BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite Pistons
BritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson
The Northwoods... Michigan
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
fork seals ?
#545776 05/29/14 2:49 am
tiprat Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
hi guys ,I have a 1969 tr6r ,the fork seal is leaking so its time to fix it , the plan is to leave the forks on the triple tree and,,,,first remove the front fender,un screw the seal holder,then remove the wheel,,then pull hard on the lower leg and remove it,,am I missing anything ??in my Haynes manual it does not show any internal springs only outer springs which I have , the last time I changed the fork oil when I removed the screw cap to fill with oil I had to push the cap down on the inner spring to pick up the tread on the fork tube is this right as its not like that in my manual.allso the front is diving under heavy breaking so in thinking I need new outer springs whats your thinking on this ,if I do get new heavy duty outer springs will I have any trubble when I refit the bottom legs to the forks ,,,

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: fork seals ?
tiprat #545779 05/29/14 4:56 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes that will work, that is until you see the wear on the tube where the seal runs wink

Check you springs against the factory manual figures, if in spec use thicker fork oil as new springs will only help if the old ones are weak.

Re: fork seals ?
tiprat #546117 05/31/14 5:28 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I don't have any inner springs on mine.

Ed
1970 Bonneville

Moderated by  John Healy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Gold Membership | Premium Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership