BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
SteveM
SteveM
Austin, KY, USA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Steve, I see you pulled the carb. Those things need to be refitted very carefully o avoid doing any permanent damage. You don't want an air leak but also you must avoid uneven or over-tightening of the nuts.

The bike is only minutes away from running sweetly. You just need to identify the problem area and rectify that. The more that is disturbed in the process may make any further faultfinding more difficult.

The alternator has little to do with the bike running properly.

You need to be considering technique and the diagnostic guide Lannis posted earlier.

Same applies to the clutch, as long as you are kicking the engine over without slippage is fine for now. Once the bike is starting first or second kick is the time to move onto other areas.

Has the new battery helped in any way, do you have voltage readings for us now ?

The earlier problem was a stuffed battery. The bike has been worked on and not sat sitting for years so I would expect a new battery to fix the problem.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Easy fellers. I'm the only one allowed to be an idiot on here laughing

Remember it's the Internet, so it's not worth getting your knickers off for! laughing

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
This weekend, we reset the timing (off only a little bit), adjusted the clutch, reset the valves (off a bit), and checked all of the electrical connections (none off, but a few were kind of hinky.)

1st or 2nd kick, bike fires right up!

Thank you for the help, gentlemen!

2005 Triumph America
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
Life member
Life member
Yes! Always love that feeling when a problem is solved.

Can you pin it down to one particular thing that caused the difficult starting?

You're going to enjoy riding that BSA.

edit: gotta change your sig. though, 1970 BSA Thunderbolt :bigt

Last edited by Two Alpha; 02/10/14 1:07 pm.

BSA
Matchless
Triumph
S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
Haha, good point.

Yeah, it's a blast to ride. On a purely aesthetic note: I'm thinking about ditching the side covers. The oil tank/tool bag look great, but the battery is a bit of an eye sore. Anybody have any recommendations for custom battery boxes to give the bike a bit more personality?

2005 Triumph America
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
Life member
Life member
If it was me, I would gravitate more towards the original style. These bikes aren't lacking for personality or character, especially now that they're so badly outnumbered on the road.
How about black sidecovers with these 1970 decals?
I'd be tempted to get rid of the green in the badges as well, maybe go with the gold background, that would look sharp.

[Linked Image]

BSA
Matchless
Triumph
O
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
O
Congratulations on sorting out your problem. Great feeling when you get it straight -- you don't get that with modern cars.

Personally, I think your side covers and tank look great. If you are into paint, you might try painting the silver part black or a contrasting green. A touch of the same color on the gas tank maybe? Remember, light colors accentuate things and make them look bigger, dark colors make them blend in. The paint job you have does a good job of emphasizing the engine.

There are a couple of guys who post here who have nice looking handmade side covers. One fellow made them an oval shape, another used folded flat aluminum sheet. Once I saw an A65 with A10 oil tank and tool box. Looked great but A10 parts are not so plentiful nowadays and pricey.

How about folding a sheet of aluminum to cover the battery, polish it up and use a leather strap to retain the battery. Would look good in tan or black, and a polished brass buckle would look great.

If you cut the brackets off, IMO that would reduce the chance of getting a good price when you sell. Modify only if you are committed to a long term relationship. BTW, the points are pretty easy to live with, especially if you have a timing light and know how to use it.

This Forum is the greatest thing around. Go back and read all you can stand, including British Bikes In General. Many hours of time wasting entertainment.

Good luck and keep us updated.

B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
[Linked Image]
I didn't like my side covers either, so this is what I did.
JW

S
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
S
I'm working on replacing the gaskets on my 1970 A65 Thunderbolt; Does anyone have an exploded view of this?

2005 Triumph America
1970 BSA Thunderbolt
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Richrd 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books