BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Welcome to BritBike Forum!
Member Spotlight
Beach
Beach
West Virginia, United States
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
jls Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Hi On a '69 BSA A65, will a tls brake from a '70s bike fit straight in, or are mods (or new forks) needed? Thanks, John

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
If it really is a 1969 then it should have the same setup as a 1970. I believe the 1970 Triumph brake will fit a 1969 A65 but other here will soon chip in.

Do you have 1969 forks but are just missing a wheel ?

Oh, you are talking sls...

Are you thinking of fitting a conical hub tls wheel then ?

Last edited by Kevin (NZ).; 02/02/14 10:35 pm.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

S
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
S
Hi John,

Originally Posted by jls
a tls brake from a '70s bike

What are we talking about, a '71/'72 conical hub (after '72, essentially there are only Triumphs and front disc brakes)?

Regards,

J
jls Offline OP
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
J
Hi Sorry, I should have checked a bit closer before posting. I dont think the current front end is original - SLS brake and axle passes thru lower fork legs. Can I fit a TLS wheel and axle by just changing the lower fork legs to the latter type that have U bolts at the bottom to fix axle in place?
(Someone told me the fork legs are wider apart and will need to change whole front end). Thanks.

Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I saw you mention sls and wondered what you understood of the term then.
The front end you are describing sounds like a 1966, 1967 or 1968.
The 1968 Thunderbolt had the older brake but the twin carb versions had the different fork sliders and tls brake.

You may need to either change the entire front end to go to the 1969/70 'Triumph' style forks and brake.

If you have a rod dampened set-up as I suspect then you could also have the option of going to the 1968 sliders with 68 or 69/70 tls brake.

The easer and more original option would be to find the later front end.

Your axles screws through the forks and hub with a left hand thread and pinch bolts.
If you place your finger directly below the axle, at the bottom of the slider... cam you feel a hole each side ?
About 6mm at a guess.

If you have the holes then the forks should be rod dampened. They are well sought after in their own right.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books