BritBike Forum logo
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor

BritBike Sponsor
BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor BritBike Sponsor
JWood Auctions JRC Engineering dealers JWood Auctions
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
frugal
frugal
Wellsville,NY 14895
Show All Member Profiles 
Shout Box
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Who's Online Now
45 registered members (Al Eckstadt), 335 guests, and 398 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Gregg's Atv, T160vUK, Dadstoys, Carlo D'Angelo, butcherboy
10443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
NickL 69
franko 60
Popular Topics(Views)
730,809 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics68,548
Posts667,470
Members10,443
Most Online3,995
Feb 13th, 2017
Like BritBike.com on Facebook

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1929 Sloper oil feed to big end question [Re: tzrewinds] #649091
04/18/16 1:23 pm
04/18/16 1:23 pm
UK
J
jemsk Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
jemsk  Offline OP
BritBike Forum member
J

UK
Thanks very much tzrewinds, this is very useful info. I haven't visited here for quite some time as several of the earlier replies seem to be from people who have no first hand knowledge of early BSA engines but just want to pass critical comment

Support your #1 BSA Forum and our favorite sponsors

Check out BSA on e-bay: BSA Parts in UK, BSA Motorcycles in UK, BSA Parts in North America, BSA Motorcycles in North America

Re: 1929 Sloper oil feed to big end question [Re: jemsk] #649119
04/18/16 5:50 pm
04/18/16 5:50 pm
Cork Ireland
C
chaterlea25 Online content
BritBike Forum member
chaterlea25  Online Content
BritBike Forum member
C

Cork Ireland
Hi,
These bikes original pistons have no Oil ring of course, and there is no engine breathing,

Theres a drilling through the drive side mainshaft and out through the cush drive assembly to vent and lube the cush drive
I'm not very familiar with the sloper engines but have a couple of earlier L vertical engines, theres a breather on the drive side of the crankcase on these
I have rebuilt Blue star and Empire Star engines , but cannot remember the breathing arrangements
When the crankcase contains the oil reservoir theres more volume to accomodate crankcase pressure, but there has to be an outlet somewhere, theres no "seal" on the drive side bearing just a felt washer on some models which will also vent
The mid thirties BSA's have a spring loaded bronze plunger up against the mainshafts female taper end

The slopers were as far as I know the first BSA's to have an oil feed to the bigend, before that oil was just drippled into the crankcase and left to find its own way to the bearings and bushes
This was a common feature on most of the vintage era bike engines

Ariel engines have a small diamater quill sticking into the mainshaft end, no seal involved, centrifugal force sucks the oil to the bigend

Regards
John

Re: 1929 Sloper oil feed to big end question [Re: jemsk] #749202
09/14/18 10:07 pm
09/14/18 10:07 pm
Montreal, Canada
A
Art_Wozniak Offline
New poster
Art_Wozniak  Offline
New poster
A

Montreal, Canada
Hello, I have a BSA Sloper 500 OHV 1931. I was wondering how many a turn should I go for with the oil pressure screw? Can it be that too much pressure can cause a bit of oil getting into the cylinder head area?

Re: 1929 Sloper oil feed to big end question [Re: jemsk] #749219
09/15/18 1:07 am
09/15/18 1:07 am
Isle of Wight, UK
K
koan58 Offline
BritBike Forum member
koan58  Offline
BritBike Forum member
K

Isle of Wight, UK
From your pics, that shaft looks rough in all respects, not only does it have a partial thread on it, but the flats on the threads and the centre bore at the end look very rough. I really don't think those are original.
I have no doubt that the original shaft would have been a smooth and close fit to the bush. In which case it would work perfectly well for the B/E supply, as it does successfully in many designs.
I am more familiar with the similar setup in pre-unit Triumphs, which have a relatively high capacity pump. In your case, with a fairly small delivery pump to a roller B/E, I find it meaningless to speak "oil pressure on my tank-mounted gauge drops from 3 to 1 PSI as the seal eases off". I really cannot see the pump generating any significant pressure, with a "seal" between nut and bush or not.
What is that seal between nut and bush? It is not evident in the diagram kindly posted. All I can see is a concavity of the bush face. That is curious though, anyone know the reason for it?
"(At least the spiral tends to push the oil back in to the bush eh!)"
As best I can see, it's a left hand thread on that shaft. I don't know if the engine runs "backwards", but if not, then not so, so the thread had a tendency to divert the oil flow from the supply to the timing case.
With a small delivery pump, this is not good.
Kom's mechanism is fine with full flow, but in this system there are air gaps. The air will so easily escape via the clearances and threads.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Allan Gill, Jon W. Whitley 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | "OLD" BritBike Forum | DVD- Manuals & Parts books | BritBike Stickers & Decals
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership