BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorThe Bonneville ShopBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments.
Buy BritBike staff a coffee
Buy BritBike's staff a coffeeStill here since 1996 serving BritBike enthusiasts..
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
Member Spotlight
Stephen Benson
Stephen Benson
Cheshire UK
Show All Member Profiles 
Newest Members
GoTriples, Jan Hellinge, Lucas Barwick, NTB31, B. Hunt
10827 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
franko 140
NickL 75
reverb 61
DavidP 60
Popular Topics(Views)
974,282 mail-order LSR
a word from..
Forum Statistics
Forums34
Topics67,394
Posts677,439
Members10,827
Most Online14,755
May 5th, 2019
Who's Online Now
85 registered members (Adam M.), 446 guests, and 799 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum #557721 08/10/14 7:17 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
I posted this first in "British Motorcycle in General" and got no reponse so I thought I'd try it here.

I was just wondering if there would be any interest in having an OUTFIT/SIDECAR specific FOURM here on BritBike.com?

I know there are several of you out there that have rigs/outfits that we have read about and my guess is there's a few more out there that we haven't. I also feel there might be a memeber or two who could benefit from the type of information that could be stored on such a forum.

I've asked Morgan about it and he's asked me to bring it up for discussion.

SO......if you'd like a specicic place to share photos and information about sidecars/outfits mounted on British bikes.....PLEASE speak up.

rob, Bryan, Bob, Don, Nick, Geoff....anybody..... What do you guys and gals think?

As a teaser.....see if you can find a bb.com member in this short video. (I know this video isn't BritBike specific but I just couldn't help it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psVxbLtGX-w

Thank you for your time, Gordon in NC

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale:
British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK
British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557723 08/10/14 7:25 pm
HughdeMann Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'm all for it. You've got me thinking I need one on the 500.

Hugh: Proof the Dodo is not extinct
1964 Bonneville
A couple others
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557724 08/10/14 7:26 pm
Ob1quixote Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Anything to help fellow BritBikers carry extra oil!

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Ob1quixote] #557727 08/10/14 7:41 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
If I'm counting correctly we could have details for mounting on

Greeves, M21, A65, A10, B50 and B44 with just the few rigs on site that I know of now.

I can't find any place on line (not yet) that deals in just rigs on Brit Bikes.

I've been saving up photos of the camping gear you can haul with one and was waiting until I had a place to post it where it won't get lost. For our next camping trip (see ya then Hugh smile ) in a couple of weeks I'll try to post some more Sidecar Camping photos.

For the 2014 OSMR I'm going to try something that has been on my mind for a long time and I just might be able to pull it off this year.

Sub Frames

No Sub Frames

Chair Types

Mounting Tips

Riding Tips

It would be nice if we had a place to store this type of information for someone looking to run a Brit rig for the first time.

Just a thought.....and yes Obi.....a man can carry PLENTY of oil and spares in one laughing and that's a good thing when you're dealing with the kinda bikes I ride.

Thanks again for your time.......Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557743 08/10/14 9:24 pm
D.Bachtel Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
:bigt Sure why not, I like sidecars.
As long as an occasional intrusion of a German bike and a Danish sidecar doesn't bother anyone... much.

Gordon, I've seen that guy on the video a few times...
mostly when I drive by storefront windows.

Don in Nipomo

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: D.Bachtel] #557790 08/11/14 7:34 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Yea Don, I was watching some sidecar videos and ran across those....figured there was a chance I'd see you in one of them and then BAM.....you rode right across the screen.

I'm going to give this thread/idea a week and see how it goes. We'll need some more traffic before I'd ask Morgan to go to the trouble.

BUT....I think the interest is there and it would be nice to have some of this information in one place. There's PLENTY of stuff online but you have to hunt for it. I won't forget how lost I was when you mentioned "sub frame" and it took a while to figure out what you were talking about.

Oh well....we'll wait and see how it goes.

STILL raining here today.....and it's coming down in BUCKETS right now...been raining for three days....my yard is a swamp and the zoo smells like damp dogs... sick

See ya...............Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557808 08/11/14 9:55 am
M
Mr Mike Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
M
Gordon,
I could go for it. I like your idea of a unit single with sidecar rig and I have a B44e that is just waiting for me to get motivated.

Mr Mike

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557813 08/11/14 10:29 am
B
BOB in NW PA Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
B
Seems like a go to me. You already have pictures of my BritBike outfit. Sure wish there was something like this proposed forum around when I was just starting to build my B60 outfit. I tried to educate myself thru 5 pamphlets I got from the US sidecar group, did my homework. Thought I had created a "monster" the 1st 30 miles, but things worked out AOK with practice. That was over 20 years ago, and all I ride now, with the nimble Mrs. K as ballast. You might want to add a category for Brit racing sidecars, there were many notable ones. Good Luck with your endeavors, your friend in Crawford County, PA

Bob Kent
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Mr Mike] #557814 08/11/14 10:30 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Thanks Mr Mike,

I have a bad habit of going a bit overboard on some stuff and I know (and everybody else should by now) I'm still VERY new to this "outfit" deal but I swear I can't see myself without one now that I've finally tried it. So far there are so many reasons to like it.

I would like to have some of our members share (with photo's and text) some of their rig attachments. For example I've seen several photo's of Geoff's rig....but never any real details how the rig is attached. Somebody wanting to try it would find information like that very helpful.

I also have a feeling there are a few more rigs (British) out there that we haven't had a chance to see.

I know it's not for everybody.....but the darn things are sure fun IMO and have a lot going for them.

Always Slow????? Well, with Nick on board we'll have that covered

Take care......a wet and wild Gordon in another part of NC

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: BOB in NW PA] #557816 08/11/14 10:46 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Bob,

We must have been typing at the same time. smile

You've hit the nail on the head. There's plenty of information out there but you have to dig it up and finding something that's British Only is almost impossible (well, it might be out there but I haven't found it yet).

Having a forum where we can store some info would be helpful to others.

It's still just a thought....and I know it's not for everybody but if there's enough interest then it might be worth going to the trouble.

Take care......your friend in a wet NC, Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557818 08/11/14 10:56 am
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
See how I can get carried away? blush I'm replying to myself!

It's interesting how this site works sometimes. When I mentioned this to Morgan he suggested we could post "outfit topics" on the "British Motorcycles in General" so that's where I posted this thread to begin with (it's deleted from there now.) That first post is a day older than this one on the "Rod and Tappet" but had 0 replies and only 39 views. I copied the post and since it been on the "Rod and Tappet" it has 9 replies and 104 views.

Location, location, location...... smile

We'll give it a week and see how it goes before going back to Morgan with it.......Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557819 08/11/14 10:57 am
Mike Muir Offline
Life member
Life member
Sounds like a plan to me.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557831 08/11/14 11:57 am
tbird649 Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Sounds like a great idea to me, although I will have to be a "lurker", as I have a Ural outfit. (stop sniggering at the back please) I'm sure there will be many gems of information that come up that are of interest to all sidecaristes. Like you Gordon, I have only had my outfit for 18 months, I have been amazed at how much I enjoy sidecaring. (So does Monty, my dog)

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: tbird649] #557837 08/11/14 12:34 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by tbird649
<snip> although I will have to be a "lurker", as I have a Ural outfit.<snip>

Hey tbird649, you'll not get off THAT easy... laughing

I see a lot of rigs using a Ural chair.....so there will be questions to answer about them....and you'll have to step up.

I'd like to set up a list of chairs that are known to work on Brit bikes.....not sure about the weight of a Ural...but I know I've seen it mounted to some smaller bikes.

When the time comes......we'll be asking YOU questions!!! smile

Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Mike Muir] #557839 08/11/14 12:38 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Mike Muir
Sounds like a plan to me.

:bigt Thank you Mike....Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557841 08/11/14 12:45 pm
Alex Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
Hey. I asked for a Rudge forum first.

grin

A smattering:
'53 Gold Flash
'67 Royal Star
'71 Rickman Metisse
'40 Silver Star
'37 Rudge Special
sixtyseventy Lightboltrocket road racer...and many more.
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Alex] #557844 08/11/14 1:07 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by Alex
Hey. I asked for a Rudge forum first.

grin

Damnit....where's that emoticon where the fellow has his thumbs in his ears and he's sticking his tongue out when you need it? laughing

Gordon....the squeekest (sp?) wheel gets oiled first? clap

Last edited by Gordon Gray; 08/11/14 4:58 pm.
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557847 08/11/14 2:11 pm
MikeG Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
I'd go for it Gordon...I have a spare A10 chassis I'd like to do SOMETHING with.

1960 BSA A10
2007 Suzuki Bandit
1957 A10
(Used to be a Triumph here)
71 Norton Commando
17 Triumph Bonneville

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557862 08/11/14 3:45 pm
lightningrob Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
yes I also have mentioned it in a recent post.
sidecar forum yes please

Keep'a'troshin
BSA A10R 1961
BSA B31 1956
BSA D7 1966
BSA D10S 1967
BSA M21 1953
BSA A10 Golden Flash 1954
BMW R80/7 1980
BMW R100RT 1983
Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: lightningrob] #557877 08/11/14 5:08 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by lightningrob
yes I also have mentioned it in a recent post. sidecar forum yes please

Yes you did and maybe that's where the seed got planted. :bigt

We're rolling now fellows....keep em coming and we'll count heads at the end of the week.

Thank you rob......Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: MikeG] #557880 08/11/14 5:20 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
Originally Posted by MikeG
I'd go for it Gordon...I have a spare A10 chassis I'd like to do SOMETHING with.

[Linked Image]

Give ya any ideas?????? laughing

See ya in the fall.....GG

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557881 08/11/14 5:23 pm
G
Gordon Gray Offline OP
Life Member
OP Offline
Life Member
G
This has always been my favorite outfit photo (so far)

[Linked Image]

Because of who took it, the rig itself and who's riding it.

Nice heh?

Gordon

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Gordon Gray] #557917 08/11/14 9:29 pm
Tridentman Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
A sidecar forum?--yes--good idea.
I started my motorcycling career on a BSA Bantam in England.
Then quickly progressed to an A7 Shooting Star.
Then came complications of house ownership, dog etc.
So I bought a 1954 BSA Golden Flash with a Watsonian Monza chair on it.
Soon it was too small so I bought an A10 and (separately) a Watsonian Palma child/adult sidecar.
My late then father in law (who had a Vincent Comet/Bulmar double adult outfit in the 1950s) showed me how to set up the outfit--toe in, sidecar wheel lead, lean out etc (guess not many people can do that these days). That became my families sole form of transport in England for quite a few years. It was ride to work and ride on vacation. Vacation memories--riding this tatty looking outfit along the quayside in St Tropez in the south of France (this when Brigitte Bardot was the thing)with all the expensive yachts and the bright young things in their bikinis and then riding down the Champs Elysees in Paris with the front fender tied to the rear carrier because the brackets had vibrated to pieces.
But then a car inevitably followed and after some years I moved to US.
Then at the International Motorcycle Show in NYC in early 2005 I saw the Ural sidecar outfits.
Was taken and bought one in July 2005--which I have to this day.
So no longer a Brit outfit rider (although I have Brit solos) but certainly a current outfit rider and with memories and knowledge of Brit outfits.
So--sidecar forum?--yes please--I would certainly read the threads and contribute when I could.
HTH

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: Tridentman] #557919 08/11/14 9:47 pm
L
limeyrider Offline
BritBike Forum member
BritBike Forum member
L
Tridentman .. your knowledge of PROPERLY setting up an outfit will be invaluable ! ... you are right, that is now a lost art.
I have happy memories of my first bike in the UK, a B33 with a sidecar chassis attached ... legal ride for a learner in those days. In the country lanes of Northeast England I was a match for Max Deubel,Florian Camathias, Chris Vincent etc. ... in my immature brain anyway !.

James.

Re: Just wondering.............outfit/sidecar forum [Re: limeyrider] #557923 08/11/14 9:59 pm
shel Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Online Content
BritBike Forum member
Originally Posted by limeyrider
Tridentman .. your knowledge of PROPERLY setting up an outfit will be invaluable !

I couldn't agree more.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Alan_nc, Graham Ham 

Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Premium Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
BritBike Sponsor