BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
TJD
TJD
Devonport Tasmania
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#525823 02/01/14 2:43 pm
M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Just got my Spitfire home and ready for restoration and its in a poor state, frame has been mutilated and a lot of brackets missing ie all the seat brackets battery box brackets tank brackets even the side stand lug has been removed lol, sure I can replace everything but I am looking for someone who has a scrap frame as I will need a complete lug for the stand.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by malla1962; 02/01/14 2:44 pm.
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Malla,
Are you IN Mich. yet? Or still over the pond?

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Rickman
Malla,
Are you IN Mich. yet? Or still over the pond?
im in the uk mate

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Bike is now stripped down and as you can see there's a lot of brackets and lugs to make for the frame. If anybody has a junk frame out there I really need a sidestand lug.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I have made a lug out of scrap steel and fitted in very successfully. The most difficult part of the job was getting the position and angle correct. Not so bad when you have access to another frame and the new stand. Indeed made the stand from scrap as well. The end result is perfect and no-one has ever yet realised neither are original, you simply can never tell.

With the stand sitting as it is you should be able to have a new lug attached in less than an hour. I just used a bit of 3mm I guess it would have been, using two halves welded together to form the lug but with the other end splayed apart and shaped to go around the frame tube.

It just needs the hole drilled, shaping for the stop and then some final welding and grinding. A splash of paint and the job is done.

I can't see how working with a donor frame can be any quicker or better. You will be doing some other lugs and repairs anyway and the sidestand one is very straightforward. The secret is not to damage the stands in the first place. It is trying to start the bike on the stands that causes all the grief.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I made one for my T150 out of a 1/2" piece of steel

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yes, another good job. That reminded me of what I started with. My damage was so severe the wrap-around portion had ripped open a hole in the frame tube.
There would be no reason not to attach a lug in your manner if the actual attach part were still sound. As we can see that makes the job even easier yet.

Last edited by Kevin (NZ).; 02/12/14 5:43 pm.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It's been okay for 5 years but I'm careful not to start it on the stand.

When given the choice between two evils I picked the one I haven't tried before
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I can't see how you could ever break that weld under normal use. I think it is neglect that allows the bike to lean further and further over that eventually just overloads the whole affair. With the bike sitting pretty well upright, and a little commonsense, the stand would be ok forever.

The owners of today are generally a little older and wiser than those of decades ago. I suspect much of the damage was done in the 70's. It has been a long time since I saw any BSA with a stand issue.

Last edited by Kevin (NZ).; 02/12/14 5:47 pm.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Kevin (NZ).
I have made a lug out of scrap steel and fitted in very successfully. The most difficult part of the job was getting the position and angle correct. Not so bad when you have access to another frame and the new stand. Indeed made the stand from scrap as well. The end result is perfect and no-one has ever yet realised neither are original, you simply can never tell.

With the stand sitting as it is you should be able to have a new lug attached in less than an hour. I just used a bit of 3mm I guess it would have been, using two halves welded together to form the lug but with the other end splayed apart and shaped to go around the frame tube.

It just needs the hole drilled, shaping for the stop and then some final welding and grinding. A splash of paint and the job is done.

I can't see how working with a donor frame can be any quicker or better. You will be doing some other lugs and repairs anyway and the sidestand one is very straightforward. The secret is not to damage the stands in the first place. It is trying to start the bike on the stands that causes all the grief.
if I can't find one I will make one, as you can see I have a lot to make, good thing is I have a perfect frame here to copy off.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
It works best to have the frame on wheels and tires, as well as the center stand on to get the correct angle both ways with the side stand lug.

I've had to repair several, most of which had too much angle, so the bike leaned over on the stand way too far. Even lugs original from the factory, I've had to cut 3/4 the way thru and push them down, weld it up, for a more vertical set of the bike. After installation of the lug, the stand can be re-curved to fine tune the bike sitting angle.

Also, I've had to cut the lug and reposition some that were cobbled up on a repair job that had too much twist downward toward the rear. So, when the side stand was folded, it was too low and nearly drug the ground in a left lean over turn. With the bike sitting on the center stand (return spring installed) the side stand, when folded up, should not be lower than about midway on the center stand spring. Higher is better.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Gary E
It works best to have the frame on wheels and tires, as well as the center stand on to get the correct angle both ways with the side stand lug.

I've had to repair several, most of which had too much angle, so the bike leaned over on the stand way too far. Even lugs original from the factory, I've had to cut 3/4 the way thru and push them down, weld it up, for a more vertical set of the bike. After installation of the lug, the stand can be re-curved to fine tune the bike sitting angle.

Also, I've had to cut the lug and repoistion some that were cobbled up on a repair job that had too much twist downward toward the rear. So, when the side stand was folded, it was too low and nearly drug the ground in a left lean over turn. With the bike sitting on the center stand (return spring installed) the side stand, when folded up, should not be lower than about midway on the center stand spring. Higher is better.
I will make a simple jig for the lug angle using my other frame

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Just made a start on tidying up the frame and making the seat bracket.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Nice work malla. watching this resto will hopefully get me motivated and start up again on my 1968 Spitfire.

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
had a bit of spare time today so I made a jig for the sidestand lug using my spare frame.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
The start of what will be the rear brackets for the seat.

[Linked Image]

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Little bit more done this morning,side stand lug on.
[Linked Image]

A mate of mine had a scrap t150 frame with a broken side stand lug so he let me chop off the casting.
[Linked Image]

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
Seat fittings now in place and welded up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
nice work!

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
3 more brackets fitted today just 3 more to go.
[Linked Image]

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Nice fabrication work, Malla. You make it look easy, when it is anything but!

Ray

'64 TR6R Plus some Twins from other countries (U.S., Germany, Japan)
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Joining to follow along on this one having a Bitsa MKIII myself... Will be nice to compare notes wink

'67 BSA Spitfire MkIII
'67 BSA Victor Roadster
'81 Honda GL1100
'80 Suzuki GS750
'72 Honda CB450 K5
'81 Honda CB750
M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
back on it pics to follow

M
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
M
this one is a interesting mod lol a home made sump plate, i forgot to take a pic of this mess before hitting it with the tig set.[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I made some longer studs for the new sump plate.

Last edited by malla1962; 04/12/15 5:02 pm.

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books