BritBike Forum logo
BritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike Sponsor SteadfastCyclesBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorBritBike SponsorHepolite PistonsBritBike Sponsor
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership
Member Spotlight
ChrisX
ChrisX
Lake Macquarie NSW Oz
ShoutChat Box
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Search eBay for motorcycle parts in following countries
Australia, Canada, France, Holland, Italy, United Kingdom, USA
Random Gallery photo
a word from..
Manuals on DVD (Shipping included)
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thanksgiving thoughts from the Foothills workshop
#516536 11/28/13 12:29 pm
W
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Britbikers,
Sitting here watching the sunrise over the Cascade Mountains and feeling so thankful today. Thankful for another day to celebrate with my family... another day to feel the cold, crisp air of my beloved mountain foothills...another day filled with possibilities.

Sitting here in this old workshop I can smell the gas dripping from an aging AMAL carb...get the scent of an oil leak from a AMC chaincase...and maybe even imagine the chuff of my favorite big single cylinder BSA that no longer lives here. I remember the laughter of old friends long since passed and jibes about Britbikes vs Japanese brands...sounds of my wrenches dismantling a crusty old engine and the joy of making a long silent motorcycle come to life.

These are some of the things I am thankful for today...and will be thankful for tomorrow. The possibilities are endless...and I am so thankful.

thoughts from your old britbike brother in the foothills,
Washington Bob

Support Your #1 BritBike Forum!

Check out British motorcycles for sale: British Motorcycles on e-Bay UK, British motorcycles on e-Bay North America
Re: Thanksgiving thoughts from the Foothills workshop
Washington Bob #516541 11/28/13 12:42 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Sounds wonderful Bob! Hope the rest of the day follows suit!

Waiting on friends and company to arrive here...

When singing "Kung Fu Fighting" is outlawed, only outlaws will sing "Kung Fu Fighting"
Washington Bob #516542 11/28/13 12:44 pm
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
Bob lad, don't eat too much pumpkin pie! beerchug
P.s I thought Bob Hope died!

Last edited by baza57; 11/28/13 12:45 pm.
Washington Bob #516571 11/28/13 5:53 pm
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Hi Bob..!! Glad to hear you here... Me too... I feel very thankful just to be here... all my pals... The air is cold here too.. Looking forward to the new year...!!

Ron - Better living through drugs... sigh..

Washington Bob #516587 11/28/13 10:55 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Amen, Bob. Wonderful imagery painted with a few words.

Richard

1977 T-140V
1973 T-140V
2011 Bonneville SE
Author of "Relics and Reminiscing."
Washington Bob #516623 11/29/13 9:28 am
K
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
K
Hi Bob, hope your thanksgiving was wonderful.
My 4 sons and there familys were here, It was a great day.

1968 BSA Firebird
1200 HD
XS 1100
1972 Rickman 125
Washington Bob #516633 11/29/13 11:02 am
Well'ard Rocker
Well'ard Rocker
A different Thanksgiving for us.

My sister lost her husband last year; our two boys had Thanksgiving dinner with their in-laws. So Fay and I and my sister didn't have the usual crowd at our houses.

So we went and grabbed her 82-year-old in-laws, and a 92-year-old widowed friend of our family, who were all in the same lonely boat we were, and we all went out to eat at a Thanksgiving buffet. We had a great time, great company, way too much good food.

You have to go with the changes life hands you and establish a NEW "Good Time" or you'll just sit around and sign or cry .... !

Lannis

"Why do you wear that thing, Dobby?" "This, sir? 'Tis a mark of the house-elf’s enslavement, sir."
Washington Bob #516637 11/29/13 11:49 am
I
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
I
Many of the most spiritual people I know, or have known, are my fellow motorcyclists. There is something about riding ON a vehicle instead of IN one, breathing the fresh air, living life as a participant in it, not a spectator of it, gives us a different perspective of the real values of our existence

Bob, thank you for this beautifully written insight of what you treasure in life. Happy Thanksgiving, and a blessed Christmas to you and your family.

Washington Bob #516937 12/01/13 10:30 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
"It's a wonderful life" needs a re-make in the BritBike tradition, and I know who could play the lead...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Washington Bob #516989 12/01/13 4:29 pm
In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Well said, and "amen."

Hate is a poison which one consumes hoping for another to die.
Washington Bob #517002 12/01/13 5:33 pm
W
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
W
Thanks, Bob.

Cheers, Wilf

"It's about the ride..."
Washington Bob #517003 12/01/13 5:39 pm
Life member
Life member
Good stuff, Bob. Thank you.

Mike, home is where we moor it.
T140V-Rich #517050 12/01/13 11:33 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by T140V-Rich
Amen, Bob. Wonderful imagery painted with a few words.

Richard

Well put Richard.
Bob, I'm a little late checking in on this, but that really was great. Well written. Hope you and the family had a really fine Thanksgiving.

Tom

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Washington Bob #517403 12/04/13 4:08 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WaBob,

It almost sounds like you have been behaving yourself.

I've kind of drifted away from my Brit bikes (still kept them) pursuing other bike interests at the opposite end of the spectrum.

[Linked Image]

My highly modified M/C pop-up camper complete with fridge/freezer, A/C, heat...two saddle tanks where I can transfer fuel on the fly.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've been going through tires like croton oil through a widow woman.

[Linked Image]

But, true to form, I'm back at them again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like my Norton but love my Triumphs.

[Linked Image]

Just wanted you to know that I haven't been sitting on my duff during my absence. Have built many bikes and have logged a couple 100k M/C miles since we last spoke. I'm currently building a trailer to tow a Brit bike behind my Wing...yes...I know but it keeps things interesting.

Hope you are doing well (picking & grinning?) and that our paths cross sooner rather than later.

Z

Washington Bob #517406 12/04/13 4:34 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Heckuva nice setup, but I don't get THREE camper trailer rigs unless you INSIST on camping in a different color rig every third trip...

GrandPaul (does not use emoticons)
Author of the book "Old Bikes"
Too many bikes to list, mostly Triumph & Norton, a BSA, & some Japanese
"The Iron in your blood should be Vintage"
Zackybilly1 #517409 12/04/13 4:44 pm
Moto Mojo
Moto Mojo
Originally Posted by Zackybilly1

[Linked Image]

HOLY SMOKES! Is that a motorcycle or an aeroplane?
For cryin out loud, do NOT push the wrong combination of buttons- you'll microwave every potato within a 50 mile radius. laughing

Last edited by ricochetrider; 12/04/13 4:46 pm.

"It is no measure of health, to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."

Washington Bob #517431 12/04/13 8:23 pm
W
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Holy Moses Zackman!Those are some amazing motorbikes you have there not to mention a shop like none I have ever seen in my parts. So good for you to drop by and say hey.

It appears that you have moved ....now in Mississippi instead of Louisiana? How is the family doing? Still doing machine work and fabrication for oil rigs? Please forgive me if my memory is a bit messed up...cancer and several strokes did not help that much. But to quote Monty Python, " I got better".

Yes...I am still pickin' and grinnin'.....actually I think the strokes helped out my guitar playing!

Wow...my son Geoff asked me the last time he stopped by if I had heard where you were lately...small world my friend.

One more blessing on an old Britbiker...I am so incredibly blessed by my Britbike family.

from the freakin' cold foothills of Mt. Rainier,
Bob

Washington Bob #517473 12/05/13 1:15 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
Yeah it might be cold Bob but this is my favorite winter riding weather. Rain gets old.

Ed
1970 Bonneville
Washington Bob #517475 12/05/13 1:36 am
W
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Amen Ed...well said...at least we have some sun! Cold as Hell but sunny!

Zackybilly1 #517476 12/05/13 1:41 am
B
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
B
WOW Zackybilly, where do you have the FLIR turret mounted on that thing! our helicopters dont have that much stuff in them. lol

Washington Bob #517545 12/05/13 2:00 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WaBob,

Cancer and strokes???...just goes to prove its hard to keep a good man down.

Before, I was living in Mississippi and commuting in/out of New Orleans every day. I have since (2007) moved the business up into Mississippi so another Katrina won't get us.

I got interested in doing long-distance/Iron Butt riding and have been pre-occupied with it for a good while now. I have ridden in all the lower 48 states and would like to ride to Prudhoe Bay, AK when the opportunity arises.

The motorcycle shop pictured also doubles as my home. I built a 50' x 100' shop with 18' walls (all climate controlled), used 2500 sq ft for my home and the balance is motorcycle goodies. I also have 2500 sq ft above the "living quarters" for wrenching, too. So when I can't sleep, I just go out in the shop in my drawers (scary visual image) and work on things until I get sleepy. I was running out of floor space so I added a 1,000 sq ft mezzanine for more footage. Underneath the mezzanine, I hung as much florescent lighting as would fit for my work area...looks like WalMart its so bright. Another added benefit is I have no grass to mow...just concrete around the shop.

I'm am starting a semi-restoration on my old '69 T120R...I sold it to my brother and he ragged it out pretty good so I have rescued it from him. I also have a '68 T120R I will do after the '69. Along with all this, I'm going to build a Brit bike for Iron Butt rides. I haven't figured out what type of bike or base platform to build it from but hope to get some input/advice from my Brit biker buddies on the build.

I often wondered how you were doing and if the stars will line up, I'd like to ride out and shake your hand. I always have an excuse to ride but finding the time is usually the trick.

It was a frigid 73 degree here this morning and now up to 79 degrees...but we are going to power through it.

Z

Bob E #517547 12/05/13 2:11 pm
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
No turret...just the camera for spotting road rats.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Z

Washington Bob #517587 12/05/13 7:31 pm
W
Britbike forum member
OP Offline
Britbike forum member
W
Hey Zackman,
What a wonderful shop to build the ultimate long distance runner. An Iron Butt britbike would be awesome also.

Long story short...I got very ill(terminal)...had some strokes(3) and then decided I was not done here yet and recovered (mostly). My family sold off my Britbike collection to pay off the medical bills (all of them) but kept my shop with all my tools and parts intact. My kids protected my musical instruments from being removed by helpful friends and relatives when they thought the end was near.
The wonderful old black Strat and Peavy amp are sitting nearby me and ready to rock. Still one of the best sounding Strats I have ever heard. Someday you must tell me where you got that guitar...it is indeed special and has some songs in it!

Welcome back to Britbike...I cannot wait to see what you can do now with a Triumph Twin. Take good care my friend,
Washington Bob

Washington Bob #517619 12/06/13 1:41 am
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
WaBob,

You are a card and few folks get as down to earth as you. Sounds like you dodged a bullet for sure. I know how I am about my stuff, I'm sure your miss your goodies that were in your shop. I've got worn out brit parts that I've had for years that don't mean anything to anybody but me. They each have a story or remind me of the events leading up to them not being useful parts any more.

As far as the Strat, no matter how bad I wanted to be musically inclined, I just couldn't seem to get there from here. The best thing I ever did with it was to pass it on to capable hands. Now my two older sons took to guitars like a duck to water in Jr. High. Now, they are both playing custom-built 6, 7 & 8 string guitars but only for their own amusement. It's all Greek to me and they are so far ahead of me that I can't even talk guitars with them any more. My oldest got his Mechanical Engineer degree about 2 years ago and is my retirement plan...eventually. The next son down determined he wasn't college material and now head's up our Field Service going out on rigs installing equipment.

Now that I know what you've been through, it makes me truly appreciate even more the fact that you are still walking the face of the planet. You have a few years on me but I'm quickly learning that one of the worst things about getting older is the increased rate of loss in friends and family. I suspected it before but now I know for certain that your can't take these people for granted and if you have something to share with them...better get to sharing. "One of these days" is now.

There are many fine people here and I'm glad my motorcycle addiction has drawn me back this direction. It sure is handy that Al Gore invented the internet where it is easier to find like-minded folks with similar interest...especially those like you with a positive outlook and attitude.

Z

Washington Bob #517621 12/06/13 3:35 am
A
Britbike forum member
Britbike forum member
A
Pilot Zackbilly, do your wear a braided peaked cap when you ride that Goldwing? smile

I presume you also have two thumbs on your left hand to operate that switchblock? laugh

Last edited by Adrian1; 12/06/13 3:39 am.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bill50cal 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | Sponsors | Newsletter | Regalia | Calendar | Bike Project | BritBike Museum | Spiders Cartoons | DVD- Manuals & Parts books
Upgrade to: Premium Membership | Gold Membership | Life Membership | Vendor Membership | Site Sponsor Membership