BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
441DailyRide
441DailyRide
BrisVegas, Oz
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
Carl Courson, Roddy Walsh, Mark Creighton, Alex Lynch, B Mac
10777 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 128
NickL 64
MarcB 52
DavidP 52
Popular Topics(Views)
949,683 mail-order LSR
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,513
Posts675,772
Members10,776
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
62 registered members (998John), 289 guests, and 835 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires #560126 08/25/14 5:48 pm
G
Gordon Gray Online Sad OP
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
I thought I would start a new thread and not clog up our photo page with a lot of tire info. We'll get our new moderator to move those other posts over to here. smile

I need a new rear tire for my B44VR Sidecar Outfit. The 1967 B44VR uses a 3.25 x 18 front and a 3.50 x 18 rear. Without checking I think both rims are WM-2.

I can find a 4.00 x 18 sidecar rated tire and it probably would fit the rim...I just don't like doing that kind of stuff. I figure BSA used a 3.50 for a reason. When I got the bike it had a 4.50 on the rear....and I kept it on there until it was used up.

Don mentioned speed rated trials tires...never heard of that. The modern trials tires I used had VERY soft sidewalls...you wanted the tire to "wrap" around rocks and stuff.

Avon makes a street tire in sizes to fit the VR...but that seems to be a waist of money. I want something with a square profile.

Open for discussion.....help please.

Gordon 1967 BSA B44VR w/ a 1970ish Velorex

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/25/14 5:50 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560142 08/25/14 7:53 pm
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: D.Bachtel] #560144 08/25/14 8:04 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
OUCH!!!! visions of road rash. shocked

Those tires might work fine with modern Ural rims....but you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to mount another one of those on any of my motorcycles.

Been there Don.....and watched both tire beads roll off the front rim. I suspect the sidewalls were too thin on the ones I had.

Not going to go there again.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/25/14 8:05 pm.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560147 08/25/14 8:13 pm
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by Gordon Gray
OUCH!!!! visions of road rash. shocked

Those tires might work fine with modern Ural rims....but you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to mount another one of those on any of my motorcycles.

Been there Don.....and watched both tire beads roll off the front rim. I suspect the sidewalls were too thin on the ones I had.

Not going to go there again.

Gordon

I've got trials tires on the Greevorex and on the Zundapp, no failure yet. Sidewalls are 4 ply.

Think of the old Trailwings they put on the first "dualsports".

Here... look at these.

http://heidenautires.com/dual-sport-tires/

Don in Nipomo

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: D.Bachtel] #560154 08/25/14 8:48 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Don....all it took to take me out was one of those little cork board tacks with the small plastic end....and remember I had a forum member following me and saw the whole thing...so I'm not making it up.

I'm sure there are thousands of them on the road doing well...but I'll never own another Duro.

Gordon

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560162 08/25/14 9:37 pm
B
BOB in NW PA Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Gordon - Don't know if they're still available, but I run a Metzeler Block K 4.00 x 18 sidecar tire on the rear of my BSA/Squire rig, with a flat 4" wide contact patch on the road. If you ride your bike without the chair attached, be very careful, as it gets a little "squirelly" when you come off the cornered edge. Back in the day, guys would run 4 identical Block Ks (front, rear, chair & spare), on their Moto Guzzis and Urals. If you go this route your speedometer will be slower than actual, due to the greater circumference of the tire and changed gearing, not a big problem with these big thumpers.

Bob Kent
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: BOB in NW PA] #560169 08/25/14 10:12 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Hey Mr Bob.....I like the looks of that tire. Found it at Bike Bandit for $103 shipped. Not bad at all. BUT....I'm not feeling warm and fuzzy about a 4.00 mounted to a WM-2 rim. I'm thinking the 3.50 is max?????

(Now here's where somebody chimes in and says he's run a 4.50 and heck a 5.00 on a WM-2 for YEARS and never had a problem)

Where's Stuart or Mr Healy when you need them?

I gave up on Smiths a long time ago and run an off road motorcycle computer for my speedo. Keeps track of a lot of info and so far...has never let me down. You program in tire size.

Thank you Mr Bob......your friend in NC, Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/25/14 10:15 pm.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560185 08/25/14 11:39 pm
O
old mule Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
O
I have always used Avon Sidecar Triple Duty tires on my Bonneville outfit, 19 inch only. Great wear, good traction, very good in the rain. Square profile.
I have used them on the (19") rear also but they wear too fast, so I switched to the Avon Safety Master, wider, heavier tread, but slightly taller.
For a light outfit like a BSA single I am sure the Sidecar Triple Duty would be fine on the rear, if you are running a 19.
Metzeler still makes Block K and Block C sidecar tires, but they are 18" only, I think.
Dunlop still makes the square profile 16" sidecar racing tires and if I were building an outfit today, it would have those. Lowering an outfit makes such a huge difference in handling...

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560188 08/26/14 12:06 am
Steve Erickson Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Gordon, didn't that bike come to you with a WM-3 on it? I remember us talking about me sending you a WM-2 for VR originality, but can't remember if we follwed through on it.

3.50 is supposedly the max for WM-2, but as you say, I've seen some that exceeded.

So, don't you have a spare WM-3 that you can use? BSA "engineering" specs are probably history with the addition of a sidecar anyway, I'd suppose, and this is a pretty minor change...

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560207 08/26/14 6:57 am
58thunderbird Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
First up can I just say thanks for a sidecar forum! When I get home from holidays I will add some photos of mine. Back to the tires. I use the Metzeler K Block on my 58 Thunderbird on all 3 corners. My rims are WM3X18 but I'd try one on a WM2 and see how you go. Last time I bought one (12 months ago) I was told that they were no longer making them and they're getting hard to get. I hope that's not true. I've found that they last for ever on the front and on the chair but the rear wore out in about 3000 miles. I've also tried one on the front of my racing sidecar but it offered little grip. But it did last! Hope that helps
Pete.

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: 58thunderbird] #560210 08/26/14 7:14 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Thanks for the reply Pete, looking forward to those photos of your outfit.

I do like the looks of the Metzeler K Block and so far that one would be my first choice.

Steve....YES, you sent me a VERY good WM-2 rim that still had a good tire on it. As a matter of fact they both are on the bike now. I was sort of happy to hear Pete say he only got 3000 out of a new rear tire....because I got at least 2500 out of the one you sent me. BUT, I'm not going to be so happy when I'm paying for them. smile I can't remember WHY you sent it. The bike had a WM-2 on it but had a pretty bad section of chrome.....AND had a 4.50 mounted on it. (if I remember correctly?) I do remember the rim was the correct size but the tire wasn't. I did run it that way until I wore the tire out....and then replaced it with the correct size.

I got a lot of spares but not a lot of GOOD rims/wheels. Most of mine are at least straight....but with crappy chrome.

I need to replace my rear tire before I go to the OSMR....and I'm still thinking it over. I have 18" rims on the front and rear of the bike and the stock 16" on the sidecar....so the chance I'll be able to use the same brand/size on all three is slim to none.....but boy that would be the way to go.

Thanks for the help fellows.....I have some options now to think about.

Gordon in NC, USA 1967 BSA B44VR w/1970ish Velorex, cargo only.

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/26/14 7:18 am.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: D.Bachtel] #560218 08/26/14 8:49 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by D.Bachtel

Don, I like the looks of their K34 and I've heard good stuff about the brand ( Heidenau ). I also like the fact that the K34 comes in both sizes I need and the brand also has a tire to fit the Velorex.

Good information there....thanks for that.

I'm not going to go around bashing Duro tires....because I know there must be plenty of them out there that are doing just fine. But with all the other choices out there I'm going to stay away from them.

Take care.....Gordon in NC 1967 BSA B44VR w/1970ish Velorex, cargo only (the only way to camp laughing )

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/27/14 12:18 pm.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Steve Erickson] #560221 08/26/14 9:04 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Steve Erickson
<snip> So, don't you have a spare WM-3 that you can use? BSA "engineering" specs are probably history with the addition of a sidecar anyway, I'd suppose, and this is a pretty minor change...

I've been thinking this one over and was trying to remember why I haven't done that already. blush

I haven't had time to check but I "think" the VR and SS (67-70)used the same WM-2 rear rim.

You know me.....I figure there HAD to be a good reason for it.

But it is something to think about.

Gordon, 1967 BSA B44VR w/1970ish Velorex

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/26/14 10:52 am.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #560244 08/26/14 12:23 pm
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member

Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: D.Bachtel] #560246 08/26/14 1:05 pm
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
Keep them comming Don. I think I'm going with the Heidenau K34. I'm liking everything I'm reading about them.

If I used a WM-3 rear rim I would be using the Metzeler K Block on all three wheels.

I sorta wanted to start this thread to help with a outfit tire search.

Thanks for the help.

Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/27/14 12:11 pm.
Re: BritBike Sidecar Outfit Tires [Re: Gordon Gray] #561502 09/03/14 10:56 am
G
Life Member
OP Online Sad
Life Member
G
I want to thank every body that took the time to reply to this thread. I think it will be of some help to others in the long run. :bigt

For now I decided to go the "cheap" route and just match the newer tire I already have on the front. Nothing special but they do get good reviews.

Then once I'm back from the OSMR and have the hauler off and the chair back on I'm going to work on upgrading my tires and wheels.
I want to go with the Metzeler K Block for the rear which means I need to replace the WM-2 rim with a WM-3. The front will get a Metzeler C Block one size up from where it is now, from a 3.25x18 to a 3.50x18. I also found a broken rear spoke.....something I've heard about happening to outfit wheels so I want to up grade to larger spokes on both wheels. Too much to try to do right now with time running out on me trying to get ready for the OSMR but something to do once I get back.

I like the fact that the Metzeler K Blocks are made for outfits and that so many people use them with good results.

Thanks again got the help and advice, Gordon

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 09/03/14 10:57 am.

Moderated by  Barb 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership