BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
Howard Inough
Howard Inough
Kensington, New Hampshire, USA
New BritBike book out!
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#525248 01/28/14 7:14 pm
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Can someone please show me or refer me to a picture of the correct positioning for the coils on a '67 Spitfire? I'm working on a basket case/aborted restoration project.
Oh, it's another Y bike, S/N A65SA174xx Y with Borrani wheels and 190mm front brake. Cheers.

reliccycles.com
Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Is it "Y" or "-Y"? Makes a difference. If it is "Y", then it is not a '67.

1967 BSA Wasp
1967 BSA Hornet (West Coast Model)
1967 BSA Hornet (East Coast Model)
1968 BSA Firebird Scrambler
1968 BSA Spitfire Mark IV
1965 Cyclone Competition Build
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
[Linked Image]

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gary E comes though once more! That's exactly what I needed to see. THANKS!
Be careful about what you say about the Y because nothing is cetain. This is a capital Y not a -y. No boss on the left case where the VIN number is stamped.

reliccycles.com
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Oh, I forgot to add that this is one stupid ass configuration to mount the coils like that. It's a bracket for the bracket to attach to the bracket, what a bunch of crap.

reliccycles.com
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
With a "Y" on the case, then it is likely a hybrid '68. Where is the transmission filler? On top of the case, or on top of the inner cover?

If it is a '68, then the coils are mounted differently than the image. They would have different mounting brackets. And the side cover bracket is the newer style.

1967 BSA Wasp
R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
What is the diameter of the original coils?

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I'll ask first smile Can the coils be mounted in the "double vertical" position on a 67 frame using the later brackets? Thats an issue I'll face too and the standard arrangement is a dog's breakfast.

What's this thread?
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by Gary E

If it is a '68, then the coils are mounted differently than the image. They would have different mounting brackets. And the side cover bracket is the newer style.

Ironically for the whole of the pre oif manuals post 67, they still list as having the arrangement you pictured. The bracket used is listed as Thunderbolt/Royal Star and as I found seemed a better fit on the panels than the Meccano type bracket from the 67.

If purchasing said bracket you MUST quote the number for the single carb bikes.

Now let’s all have a beer beerchug

68’ A65 Lightning “clubman”
71’ A65 823 Thunderbolt (undergoing restoration)
67’ D10 sportsman (undergoing restoration)
68’ D14 trials (undergoing transformation)

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Gary E: The transmission filler is on the inner timing cover.

Rusty Goose: I'm using the original 2" diameter coil clamps used on the big 12v coils. However I installed a piece of radiator hose that fits perfectly on the skinnier 6v coils and is also a nice, tight fit in the clamp.
I like the looks of the later brackets used on the twin carb bikes where they mount to the rear motor mounts side by side.

reliccycles.com
J
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
J
Burtons have the brackets

Last edited by jamie weeks; 01/29/14 11:38 am.
M
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
M
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon

Rusty Goose: I'm using the original 2" diameter coil clamps used on the big 12v coils. However I installed a piece of radiator hose that fits perfectly on the skinnier 6v coils and is also a nice, tight fit in the clamp.
I like the looks of the later brackets used on the twin carb bikes where they mount to the rear motor mounts side by side.

Great idea on the radiator hose. Wish I had thought of that. The Brits made stuff using lots of bolts and brackets. Their designs are kind of clumsy but on the other had you can adapt and change things fairly easily. For guys like us that like to mess and tinker, this old stuff it is great fun. I owned a BSA in the sixties and I still enjoy messing with them 45 years later.

Mr Mike

R
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
R
Thanks for the info. My other A65 has Sparx coils, ign box, reg/rec and oil filter all tucked into the area. I wanted to keep the one I'm working on now completely stock, but I know now that the coils and bracket set up are from something else. The coils are smaller dia and it is a double clamp set up from a Jap bike (metric clamp bolt).

1967 A65 Lightning
1967 Moto Guzzi V7
1969 B44 Victor Special
1966? Royal Enfield Interceptor
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Originally Posted by ChrisX
...Can the coils be mounted in the "double vertical" position on a 67 frame using the later brackets?...

Using the '68 and later brackets is an easy mounting switch to the '67. With those brackets, which mount on the top motor mount bolt, they slant backward a bit to clear the case at the drive chain area on the bottom of the left coil, and to clear both air cleaners at the top of both coils.

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member

With that feature the engine is a '68. Matching frame/engine numbers make the bike a '68. It would have been dispatched from the factory late in the '68 model year in about March to May 1968. We don't know why yet. That is being researched. I, John, and Kevin would like to see a picture of the engine number to verify.

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
Contact me www.reliccycles.com and I will send you a picture of the engine number. You should know that this is not a numbers matching bike, the frame is A65SA 155xx.

reliccycles.com
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Well picked up by Gary. Those numbers fit in very nicely. A 1967 Mk III Spitfire but now fitted with a 1968 engine from one of the Hybrid bikes made at the end of 1968 season. A nice combination.
It is the engine that has the 174XX number. As Curmudgeon has mentioned the engine has the plastic filler and the Y suffix, without the Dash. It also fits onto the spreadsheet well, indeed both numbers do.

The coils can be mounted in 1967 manner but given the points are probably the 6CA type of 1968 the the condensors may need some form of mounting as well. The 1967 frame doesn't have provision for that.
That is if the standard ignition is going to be retained anyway.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
No problem about condensors, she's getting a Pazon.
BTW Kevin, I ran into another -y Lightning today that's in for a top end. Owner said he bought the bike new in '67 in England while in the USAF. Engine A65LA182xx -y. I believe that -y is a warantee related designation.

reliccycles.com
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
...Engine A65LA182xx -y. I believe that -y is a warantee related designation.

The "-Y" denotes an upgrade to the oil manifold and the AAU (oil manifold only on the Hornet and Wasp). Nothing else. No warranty designation. We have original factory paper work to back that up.

Also, frame A65SA 155xx could be a '68 if it has the angled condensor bracket under the seat.

All of the numbers you have posted, we could utilize in our database in researching the "Y" dilema, if we had the full numbers of each.

I would contact you via the website you posted for the picture of the engine number, but the website shows "under construction", so no can do.

1967 BSA Wasp
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yep, of all the various Y suffices used on the BSA Twins used in that late sixties period I think we can safely say that the Y has nothing whatsoever to do with a warranty.

Indeed when we look at the spread sheet it is pretty obvious most of the bikes that myth is supposed to pertain to had been on the road for years.
For the record, the warranty change became effective in March 1st 1970 and was for all models of BSA and Triumph motorcycles sold new after that date. Well provided they were 1970 models, it specifically excludes any unsold 1969, 1968 and 1967 models....

The bike had to be a 1970, that is very clear in SB (Gen) 5-70 issued in May 1970.

Of all the 14,000 or so bikes that had the suffix stamped, for various reasons, over that period only about 1000 were made in 1970 and many of them may have been already sold prior to the March date.

So a few hundred Y bikes would have hopefully qualified, as would literally thousands of other bikes produced and then sold after March 1st. Every new BSA and Triumph machine that was made in the 1970 season and then sold in the States after March had the 6 month/180 day warranty. The B25 in particular was picked out as an example of the folly of that particular plan.
Somewhere about is a an average figure for the cost per bike. It was a lot when compared to the retail price... something approaching 3-5% maybe.

Lightning 182xx-Y is one of the very last 1967 bikes made. It is a Dash Y and would be expected to be a 1967 model in all respects, within the proviso it was made at the very end of the season. We know of some of that batch that went to the home market and had a few 1968 features.
A member here has had two of that batch and confirms both were on the road during 1968.
The Dash Y was to signify the oil pipe and ign cam mod had been done, as Gary mentioned.

Why, Y, Dash Y..

Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
I just went to the reliccycles website and while it does say it is under construction the home page is working and has email and phone contact info.

reliccycles.com

Moderated by  Allan G, Jon W. Whitley 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership

BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor
Home | Sponsors, Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons, | DVD- Manuals & Parts books