Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
Well, I'm glad I wasn't one of those who was bustin' on Shaun for buying an Amurican motor. Cause I have gone and done it myself.

I have crossed the line in the sand and purchased an American motorcycle. I am watching movies of Easy Rider, Hell's Angels on Wheels, and Wild Hogs so I can accustom myself to the American "Biker" lifestyle. I may soon no longer be fit to manage our British bike club and the members may consider finding a replacement. Yes, I now own a motorcycle from that fine American Institution...... Montgomery Wards.

It's a '68 Wards Riverside Mojave 260. The main feature of this bike is rust plating which is much easier to maintain than chrome plating. It's fuel efficiency is only matched by other non-running cycles and basket cases. Another good feature is that I am trading unreliable Lucas Electrics for the gold standard of electrics - Magneti Marelli (!).

You may know about this bike - it was made by Benelli for Wards and the American market. Benelli made a metisse frame with a Rickman-like body style (of steel). The frame was designed to accept several engine sizes. Benelli had a prototype with their 650 twin Tornado engine installed (and bigger brakes). The Wards bikes were offered with the 260 or 360 singles but all are the same frame and body.

I plan to attempt to get the 260 engine operational. However I am looking for a donor engine for this chassis. I will need a (British) two cylinder 500/650 or 750. Single carb preferred but two carb OK.
Please look in your sheds, attics, basements and see if you can help me out!

Remember about two weeks ago I was asking questions about these bikes? I want to thank the forum for the help I received in that regard. All the comments were appreciated. There's a very good Yahoo group for the Wards bikes so I won't have to pester y'all anymore with it.
I probably paid too much for this rusty hulk but these models are not plentiful. Who knows when I might get another chance.
I will be tinkering with it to get it started, but just so you know where my priorites are - I just sent the Interceptor carbs to get the slides sleeved. And next on my shop list is to recommission my Bonneville which needs some TLC.

Photobucket slideshow:
'68 Mojave 260

Last edited by Al Eckstadt; 01/13/15 9:38 pm.

Al Eckstadt
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580863
01/13/15 9:55 pm
01/13/15 9:55 pm
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
What a score!

Nice, with a T100 engine and some better wheels you'll have a budget Rickman!
I like the frame, it offers up some serious underslung protection for the cases.

Don in Nipomo

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580866
01/13/15 10:11 pm
01/13/15 10:11 pm
OZ
Triless Online content
BritBike Forum member
Triless  Online Content
BritBike Forum member

OZ
Well, all is not lost. At least your choice of prospective engine is on the money! Good luck with the project. Look forward to seeing the finished article. Saw a similar project in a magazine a few years back ( Triumph twin engine, of course ) and it really looked the business. The only problem was squeezing in the exhausts, between exiting the head and the frame down tubes, but this wasn't insurmountable. And the finished product did look good.

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580870
01/13/15 10:37 pm
01/13/15 10:37 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
rocketscientist Offline
BritBike Forum member
rocketscientist  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Smackinthemiddle, NJ
sorry....not American...Italian. so you can still stay here! Good for specials for sure. Triumphs in them are common. The worst alignment issue is the swingarm pivot is high in the frame, so the engine will sit high in the cradle in the stock position. I have a honda 400 in mine. Single carb in the best fit. I took a cm400 twin carb, made a single manifold for a 34mm mikuni.

VERY flexible build platform. vintage MXer use them alot. the frame is WAY overkill.

I have NOS set of bodywork for it; just in case I buy another some day. Also. some other NOS bits - wheels and such.....

Attached Files trinelli2.jpglegs.JPGrightside.JPG
Last edited by rocketscientist; 01/13/15 11:00 pm.
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580873
01/13/15 10:56 pm
01/13/15 10:56 pm
SLO County, CA
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
D.Bachtel  Offline
BritBike Forum member

SLO County, CA
Is the Honelli yours?
Very nice!

The bodywork is all metal? I'll have to start looking closer.
I see one or two a year.

Don in Nipomo

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: D.Bachtel] #580874
01/13/15 11:01 pm
01/13/15 11:01 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
rocketscientist Offline
BritBike Forum member
rocketscientist  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Smackinthemiddle, NJ
Yes, built it several years ago. Sold it, bought it back. Its my reliable winter, electric start hack. bulletproof! for when the other crap I have won't start! lol.

front end is Honda. swing arm is half honda, half benelli. Home made exhaust. Italian Silentium silencers. Today I have grill guards on them for "style" purposes!

Swingarm detail: benelli where it goes into the frame, honda at the hub. welded it up and torch bent it to align the sprockets.

Attached Files swingarm.JPG
Last edited by rocketscientist; 01/13/15 11:03 pm.
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580878
01/13/15 11:56 pm
01/13/15 11:56 pm
NYC and York PA
wadeschields Offline

BritBike Forum member
wadeschields  Offline

BritBike Forum member

NYC and York PA
I like any thing with a motor.... Love everything with style (and a motor )

Congratz bigt I love it

http://wadeschields.tumblr.com/

Jack of all trades . Master of fun! wink

Beer is not the Answer.... Its the Question..... The answer is YES

[Linked Image]
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580892
01/14/15 4:42 am
01/14/15 4:42 am
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Al..., let me enlighten you a little bit, the only American thing on this bike is probably the Wards Riverside badge on the gastank, and it has apparently fallen off your bike a long time ago. (just joking). I know from experience that Italian rust is the best. laughing

Anyway, nice bike, and welcome to the club of Benelli owners. bigt

Cosmopolitan motors was the importer for these machines in the States, the owner (Larry Weis) has terminated his business due to old age, and has recently sold his inventory to a guy in Germany, who trades under the name Benelli Bauer. (check his website)
He is now in the process of sorting and cataloging the parts, and may be a source for parts in the near future.
I realize that this may be good news for Benelli owners in Europe, and not so good news for you guys in the States, since cost of shipping may add up considerably to the parts prices.

Last edited by Peter R; 01/15/15 6:37 am.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580900
01/14/15 7:52 am
01/14/15 7:52 am
Charleston SC
Ob1quixote Offline
BritBike Forum member
Ob1quixote  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Charleston SC
See what you started Shaun?

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Peter R] #580904
01/14/15 9:09 am
01/14/15 9:09 am
Pennsylvania USA
M
Mike Stillwell Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mike Stillwell  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Pennsylvania USA
Originally Posted By: Peter R

Cosmopolitan motors was the importer for these machines in the States, the owner (Larry Weis) has terminated his business due to old age,

I grew up around the corner from there! Bought my first pair of Sidi boots from Larry.

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #580937
01/14/15 1:10 pm
01/14/15 1:10 pm
Kent Garden of England
Kent Shaun Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kent Shaun  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Kent Garden of England
Quote:
laughing

Al lad, well done, you're on the right line with that lad, although being Eye Tail Ian, you'll be having fun with the wires.. cry

Be careful saying American Motorcycle on here lad, I said it once, but I think I got away with it.. wink

I'm from the SOUTH, the Deep South
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Kent Shaun] #580949
01/14/15 1:59 pm
01/14/15 1:59 pm
Smackinthemiddle, NJ
rocketscientist Offline
BritBike Forum member
rocketscientist  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Smackinthemiddle, NJ
Wiring?????? the entire harness has, maybe 8 wires! lol. CEV stuff though...makes Lucas look GREAT! that PMCO lens is a trailer / truck lens that usually winds up on these bikes once the CEV one turns pink and falls off.....

Originally Posted By: Kent Shaun
Quote:
laughing

Al lad, well done, you're on the right line with that lad, although being Eye Tail Ian, you'll be having fun with the wires.. cry

Be careful saying American Motorcycle on here lad, I said it once, but I think I got away with it.. wink

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581117
01/15/15 3:32 pm
01/15/15 3:32 pm
Westminster, MD, USA
J
J. Charles Smith Offline
BritBike Forum member
J. Charles Smith  Offline
BritBike Forum member
J

Westminster, MD, USA
Congrats on your new old bike. My good friend Paul, who has done all the machining on my long term "T140 Café Project" http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=571326&page=1 is currently tearing down his "Café ala Carte" Mojave frame/Suzuki Savage engine project for painting, polishing, and powder coating. Here is what his assembled bike looked like, but take a glance at the prior pages, too (links in his first post of this thread): http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1378864265/14. Incidentally, we met when Paul posted on the Yahoo Wards group looking for a bare Mojave frame, which I just happened to have.

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Kent Shaun] #581118
01/15/15 3:35 pm
01/15/15 3:35 pm
Western Washington State (USA)
Barb Offline
BritBike Forum member
Barb  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Western Washington State (USA)

[/quote]

".............just don't mention the War!" laughing

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581257
01/16/15 3:08 pm
01/16/15 3:08 pm
Royal Berkshire.
K
Kev. Offline
BritBike Forum member
Kev.  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Royal Berkshire.

http://kevindean.zenfolio.com/

http://backstreetthunder.wordpress.com/

1952 Norton Special
1970 BSA A65 Lightning
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1981 Harley FLH
2006 BMW R1200GS

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581311
01/16/15 11:35 pm
01/16/15 11:35 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
What I find interesting is that Monkey Wards and Sears and Roebuck, whose business models marketed foreign manufactured motorbikes as well about everything else you could imagine, both declined precipitously starting in the sixties. Growing up, virtually everything in our home (other than food) came from Sears or Wards. there wee no other choices. My father always preferred Wards...in fact until a few years ago I had his ancient Wards garden tiller. I worked on the original motor till it would run no more. I put another motor off a lawnmower motor on it and ran it for about ten more years till the drive finally wore slam out. How could those giants in merchandising fall so quickly and so far. A nice find in the Wards motorbike. Seen many more Allstates from Sears.

Mr Mike

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581315
01/17/15 12:14 am
01/17/15 12:14 am
Midwest, United States
kyrbz Offline
BritBike Forum member
kyrbz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Midwest, United States
I've always wanted one of the 50's Sears Allstate (Puchs) 125's. Lots of the 60's Allstate 175 or 250 twingles show up, but seldom do I see one of the 50's 125's.

Puch's, Vespa's, and Cushman's

Sweeeeet little hard tail fan cooled Puch 125 (not mine but wish it was)

My Wards Riverside 125 restoration - Wards Riverside 125 Resoration

BZ

Last edited by kyrbz; 01/17/15 12:29 am.

BZ
58' Panther M75
http://bzisettas.blogspot.com/
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Mr Mike] #581321
01/17/15 2:04 am
01/17/15 2:04 am
Gnashville
DavidP Offline

BritBike Forum member
DavidP  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Gnashville
Originally Posted By: Mr Mike
What I find interesting is that Monkey Wards and Sears and Roebuck, whose business models marketed foreign manufactured motorbikes as well about everything else you could imagine, both declined precipitously starting in the sixties. Growing up, virtually everything in our home (other than food) came from Sears or Wards.

No Monkey Wards in Knoxville, all we had was JC Penny for clothes and Sears for everything else. Until they opened a Kmart on this side of town. To this day, if I ask Santa for clothes they come from Penny's, if I ask for tools they come from Sears. Now, all of them are in trouble from Wally World. mad
I remember drooling over the Allstates. Every time we shopped at Sears my parents knew where to find me.

Stepping on others doesn't make you stand tall.

71 A65L "Zelda"
92 BMW K100rs "Gustav"
72 T120V cafe project "Mr. Jim"
72 T150V yet to be named
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581322
01/17/15 2:14 am
01/17/15 2:14 am
Midwest, United States
kyrbz Offline
BritBike Forum member
kyrbz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Midwest, United States
There's an idea for Walmart, they could start selling Chinese motorcycles and badge them as "Wallstates"

BZ

BZ
58' Panther M75
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581351
01/17/15 9:54 am
01/17/15 9:54 am
Jordan, NY
Al Eckstadt Offline OP

BritBike Forum member
Al Eckstadt  Offline OP

BritBike Forum member

Jordan, NY
It is interesting to see the decline of the catalog stores when today we buy so many things from the electronic version of the catalog - the internet. Even though Sears is on the internet they are still failing - a local Sears will be shutting its doors soon.

As a side note Sears website is nearly impossible to use because they offer so much product from other vendors that you can't find their own products. Try looking for a specific tool.

Al

Al Eckstadt
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #581445
01/17/15 9:40 pm
01/17/15 9:40 pm
new mexico
C
craigw Online content
BritBike Forum member
craigw  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C

new mexico
I see where a nice original unrestored Mojave 260 did not meet reserve at $3500 on eBay.

I think catalog store's glory was that everyone had a department store right in their bathroom. Just pick up the book and look.
For the longest time Sears had WLS on a lot of things they sold. Worlds Largest Store.
In the days before interstate highways, a lot more rural living and a mentality of just running down and getting something when you wanted it did not exist. Sears and Wards flourished.
I remember as a child living in rural New Mexico in the 1950's that we did not just "run down to the local store" when we needed something. The closest major town with stores was 14 miles away. We went once a week (or less) on Saturday with our list of stuff that we added items to all week.
One of the places we went was Sears Retail/Catalog store. I liked it there, they had those wonderful TV's on display that were turned on and you could watch. Nestled back in the mountains we had no TV station that could be received at our home. I remember when a TV station was finally built that we could receive. We got our first TV when I was 13 years old in the 1960's, guess where we bought it: Sears on revolving credit.
When stores like Kmart, Large Sears & Wards Outlet Stores and many Other's became common place in much of the country, people got the "I want it right NOW" attitude. Waiting for something to be shipped in after you ordered it versus just going and getting it became unacceptable. Isn't it strange that we have come full circle and now many people order online and wait for it.
Local Competition put most Catalog Retailers under.
When I was young I thought NO ONE could outdo the Five and Dime Places like Woolworth's. Kmart did, which the same thing could be said for them, NO ONE could unseat them as top retailer. Walmart did. Who will be the one to outdo Walmart?, someone is in the wings (along with a change in peoples attitudes about what they are willing to do to shop).
This is, of course, just my opinion. There could be other factors such as Alien intervention or a Conspiracy against anything S&W such as Smith and Wesson, Sears & Wards, Studebaker & Willys, etc. smile

Last edited by craigw; 01/19/15 8:01 am.
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #582125
01/21/15 11:11 pm
01/21/15 11:11 pm
Cape Carteret, NC
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
Mr Mike  Offline
BritBike Forum member
M

Cape Carteret, NC
It amazes me that Sears and Wards and Penny's have reorganized time after time after time and each time they did not get it right. Back in the catalog days, it took nearly two weeks for us to get an order from Sears. Today online ordering is here in a couple of days depending on where it is shipped from. The big Sears store nearest us shut down this past year. Last year I ordered a part for my 30 year old Craftsman air compressor....no problem. Good things don't last forever! Great pics of some of those old motorbikes

Mr Mike

Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: Al Eckstadt] #582145
01/22/15 1:45 am
01/22/15 1:45 am
Midwest, United States
kyrbz Offline
BritBike Forum member
kyrbz  Offline
BritBike Forum member

Midwest, United States
Sears recently alienated a large segment of its customer base by moving the manufacturing of Craftsman tools overseas. Lot's of angry ex-Craftsman guys over on the Garage Journal tool forum. IMO kind of a bad move, these were some of their most loyal customers.

On a different note, when I was a youngster in the 70's my mom bought most of our clothes at Penny's. I had a bunch of these polyester photo print shirts, but this was one of my fav's.

BZ

BZ
58' Panther M75
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: kyrbz] #582211
01/22/15 1:50 pm
01/22/15 1:50 pm
ohio, usa
kevin roberts Offline
fefsa
kevin roberts  Offline
fefsa

ohio, usa
Originally Posted By: kyrbz
Sears recently alienated a large segment of its customer base by moving the manufacturing of Craftsman tools overseas.

WHAT??

i bought mail-order american boots from Mason in wisconsin for years, until the day "US made" disappeared from their catalog.

i called, and the nice lady explained that all their shoes were now to be made in china. i asked her to take me off their mailing list, and haven't been back since.

craftsman has now lost me as well.

"Are bikes so nice as all that?" asked the mole, shyly...

"Nice? They're the only thing," said the Water Rat Solemnly, as he leaned forward on the handlebars. "Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about with bikes."
Re: I have bought an American motorcycle!!! [Re: kevin roberts] #582218
01/22/15 2:39 pm
01/22/15 2:39 pm
Netherlands
Peter R Offline

BritBike Forum member
Peter R  Offline

BritBike Forum member

Netherlands
Love it ot hate it, (well I personally hate it too), but your German/French/Italian/Swedish car would not run without parts made in China/India/Thailand etc.

I understand that Snap-on tools are made in Mexico today, and now Craftsman tools will come from China, we better get used to it, as this development will be very hard to reverse.
Chinese made stuff is not necessarily crap, they made high quality material for the aerospace industry too, you get what you pay for, even in China, but it is the skilled worker in the USA or Europe who is left by the wayside as a result, and few people seem to care.

What will happen next when the Chinese economy grows further, and the workers demand higher wages over there ?
Will our children/grandchildren see their stuff made in Africa ?

Last edited by Peter R; 01/22/15 2:50 pm.

Peter.
1974 Commando 850
1972 Trident T150T
1961 Goldie DBD34
1969 Benelli 250 sport special
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership