BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Electric Starter Roller
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO
How the Electric Roller Starter works.

ORDER on eBay. CLICK HERE!

Buy your Electric Roller Starter here
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Jeff Covert
Jeff Covert
Benton, AR USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
BMac, clive1, Dan87GT, B. Nicholson, AndrewQ
10941 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
kommando 105
franko 87
DavidP 66
NickL 52
Popular Topics(Views)
1,067,632 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics68,277
Posts685,066
Members10,941
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
75 registered members (998John), 661 guests, and 835 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. #571921 11/13/14 9:19 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Okay folks...first off I'm using an OIF B25 oil filter set up on my B50. I know there are BETTER options but since I had one and it was so easy to set up I'm trying to make it work.

"Trying" is the key word here. Since I've had this bike running I have only once got the filter to not leak. I just got through with an oil change and installed a new filter. I've tried three times now to install the cover back on without any luck...it's still leaking. The leak is coming around the narrow seal at the top of the cover......not the beveled washer on the bolt. For the life of me I can't remember what I did different last time so it wouldn't leak. I "think" I have the washer in place before I tighten up the cover...but it must be getting tweeked some how.

I'm asking those who have used these (this is my first BSA OIF single) is there a secret to installing these? I'm wondering if the problem might be the Emgo filter's gasket/rubber seal?

I'm going to give it another try again tonight but was hoping somebody has an idea of what I'm doing wrong.

How tight should the cover bolt be? I've tried just tight enough that the cover didn't turn....and when it leaked ,tightened it a little more with no luck. Now this leak is very slow....but I did have it where it didn't so there has to be something I'm doing worng.

Any help out there?????

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/13/14 9:21 am.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO

Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #571934 11/13/14 10:54 am
R
Rickman Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
R
Gordon,
.... The only thing I can offer, is through other oil filter problems and results, is to ask a 'dumb question';

Have you checked that a previously used rubber gasket or seal stayed with the filter mount, so that the new filter has two seals or gaskets it is trying to seal against?

So that one seal is squishing the other one out of shape? Resulting in a no-seal situation?

... Only thing I can suggest.........

Sorry if this has already been covered...

Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #571941 11/13/14 12:06 pm
kommando Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
There are 2 types of bodies.

1. The Vokes type fitted to the B40WD.

2. The British Filters type fitted to the OIF B25's and late B40WD's

The filters are not interchangeable, the British Filter Element is too long for the Vokes and will stop the body from sealing on the head.

Look at the head of the filter body and see if Vokes or British filters is cast into it.

Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #571959 11/13/14 2:21 pm
Peter Quick Offline
Sponsor
Sponsor
Not a lot of B40WD Vokes oil filters floating around here in the USA. I almost said none but if I did then one would show up tomorrow on eBay. The connectors for the oil lines also come off at different angles on the Vokes and the spacing between the mounting bolt holes is different. They wouldn't be a straight bolt on to an OIF bike.

Perhaps the O-rings that come with the new filters are not quite right. That wouldn't be a big surprise.

Peter

check out: www.bsaunitsingles.com
2500 BSA part numbers with inventory in stock just for the unit singles!
Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #571980 11/13/14 4:56 pm
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Working from memory here, but isn't it supposed to be a square profile ring? I wonder if an x-ring (double seal) would work better.

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Alex] #572002 11/13/14 7:49 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Thanks for the replys fellows. I've been thinking it over but have a crap load of other stuff to take care of tonight so I won't get to it until tomorrow.

Alex....yes, the seal for the cover has a square profile. I "think" the sealing washers on the filter are too thick so I picked up a couple half their thickness to give them a try. I'm also going to pull that clip off the upper part of the filter so I can remove the concave washer so I can see the seal better. This time I'm going to "glue" the upper seal in place with some of the magic red stuff Richrd has me using now. That way I'll know the upper seal is where it needs to be when I put it all back together.

Photos tomorrow and I'm hoping this will help somebody if they have the same problem.

Thanks again for the help....in a hurry in NC....Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/13/14 7:51 pm.
Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #572040 11/13/14 10:32 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Gordon--I also put a OIF B25 filter on my B50. It is certainly of "British Filters" manufacture.
Don't remember any particular problem in getting a seal. The seal is certainly a square cross section. I think -again from memory--that you could quite easily get the filter body a bit off the seal--by which I mean a bit skewed--and that would almost certainly give you a leak. And it is in a position where you can't see the joint very well on the bike.
HTH

Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Tridentman] #572280 11/15/14 11:42 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Okay...one more try. smile It was 16 degrees this morning so it was a perfect time to work on the bike instead of heading out doors. smile

Let me back up a bit. I had one OIF 250 filter set up when I started on the B50. It had a bunch of mix-matched parts and when I first tried it it leaked like a sieve. So I picked up a couple more and put together a unit that at least matched the parts breakdown.

[Linked Image]

I had a little trouble getting it to seal but most of that was due to the beveled rubber washer on the bolt that holds the cover on. I ended up sort of making my own washer and once that was in place.....no more leaks.

I'm using the Emgo filters

[Linked Image]

They come with sealing washers top and bottom and a new square profile seal for the cover.

I was leak free until the next oil change and for the life of me I can't seem to get the cover to seal this time around. mad Three trys....three fails.

So this time around (fourth try) I did things a little different. It looks like the new filter (on left) is being compressed a bit when I compare it to an unused filter.

[Linked Image]

I can't see anything inside that would be causing that so I'm guessing it might be the sealing washers that come with the filter.

[Linked Image]

So I replaced them with thinner ones. There was/is still plenty of pressure from the cone shaped spring keeping the filter tight to the metal washers top and bottom so I think this wasn't a problem. I went from 1/8" thick washers to 1/16"

Also this time around....I removed the top metal washer so I could see all around where the square profiled washer fits. I cleaned that surface and added a little of Richrds red magic goo to the seal and installed it in the filter's upper body making sure it was not tweeked and then wiped off the excess red goo. With that metal washer in place it hard to see the side opposite from where you're working from. If you've worked with this filter you KNOW what I'm talking about.

[Linked Image]

Buttoned it up and when it warms up a bit. I'll give it a try and see how it goes this time.

Still not sure why it sealed with the old filter and not this time...I tossed the old filter and it was gone before I knew this one wasn't sealing.

Fingers crossed in a COLD NC........Pokey

PS....THANK YOU to all that have taken the time to reply...it's a comfort just knowing you're out there and willing to help a cobler. :bigt

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/15/14 11:49 am.
Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #572456 11/16/14 12:00 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
It stayed pretty cold here yesterday but I did get a chance to run the B50 for a few miles and I pushed it pretty hard.

Here it is after sitting over night.....I "think" I got the filter sealed this time.

[Linked Image]

Looking back at my photos the filter I was using looks longer that the unused one. Came out of the same kind of box with the same part numbers. I didn't think to measure it but I left myself a note ( on a new filter) to measure it in 2000 miles when it gets swapped out.

Thanks again for all the help......dripless in NC (for now smile ) Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/16/14 12:03 pm.
Re: Help with a OIF B25's oil filter. [Re: Gordon Gray] #574939 12/03/14 7:52 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Well crap.....it started leaking again frown.

I pay attention and I've never heard of ANYBODY else having trouble with these filters....sooooooooooooooooooooo it HAS to be something I'm doing wrong. confused

I've spent the last couple of days working on/swapping/redoing the darn thing and it only got worst. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????

Let's see....it's something I'm doing wrong and the more I work with it the worst it gets.....

I get home tonight after last night's round at it and it's worst than ever. Okay.....wait a minute....I've been blaming the rubber washers/o-rings....but they are the correct ones as far as I can tell....so what else could it be?????

Well.......lets back up a bit. When I first mounted this thing the washer/o-ring for the bowl's bolt was trash. I asked around and couldn't find the correct one so I "jury" rigged one. I drilled out a faucet washer and it worked for the first 2000 miles. When I changed the oil this time I tried that same washer again but it leaked....so I drilled out another with out any luck this time. In the mean time I FINALLY found the correct washer/o-ring for the bowl bolt. The parts book calls it a washer but in fact it's actually more of a square o-ring but it's a weird one because it looks like a peice of tubing instead of the type of the square o-ring used for the bowl .....confussed yet?????

I'm lucky enough to have three of these filters here in the shop and THIS time I took a close look at the bowl itself and DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! there's my problem. With my jury rigged washer and several overtightenings.....I have deformed the bottom of the bowl....to the point that the correct washer doesn't work and I "think" the bolt is bottoming out and the bowl is not making it's seal.

So.......I swapped out the bowl for an un Gordoned one and we'll see how it works.

I LOVE these bikes......and to tell the truth it's these kind of things that is part of the joy for me. Figuring out how to make things work so I can keep these things on the road....sure makes me feel good.

Cheers.....hope your holidays are the BEST ever....Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 12/03/14 9:06 pm.

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
CLICK HERE to see VIDEO