BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
gREgg-K
gREgg-K
Ottawa, Canada
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Psychopasta, Dave Shotz, myB33, earlee, Ken Abrams
10784 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 65
DavidP 60
MarcB 51
Popular Topics(Views)
951,057 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,536
Posts675,970
Members10,784
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 381 guests, and 753 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Short ride out on the B50 #569148 10/26/14 2:45 pm
G
Gordon Gray Online Sad OP
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Finally got caught up on the B44 outfit and with my wood cutting/splitting/stacking and figured it was a good time to give the B50 a go.

I got the Trail Tech Endurance II hooked up so now I can tell how fast I'm going....I'm going to have to get a better helmet. smile

[Linked Image]

This Trail Tech is the second generation...I have the first on my B44 and after all these years it's still doing what it's supposed to do.

I just made a loop around the county, a little under 100 miles and the weather was beautiful and the colors were too.

[Linked Image]

The colors (leaves) will be gone soon and everything will look cold and bleak. Will have to pull the cold weather gear out so I can still get some seat time in.

[Linked Image]

Thanks to the kind Richard Hunt in the UK....I now have a beautiful B50 Home Market tank and the correct seat. Can't wait to get those sorted.

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed this fall weather.

Take care..just checking in...Gordon in NC

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/26/14 9:26 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569158 10/26/14 3:43 pm
Don Leaming Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Hi Gordon
Real pretty! So is the bike! We are well ahead of you up here in the frozen north. Went on at breakfast run this morning, about 45F, so the cold weather gear is already in use.
Soon it will be time to hang it up due to the cold and snow.
Cheers
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569186 10/26/14 7:05 pm
Ob1quixote Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Lookin' good!

'bout ready to pull the trigger on my B44, get that shifting problem straightened out and remove the OE tires for something a bit newer...

Can I interest you in an adventure ride around here? Pavement and dirt roads, no trail?

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Don Leaming] #569197 10/26/14 8:12 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Don Leaming
<snip> Soon it will be time to hang it up due to the cold and snow. Cheers Don

That's just more proof Don that the good Lord hates everybody that lives north of the Mason Dixon line!!! laughing

I'm still trying to figure out why in the heck anybody would go "ice fishing".....what kind of bait does ice hit on? confused laughing

Ob......could you come up with a route I could do on my outfit? Don't have much room on the B50 to haul stuff...but I REALLY like the idea of doing something this fall....and South Carolina's fall and winters are very doable. :bigt

Do you need anything for you're B44???.....I got plenty of gear sets.

Pokey (aka Gordon in NC)

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569200 10/26/14 8:29 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Dunno on needs quite yet, thinking it is a problem with the quadrant.

Got an organized ride in January, adding an adventure ride to the present dual sport event.
I would be more than happy to lend you a bed in my camper and a seat by my fire, and a spot on the ride as my guest {nice thing being a longstanding board member with my club!} Adventure ride is Saturday, while the DS is Saturday and Sunday.

Your rig will do just fine on the adventure route. It will be as much dirt roads as we can string together and pavement connections as required. There will be a theme to the en route destinations, not decided yet, but probably historical sites with photographic potential. Guessing in the 120-140 mile range.

We'll be putting out a flyer for the adventure ride soon, but the important info is on this DS flyer.

carolinadualsporters.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/broxton-ds-2015-rev-2-1pdf.pdf

Let me know, so's I can reserve your bed, or give it to someone else!

Oh, and you'll need one of these...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/30152/i/moose-racing-trophy-roll-chart-holder

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569203 10/26/14 8:46 pm
Richrd Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Went for the first test ride today on a b44 I resto'ed. It was the first time I ever started one with the first kick. It was so much fun I came home and threw a large porterhouse on the grill and opened a bottle of Smithwick.

Rich (last remaining member ThreeMustGetBeers)
"It's not always about going fast. Sometimes it's nice to slow down" (Wendy E.2016)

69 bonney
72 commando
75 commando interstate
06 Suzu..Suzu.. uh appliance
couple of beesas a ducati
and the Snake Bike
and a Honda?
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Richrd] #569206 10/26/14 9:05 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Ata boy Richrd.....BUT....pics or it didn't happen laughing

Ob.....looks like I'm out. Resigned my AMA membership (been a member for decades) when the AMA booted AHRMA....and I won't go back.

SC in the winter is wonderful.....most of the tourist are gone and so are a lot of the bugs. I'd still be interested in a trip down....it's just a hop, skip and a jump from here.

Pokey.....who proved again to himself today that the B50 hot start myth is just that....a myth.

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569208 10/26/14 9:09 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
AMA membership is not required.

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Ob1quixote] #569211 10/26/14 9:23 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
AMA membership is not required.

Okay.....I'm in. Just save me room by the fire and I'll bring camping gear.

January......and you'll keep me in the loop (pun intended).

Just gota figure out a route to stay off of 77/26/95 but I've traveled that part of the world a LOT.....and know there are plenty of two lane roads headed that way.

Pokey

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569214 10/26/14 9:40 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Trust me, I have no love of AMA. But, they do offer promoters rather attractive rates for insuring events.

Dont sweat the camping gear, bringing my camp trailer.

[Linked Image]

How do you like my television?

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569257 10/27/14 7:30 am
Don Leaming Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray

I'm still trying to figure out why in the heck anybody would go "ice fishing".....what kind of bait does ice hit on? confused laughing

Pokey (aka Gordon in NC)

Mostly we would bring lots of beer and scotch when we go "ice" fishing.
Cheers
Don

1965 Royal Enfield Interceptor
1969 Triumph Tiger 650
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569278 10/27/14 11:55 am
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

That's just more proof Don that the good Lord hates everybody that lives north of the Mason Dixon line!!! laughing

Pokey (aka Gordon in NC)

Every time I look at your pictures from this time of year I wonder the same thing myself......I'm about 2/3 of the way through cutting splitting and stacking my winter wood and it's kicking my a$$ this year...and the wife likes a warm house eek

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: MikeG] #569338 10/27/14 8:29 pm
Barb Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sorry, MikeG, but I can't help it.....thanks largely to a gentleman friend cleaning a wood-lot, and the fact that I own 1/2 interest in a wood-splitter, I have 10 cords split and stacked under cover! Heehee....

The rest of the story? This is probably the first time *ever* that I have two years worth of wood done before January, and I've had wood heat for about 40 years......

I was gonna mention that the wood was free, but upon reflection, it cost me a couple bottles of bourbon....(Gotta be creative with wood--Bella the Bonnie needs a new tire, and "First things first", right?)

Barb (Three MustGetBeers)
"Midnight girl in a sunset town.."

Britney the B44
Bella the '69 T120
Pip the Triumph (I have "Great Expectations!")
Jaelith the '77 XS650/chair
The unnamed '79 XS650 with...potential
Millie the R80 BMW--she's "Thoroughly Modern"
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Ob1quixote] #569340 10/27/14 8:33 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Ob...why would take a TV camping???? laughing That's what the fire's for.

Looks like it's less than 250 miles.....I can do that with my eyes closed.

Ice fishing.......I don't think I'll ever figure that one out. smile

Mike I used up two winters worth of wood last year...sure hope this year isn't the same. frown

I love my B50 and since Bill let me ride his at the OSMR I now have something to compare it to.

Best riding unit single BSA made IMO....hands down.

I will always have a soft spot for the Enduro Stars and Victor Specials.....but for now I'm okay with the B44VR and B50....nice combo to have and ride.

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/27/14 8:34 pm.
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569345 10/27/14 8:47 pm
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
GG, I play movies on the big screen Saturday nights, cycle oriented flix, entertain the campers.
Even got a popcorn machine!

I show up at the site on Thursday, finish up arrowing/staking/ribboning my section, and more than a bit of screwing around and campfire time. Load up and roll out Sunday about sundown.

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Ob1quixote] #569346 10/27/14 9:04 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Ob1quixote
GG, I play movies on the big screen Saturday nights, cycle oriented flix, entertain the campers.
Even got a popcorn machine! <snip>

Sounds like a hoot :bigt. I'll plan on taking Friday off and leave out of here early AM. 250 miles....with no mountains between here and there should be an easy day. Been down those roads a lot...601, 301, 321.....getting through Columbia (or maybe around it?) on a Friday is not going to be fun....but I'm up for the challenge. Heck, with all that straight flat road I should be able to make good time. Good thing peanut season will be over....they have some of the BEST boiled peanuts in that part of the country....little place on 321 just out of Columbia...man oh man I'd never make it all the way if the season was in.

Looking forward to it.....pokey

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569348 10/27/14 9:41 pm
Lannis Offline
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
That is one beautiful, sorted-looking motorcycle!

Lit the first fire of the year tonight. Went completely through my woodstove last weekend, cleaning it, patching a hole in the heat exchanger, cleaning out the catalytic combustor .... twenty years and the stove still looks like new despite constant use. I'll try for another 20 and then I'll be 80 years old and convert to propane!!

Lannis

Play stupid games ... Win stupid prizes!
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569406 10/28/14 10:07 am
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Life member
Lannis, perhaps we are getting a bit wimpey, but the fire on GARNET has been burning for 3 weeks! You have to remember that a steel hull rapidly cools to water temperature overnight (been some single digit nights too) and we got rather used to central heating with 35+ years in Ontario!
Nice bike Gordon, I am envious.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569718 10/30/14 4:13 pm
Roadwarrior Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I've said before that my B44 is my favorite ride. It doesn't go as fast as the T140, but the single is something special. Beautiful bike Gordon.

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Roadwarrior] #569726 10/30/14 5:45 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Boys....I want to thank you for the kind words. I'm happy with the way the bike turned out but it's still a 20 footer laughing.

If you get too close you'll find the scruffy bits. I wanted a rider....one I wouldn't have to worry to death over. Got nothing against REALLY nice bikes but they are not in the cards for me.

I would have thought that the B50 was just a B44 with a little more kick (pun intended) but I've found out it's a completely different bike altogether. IMO they are as different as night and day. I love my B44....always will, but this B50 has found a spot in my heart too.

Thanks again for the kind words, I'd be lying if I said it didn't mean anything to me to hear them. smile

Take care....Pokey (aka Gordon in NC)

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/30/14 5:46 pm.
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569786 10/31/14 7:07 am
kurt fischer Online Content
#irideslow
Online Content
#irideslow
If you get too close you'll find the scruffy bits. I wanted a rider....one I wouldn't have to worry to death over. Got nothing against REALLY nice bikes but they are not in the cards for me.

Very nice, Gordon, and, my sentiments exactly!

Is that a GIVI screen?

On the TrailTech, can you show & tell some details of the speedo sensor-sending installation? I'm thinking of one of those for my Bitsa 650.

Thanks,

Kurt

-- Don't believe everything you think.
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: kurt fischer] #569875 10/31/14 7:11 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Kurt...the windscreens I've used for years are Slip Streamer's "Spitfire". Never in all this time and many miles have I ever had a problem with them. Easy on and off and if mounted correctly no need for any other hardware than what comes with them. Because of the way it blocks the wind off your body core I can ride in at least 20 degree colder weather than without one.

I'll get a chance this weekend to take some pics of the pick up for the Trail Tech. The newer version is hooked to the battery so it stays backlit as long as your moving....with the older version you have to press a button to turn on the back light.
Keep in mind these are NOT bicycle speedos...they are made for motorcycles. I really like the info they keep stored for you and the easy to read display. I get about 2 years out of a battery...but with the new version...I'm not sure how that works because there's a battery in them too...plus a hook up to the bike's battery. I'll have to wait and see how well that works.

Photos later this weekend.....Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 10/31/14 7:14 pm.
Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #569899 10/31/14 11:40 pm
ricochetrider Offline
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Man that really is one sweet bike. I bet it's a real hoot to ride!
Thanks for posting, Gordon. Sorry it took me so long to see this.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: kurt fischer] #571164 11/09/14 11:19 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by kurt fischer
<snip> On the TrailTech, can you show & tell some details of the speedo sensor-sending installation? I'm thinking of one of those for my Bitsa 650. Thanks,

Sorry for taking so long to reply kurt. To be honest I was sort of embarrassed at the close up of the sensor on my B44...a close up of 47 year old paint...ain't pretty.

You just have to get the magnet close to the end of the sensor..on the B44 it was easy. Once you find a good spot...just add a little JB Weld ( or your choice of sticky stuff ) to help hold it in place. The B50 was a little harder to do but I ended up sticking the magnet to the end of a spoke and glueing it in place.

Here's the B50

[Linked Image]

Here's the B44

[Linked Image]

IMO...best money I ever spent on speedos.

Pokey

Re: Short ride out on the B50 [Re: Gordon Gray] #571171 11/09/14 11:40 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Yep....Ya'll know I'll reply to myself. smile

After looking at my OWN photos I ran back down to the shop and replaced that zip tie on the B50 that was on the sensor cable...and put it on the metal sensor instead, like the B44.

Thank's to me for helping me save me from me. confused

Pokey

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 11/09/14 12:36 pm.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership