BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Words from our sponsors..
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers!
Vintage Motorcycle Auctioneers

CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!
Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Gary E
Gary E
Medford, Oregon
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Bud O, knobby, coomo, Chris mannifield, ruellarobson
11024 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 138
DavidP 74
koan58 62
Rohan 61
Popular Topics(Views)
1,155,466 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,996
Posts691,414
Members11,024
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
69 registered members (AML), 2,675 guests, and 984 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes #571522 11/10/14 10:26 pm
C
camshaft1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Hi:
I did a search in the forum and came up with nothing. Maybe I missed something, If I did, please forgive me and if you can direct me to it.
Having said that, does anybody knows if you can convert your old bike to fuel injection?
Has anybody here done that?
Is there anybody in the country that does that?
Thanks.
JC
(67 Bonneville, 68 Bonneville, 70 A65, 71 Tiger, 72 Daytona, in that order.)

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571538 11/11/14 2:20 am
Les P Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Last edited by Les P; 11/11/14 2:20 am.

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: NickL] #571544 11/11/14 3:45 am
Les P Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I would like to think the OP was meaning electronic fuel injection not a semi controlled leak.

More bikes and projects than you can shake a stick at but they should be done in two shakes of a lamb's tail.
Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571554 11/11/14 7:21 am
C
craig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
the new royal enfield are fuel injection , and they also sell the kit so you can throw it away as the bike performs better without this set up , I guess only fitted for export emmisions which is a problem on the air cooled engine , why are you doing this ? and on what machine , one of the best systems can be found on the BMW K75/100 range , maybe this could be adapted , if your thinking of more power super or turbo is more straight forwards

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571559 11/11/14 8:01 am
kommando Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
The problem with all these ECU's is the learning cycle as the bike is started, it takes a few cycles of the engine whilst all the parameters such as crank position and initial mixtures are worked out, fine for electric starts but very difficult for kick started bikes. Jim Comnoz has added a non standard feature where some initial settings are wired into the ECU for kick starts.

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571637 11/11/14 5:13 pm
D
downhere Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
Another pointless exercise!

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571668 11/11/14 8:39 pm
C
camshaft1 Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
OP Offline
BritBike Forum member
C
Well the question came about because of several reasons,
I thought about it during an specially infuriating time when nothing I could do to my Triumph would make it run right. It's too long a story but it cost me a lot of time tinkering, lots of missed rides,new carbs, etc, etc.
The bike has electronic ignition, voltage regulator, etc. for reliability and ease of use. The weak point is the carburation. I have a library on the darn subject but there is an element of "art" with carb settings that really irks me.
One of those instances when you say "the &%#* with this nag, I'm buying a new motorcycle!!!"
I had the same bike now for 21 years,(I don't have a back up, no space) so you can imagine that things like this happen from time to time. I used to enjoy it, though, gave me something interesting to do. But sometimes it just gets old. By the way, at the present time is doing well.
Then I saw that, as pointed above, That Royal Enfield came up with fuel injected bikes, although of course, they are electric start.
THEN, I just saw the new Yamaha SR400, kick start only and fuel injected.
I tried it. Starts with one meager kick, cold, warm or hot, every time. Perfect idling. No brainer, easy.
I don't give a rat's behind about the emissions or economy, after all the Triumph vents the crankcase to the universe and the fuel economy is acceptable given the mileage that I put on it.

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571672 11/11/14 8:54 pm
D
DMadigan Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
D
It would not be hard to come up with one, you could even adapt a Megasquirt. The simple ones use throttle position and RPM. It gets complicated when you want to add nuances such as cold start and running, air tempurature, et cetera. I found a small pump that could easily be fit somewhere. Most pumps are made to be installed in the tank for cooling. You could mount this one in a tube. The drawback in building one is not many people would want one even though it would be much simpler and cheaper to tune. A butterfly body is easier to mount the throttle position sensor but then it would not look like and AMAL so the classic purists would not want it. You cannot use it in vintage racing so that kills that part of the market.
What is interesting is you can buy a barely used set of Kehein CVK carbs off an EX250 for around $50. Spickot mount, easy to tune, a whole lot cheaper than Amals or resleeving but nobody wants them. This is a set on a Shell frame flat tracker with an 800cc Triumph twin:
[Linked Image]
The link for the butterflies was made from an RC car drive shaft universal. Normally the carbs are next to each other which might work for a late parallel intake T140.

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: DMadigan] #571690 11/11/14 10:31 pm
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O
In about 1990 in San Francisco i came upon a Trident that was very beautifully modified, all silver paint and polished ally,
quite a fine machine. I looked to see the carbs and was astounded to see it had an FI system.
The owner, who was a member of the art group Survival Research Laboratories,
told me that he had adapted it from a BMW K75. I admiringly said, "What a difficult job that must have been." and he replied that it "was almost a bolt-on", and the only hard part was the wiring and crank trigger.
Hope the bike still exists, it was a real beauty.

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571733 11/12/14 10:09 am
C
craig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
if you want A1 starting on a triumph twin of any year/model and feel the carburation maybe the problem etc , fit a SU , you will never look back , about K75 f/I he forgot to add about the fuel pump and flow meter also altering the rail , ignition control unit , rail return , the list goes on , but it could be done but maybe look a mess

Last edited by craig; 11/12/14 10:12 am.
Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: craig] #571771 11/12/14 3:36 pm
O
old mule Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
O
I'd like to try an SU, for the kind of riding I do it would probably work very well. Just out of curiosity, are there kits for 650 and 750 Triumphs?
Regarding the K type fi on the triple, it looked very tidy and well-engineered, in fact I didn't notice it wasn't carbs til i took a close look. Owner said it was all done with parts and electronics from a junk yard K-75.

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: camshaft1] #571895 11/13/14 3:56 am
C
craig Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
C
has anyone any pics , I would like to look at this myself , it maybe quite complicated I think , the su I can recommend , I run one on my 6T , triumph also liked them but I think cost may have been a problem and the ever increasing demand for power/speed

Re: Fuel injection for vintage British Bikes [Re: craig] #572431 11/16/14 9:44 am
T
tri650cc Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
T
fuel injection ...buy a late model Bonneville ....the vintage Triumphs are to have Amals . My philosophy (KISS)it has not failed me yet in life.

Moderated by  Alan_nc 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership